Cheapest Areas Of Thailand

kevbomac05

OK, grow a beard, buy a kaftan and head down to the Muslim South, there are deals aplenty to be had down there, pretty scenery, nice beaches, completely devoid of tourists, this is for you. Learning a couple of Arabic phrases wouldn't hurt before you set off. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. There are some real curmudgeons on this site. They just don't get it.

Oh to be 17 years old, free and single.

Enjoy yourself my friend. Two huge bits of advice from an old fart which I hope you do not find patronizing, it's certainly not intended to be.

1) Avoid like the plague anyone involved with drugs. If you're frequenting backpacking areas you will probably come into contact with some.

2) It's so so easy to lose your heart with a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile. In Thailand it's rather difficult to know what's behind the smile. So be careful.

Other than that enjoy your experience and ignore the doubters.

no sir

thankyou for the advice

i dont do drugs

i look forward to having a great time in Thailand and all the other places i plan on traveling too

thanks for all the wonderful advice

just living everyday like its my last

I'd recommend heading straight to Khao San Road in Bangkok when you land. There are some very cheap guesthouses (100 - 500 baht) and it's a good place to meet like minded people. There are plenty of things to see and do in Bangkok, but when you are ready to move on there are plenty of cheap travel agents and you're in the central transport hub of the country, whether you want to fly, train or bus it to your next stop.

Have fun.

I'd recommend heading straight to Khao San Road in Bangkok when you land. There are some very cheap guesthouses (100 - 500 baht) and it's a good place to meet like minded people. There are plenty of things to see and do in Bangkok, but when you are ready to move on there are plenty of cheap travel agents and you're in the central transport hub of the country, whether you want to fly, train or bus it to your next stop.

Have fun.

Agreed. I know a very cheap guesthouse near Khao San (100 baht a night). If you are on a very low budget try to avoid the islands. Usually accommodation and food are more expansive than on the mainland.

No need to avoid the islands. There are cheap markets, street restaurants and so, too. The choice for accommodations is wide, cheap places can be found easily. Check Lonely Planet for that or speak with fellow travellers in Khao San.

Edited by Birdman

Have fun.

Agreed. I know a very cheap guesthouse near Khao San (100 baht a night). If you are on a very low budget try to avoid the islands. Usually accommodation and food are more expansive than on the mainland.

Yeah I agree. Some of the islands are well worth a visit though if you can afford it. Really are paradise. I like Koh Samet on the east coast. You're looking at paying 500 baht a night for a basic bungalow, 70 - 100 baht for a small beer and 70 - 150 for Thai food, so a bit more expensive than the mainland but well worth it. Those were low season prices, I'm not sure if they'll be different now it's high season.

I've been over here twice. The first time for two weeks on a very high budget, where I could pretty much do what I wanted. This time I've been here for three months on a much lower budget. With hindsight, I'd probably have come for two months and had more money to spend. But I've still had a great time, just couldn't do as much as I wanted. Plenty of people come over here on much lower budgets than me, and get on fine, but I guess experiencing it on a higher budget before a lower one makes me a little biased.

I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you do.

Edited by JayF

No need to avoid the islands. There are cheap markets, street restaurants and so, too. The choice for accommodations is wide, cheap places can be found easily. Check Lonely Planet for that or speak with fellow travellers in Khao San.

I used to travel on a very low budget. Usually islands are more expansive. Especially small islands like Phi Phi, Kho Tao and Kho Samet. Of course you can live cheap also on an island, but it's likely you are going to spend more than on the mainland. It depends on your budget if you can afford to live on an island or not.

2) It's so so easy to lose your heart with a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile.
Beautiful Thai girls do not smile to penniless backpackers so there's no danger of losing heart here :)

you are wrong again.

Another member of the "I don't pay for sex brigade" who will inevitably end paying for alimony for all his life ...if he's not doing that already :D

2) It's so so easy to lose your heart with a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile.
Beautiful Thai girls do not smile to penniless backpackers so there's no danger of losing heart here :)

you are wrong again.

Another member of the "I don't pay for sex brigade" who will inevitably end paying for alimony for all his life ...if he's not doing that already :D

Didn't you know, that the last thing backpackers have in mind are places you like to go?

Edited by Birdman

i know you want to be on a beach,why i dont know you wont see thailand there, i stayed in an appartment in surin for 2,500 a month, one large room with bed, air con, and small balcony with toilet and shower on it, cold shower i might add,lol, and that was only last month when i went back to surin to give it up, i kept it as a bolt hole should things ever go wrong, for that money you cant go wrong, take it easy ron

in summary there are two kind of money those with money and those whom are rich themselves.

better to live with the one whom are rich and to visit the ones with money.

