Tiger Boxer - Honda Phantom - K.boss ?

Jessy

I admit I am a novice when it comes to bikes other than my daily experience of riding step-ups like Honda Waves etc. in Thailand. For some time I have had my heart set on purchasing a Phantom or Boss, and now I also have interest in the Tiger Boxer 250 too. Thing is, I am very tall at about 6ft 2 inch. I have not really read anything about what bikes are more comfortable for a very tall person (other than an excellent thread about the Kawasaki Boss). -Of the three bikes, which is more suitable? I am not into speed. Realiabilty and comfort is far more important to me (as is good all round performance).

Thanks to those who responded to my last thread (number of Phantoms and Bosses on the road)

Hi Jessy

I have owned a Boss which I was happy with and now own a Phantom, I am 6'1", neither bike is uncomfortable for me. I have used the Phantom to commute to work many times, 130Km and 110 Km round trips. I fitted Footplates in place of the pegs on the Phantom, this gives you the opportunity to comfortably change your riding position frequently. The longer gear lever that is part of the modification also gives a far more positive gear change, cost was about 2500 baht from the Honda dealer. I have never ridden a Boxer so cannot comment on that.

I have covered 18000 Kms on the bike in a little over 2 years and have no complaints, only a replacement battery in that time and regular services at 4000 Kms, I also do a mid service oil change at 2000 Kms. The sprockets and chain are still in good condition, still plenty of tread on the tyres too.

I will probably change them at 20000 Kms. The cam chain tensioner is a potential problem to be aware of, if it fails then the valves will smash into the top of the piston and require a top end rebuild. I plan to have it changed at 25000 kms.

Hope this helps

Aitch

First I need to say that I'm not a fan of the Honda Phantom TA200, but I will be as objective as possible. Both the Honda Phantom and Kawasaki Boss are different style of motorcycles then the Tiger Boxer 250RS.

For me the Honda Phantom and the Kawasaki Boss are cruisers, best compared to relaxing chair with a engine, the Tiger Boxer is a all-round motorcycle and is very capable of touring the country-side, riding downtown and whatever...

I not say that the Honda or the Kawasaki is not good enough, if you go for a Honda Phantom, calculate directly a tire change and some descent rear-shocks to the purchase price. The tire change I see as most important as, the stock tires on the Honda Phantom are outright dangerous if you take a corner a bit fast...

The Tiger Boxer 250RS is the best motorcycle if it comes to power to weight ratio, the 200cc Honda Phantom is the same weight as a BMW 650cc X-Moto... You will not impress the ladies riding a Phantom, but than depending on your age...you probably will not impress many people with a Tiger Boxer also...

Both Tiger and Honda are overall well build... So I believe it comes down on your personal preference of bike style and riding position...

Interesting observations Richard BKK

I agree with what you say, any recommendations for the tyres and rear shocks? The Phantom suits me fine as I am way beyond being a boy racer, and like to cruise comfortably. I would be interested to hear your recommendations for the tyres and rear shocks. I asked at my local dealer in Phetchabun, with whom I have a good rapport, answer "Same Same" doh.

I have a few challenging bends around here and have only had to bail out once, due to rubbernecking a stunning lady when I should have been braking, luckily there was a road to exit stage left at the apex of a negative camber 60 degree bend.

Thanks for the feedback

Aitch

Edited by aitch52

A good tire which is recommended by many Phantom riders is the Metzeler ME 77 Vintage Line, the distributor is Paddock International, located on Rachadapisek Rd Bangkok. I hear people tell good things about YSS shocks for the Honda Phantom, but never seen them... so you need to check that yourself...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Another motorcycle as alternative which I can recommend as alternative to the Honda Phantom TA200 is the Lifan LF250-B is powered by a V-twin 250cc and is a bit bigger then the Phantom and likewise also a bit stronger.

c_lifan_lf250-b.jpg

Lifan is a Chinese company, but the quality of Lifan bikes is pretty good...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I have covered 18000 Kms on the bike in a little over 2 years and have no complaints, only a replacement battery in that time and regular services at 4000 Kms, I also do a mid service oil change at 2000 Kms. The sprockets and chain are still in good condition, still plenty of tread on the tyres too.

Wow- 18,000km on the original tires?! They must indeed be a very hard compound to last that long... Yikes!

Another motorcycle as alternative which I can recommend as alternative to the Honda Phantom TA200 is the Lifan LF250-B is powered by a V-twin 250cc and is a bit bigger then the Phantom and likewise also a bit stronger.

c_lifan_lf250-b.jpg

Lifan is a Chinese company, but the quality of Lifan bikes is pretty good...

Hi, Is this bike available now and what is the price?

The Lifan LF250-B is available, but Lifan Thailand has currently very limited dealers. I believe they will start a big dealer finding mission in next month. If you are interested in a dealership you can contact them, they also will introduce the same model in 400cc (later in the year).

Sure I would like a bigger bike, but for what I use a bike for, I find the Phantom adequate and very affordable (cheap). I have made a few adjustments to make it more comfortable for cruising around the Chiang Rai countryside.

Highway pegs make for a nice leg position and I recently had the saddle modified so I could move back a little more. A little more padding was also added and is greatly appreciated by my ample bottom on long rides.

It cruises along nicely at 100 or so, but will not quite make 120 on the flats. Most of the roads I ride on are not very safe at faster speeds anyway. Many turns are so rough or sandy that I doubt any tire would make it advisable to try and put a knee down.

Anyway, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with my Phantom and my ego is not in need of a phallic extension, of some overly expensive import. Of course that might change as I get even older.

I sometimes take out my Enfield Bullet on a weekend, and riding the countryside at speeds around 90 to 100 km/h and you start to appreciate things in a different matter. I can imagine that riding a Honda Phantom is a similar experience... It is not what you ride it is the enjoyment you have with your two-wheels.

I sometimes take out my Enfield Bullet on a weekend, and riding the countryside at speeds around 90 to 100 km/h and you start to appreciate things in a different matter. I can imagine that riding a Honda Phantom is a similar experience... It is not what you ride it is the enjoyment you have with your two-wheels.

Where to get the Enfield Bullet from? I like this bike.....good old days :) ,

fidel

:) I bought the Bullet from a person in Mae Hong Son, it was unregistered, and the paperwork was a mess. It came apparently from Burma, I did two trips to Burma to correct the paper work... and did pay under and above the enough to buy a decent amount of money to get the Enfield registered in Thailand.

The Enfield was an domestic Indian motorcycle, so it also did not pass the Thai emission rules but with the help of some people at Enfield India and the import of the right parts this was no problem... I still hope somebody will pickup the Thai distribution ship of the Enfield's for Thailand. Thailand and India have a free-trade agreement and within years the bikes will be able to enter Thailand without huge duty...

Thanks all for sharing your expert knowledge and bike experience. The Phantom is probably better suited for someone like me with my height and I am certainly no boy racer, prefering to enjoy the view at lowish to modertate speeds. The Lifan LF250B Chinese bike looks good. I did some checks on internet. Here it is on youtube:

Otherwise there are some good things said but more negative comments such as this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...03123827AAPbgrQ

I guess we wil have to wait and see how things pan out with the bike - if it takes off in Thailand.

I have a 2005 Phantom which I bought at the end of June and I have clocked 5,000 km since then.

I find it Ok though my main problem is that the seat needs more padding to acommodate my frame and weight.

I will probably sell it if anyone is interested as I am doing a lot of touring since I retired and need something in the same style with a bit more oomph in it.

I'd like to flog my custom painted Phantom (at 50k it's a steal), only had it 6 months but at 140kg I find it too heavy, 120kph top end not sufficient for my needs. With custom high bars and big fat seat it's certainly comfy for taller and/or fatter people. I'd be interested in a nice v-twin 250 like the Lifan but it weighs a hefty 152 kilos (12 more than the Phantom and about 15 more than a Virago 250)??? It does not even have a bitch bar so where's all the extra weight gone? Does it have an electric massaging seat, ashtray stereo or does it come free with a bag of rice (attached)? That extra weight counts when you are climbing a hill in the p*ssing rain behind a dirty lorry with a Fortuner up your a*se on your daily half hour commute. If you are cruising around town it's no problem, at least all that weight makes it a very stable and comfortable bike to ride. It does look good (for a 200!). Secondhand it's a steal, new - it's probably not worth all that cash you could buy a car instead.

• 9 years later...

Richard BKK... I have a question since this thread mingled with The Thai Boxer...

I have a Boxer 200cc, which I bought with extremely low road use (less then 8,000 kms. The Police Bike in it early days had the front wheel and forks destroyed when a 4 wheeled police vehicle backed over it. I was informed by a friend there could be a chance to buy this Bike as no one in the district seemed to want to repair it. ???? Well long story shortened I got the Bike and everything to get green book, but that's not the issue, Ok?

I built a Low profile Heavy Duty Hardtail frame for this Engine. Had the Engine taken down and handcarried it back to Ohio to have a Major Harley Davidson Engine Builder see what the could do to beef my Girl up, while my wife and I were visiting family. To make this story shorter I chose to use Phantom TA200 front Forks completely. when I got down to the wheel/Hub I did not want to use the stock Honda wheel here. I am a little old school and absolutely love the looks of Wire Wheels (Now you know my issue)

Is there a 36H spoked Hub that will use the Phantom Rotor (Honda Part Number #45290-KPP-901) I have spokes, I have an 18x1.8 or a 19x2.0 chromed spoked rim. So on that end I am set. I do not care if hub is stainless, Alloy, Steel... as long as it can be chromed. Hub can even be used! and Painted! I am not above stripping it and getting it Blasted then Chromed. I have access to Bearings and seals...

I just need a hub that will fit the Phantom Forks and use the stock rotor/caliper and brackets.... I will go one step further I want a hub that can be mounted in the Phantom forks and let me have disc brakes! How's that... Field is wide open.

I may have or not perked your curiosity here so I have Included a Photo or two of Build in Progress. Bike has a Wide tire offset (Gear Box) so I could run up to a 220mm wide tire.

I hope you have information or know people here who do... I am in Chiang Mai (Nong Hoi area).

Note: Picture here is showing a 120/80/17 tire on a 4,25 Rim.. It now has a 160mm/60/17 tire on a 4.50 rim. In process of welding brackets for forward Brake and foot clutch, you can see black knob for Jockey shift... It will have dual clutch controls, foot and Hand. If interested I will take better pictures. I will need to modify right side of Petrol tank to clearTop of Carburetor and Velocity Stack maybe braze in a scoop to kinda protect it. It does have an electrostatic filter installed just like our wall hung A.C. units

Thanks for any help you can supply,

David

62435547_2446470305442038_3075459599143272448_o.jpg

64498235_2460775764011492_4358506591205457920_o.jpg

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1