Travelling on low budget force you to listen to others not to travel in your bubble when too much money to spare basically.

Carry on with common sense

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

this is what i want to hear thankyou

im just talking about a place to crash at night

it dont need to be fancy

im coming in late march and staying for a month

but 300 for a beach hut sounds nice

or 150 baht for a small place

i guess when i get to thailand ill need to do some looking around

and to all the old geezers getting there pantys in a bunch because a young backpacker is coming looking for cheap accmondation

relax

thanks for the reply's

You mention beaches, so that rules out the north.

Check out nakhon_si_thammarat_beaches

and chumphon_beaches

and as most frequent travlers know....

you can not beat the price nor the hospitality of

T R A N G B E A C H E S AND COASTAL ISLANDS, and

SONGKHLA is another inexpensive area as well....

Edited by nakachalet

In my twenties and thirties I traveled all over the world on a shoestring budget ... before Lonely Planet guides. Not only did I have great adventures but it also made me very self sufficient and confident, and I had experiences and insights that the rich tourists will never see. Now in my mid sixties and wealthy I seek more comforts and amenities, but my past experiences on the cheap allow me to be flexible when need be. To the OP I say "Go for it ... and have a great adventure that will change your life forever!"

I know of one VERY VERY CHEAP place. It's at the far end of Thailand; the only road is a dirt road that leads there so you have to be prepared for a 4 hour trip on an old bus from the nearest crumbling train station. But there are no mountais there so the ride is not too bad. There is no beach, lake or river either since the place is just a regular village in the middle of a dreadful countryside. As you can imagine there are no tourists there and the place is as boring as shit. But it's realy very very cheap. Please write for precise directions if interested ;-)

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

this is what i want to hear thankyou

im just talking about a place to crash at night

it dont need to be fancy

im coming in late march and staying for a month

but 300 for a beach hut sounds nice

or 150 baht for a small place

i guess when i get to thailand ill need to do some looking around

and to all the old geezers getting there pantys in a bunch because a young backpacker is coming looking for cheap accmondation

relax

thanks for the reply's

For 300? I would expect at least double bed, aircon, fridge, tv, warm water, wifi and a fan

can that be had? sure can, will go there again next month.

But then i think I still can get a hotel for 550 in phuket in the right season with the same, or room with almost the same for 400 (the difference? the 550 one has a nice pool)

But I won't tell you where, the finding your own places is all part of the adventure

relax

thanks for the reply's

You tell 'em. Some of these guy's obviously can't remember what it was like to be young. They probably just remember when they had to bail out their son with a bank transfer when they'd over spent their budget.

Thanks Dad.

My suggestion is buy a lonely planet. It has budget hotels listed for many places and as far as food goes buy on the street. I travelled thailand for years on less than a thousand baht a day. All I used was lonely planet to get an idea where low cost questhouses where and then went there and searched for one I wanted to stay in.

Sorry to say but here you will get little info, do some homework out of a book. I still have my original lonely planet book and still use it . Costs go up but general areas are the same relatively.

Thailand is as cheap as you are smart. If streetwise and alert and willing to negotiate and willnot be intimidated you get everything you want or need for very cheap. If you spend little time informing yourself and think cash is king it can be expensive. It is up to you.

you shouldnot look at any particular place rather look for places everywhere you go that suit your budget.

Edited by lovelomsak

lovelomsak

L O L ......

for <1,000 baht a day....? L O L

i am sure there are hundred of us here who could find a much much better and much much more enlightening living experiences .... lol

with that amount of expendable resources per day.... are you certain you are reading the right tour book, my friend?.... L O L

My first while here, I used the LP book. It was great. Got me in my first hotel in the new town. Then go out looking for the next one. Haven't used the book in quite a while as over the last couple of years I have become quite good at Thai. Came over here at age 43...first time out in the world. I found that a hotel room was just a bed....you can get an expensive one...or a cheap one. I didn't come here to see the inside of a hotel room. If I wanted the comforts of home, I would have stayed there. Travel cheap, learn about the country and the locals. You won't really get that in cars, airplanes, or hotel rooms. After you learn about the country, cars and airplanes are great, allthough I still prefer motorcycles. Have a great trip. :)

Well, for me broadband would be a must. Never had it via satellite though.

Would you share your digs? Most folks just sleep on a mat in a crowded room.

Keep looking - I know a maybe 530 k Baht condo in Nonthaburi, furnished with aircon and underground parking. 30 Baht restaurants nearby, the usual small stores, washing salons etc.

With internet, some remote Isaan village would be okay for me. Without it, i would become stir-crazy and very unhappy!