To The Millions Of Overseas People Who Read This Sight

petercallen

I realise this thread is about Phuket, but a lot of retirees are looking to make their pensions go further. Who wants to downgrade their lifestyle to lower end items, who doesn't want a nice car, as a retiree, many who have worked their whole lives for this moment why make the move when you have to live a downgraded lifestyle?

Prospective retirees shouldn't be put off by these comments and prices, what you need to do is check out other places in Thailand. My particuar lifestyle here is much the same as I had in Australia and about 50 times better than the UK and I still live 60% cheaper than I did before. I don't go without, I have a nice car, a lovely home and more.

High tourist places have high prices, there are many beautiful areas in Thailand where your pension will do you very nicely and still pay for the trip "home" occassionally.

That's very true. Phuket is one of the more expensive places to live/retire in Thailand. Cost of housing (whether buy or rent), drinking at bars, eating, is generally more expensive than in-country. But then again you have to consider the standard of housing, and restaurants available in-country. You pay more for a higher standard and Phuket has a far better infrastructure compared with many places in Thailand.

I have quite a good lifestyle here in Kata, Phuket and my costs are cheaper than back in the UK. I know many guys retired here on Phuket Island, and most would agree that they have a better lifestyle here with their limited resources compared with the life they would have back in their home country.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The climate here is very similar to cairns in Australia, there are good hospitals and medical services, shopping centres where you can buy western foods and most things you want, golf, tennis, ten pin bowling, lawn bowling, cinemas, good beaches, away from patong many very reasonably priced restaurants you can eat out every day of the week if you want to, if you prefer to eat at home fresh food is very reasonalby priced compared to Australia, where i live its mixed Thais and expats and most people are friendly, phuket is a great place to live.

Just a reminder of Thaivisa's Forum Netiquette which can be found in the pull down Forum menu above:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native english speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

Fully agree, and I'm sure that most regular posters acknowledge that not everyone within the forum is a native English speaker, and I know that most make (without wishing to sound condescending) allowances and understand the spirit without ever commenting on spelling correctness. However, in this instance, the disparity between the quality of the OP's previous posts, and this particular one, leads to the potential belief that someone has 'hacked' their account.

Thats not strictly true..

There IS capital gains taxation.. Its just taxed under the 'income' levels..

The amount of people who bought and sold a home, then were surprised to find they owe 100's of k tax is always shocking, dont these guys research it ??

I agree, in that what could be considered 'Capital Gains' is in fact treated as income, which can be rolled into the annual accumulation for tax purposes. Also concur, lack of research can be a great source of grief, however the tax regime of Thailand still errs towards the 'sympathetic' rather than the outright 'gimme' of countries such as the UK.

Which is how the rich accumulate their wealth ...... and pay no taxes on it.

Not sure about that, more a case of eliminating the less than well off from paying taxes me thinks. Really don't think we should be going down the road of 'like for like', because there are significant deductions made in Western countries, outwith taxation, for services such as social and medical security which don't happen here. However, here there's still the element of personal choice, and where you choose to spend your income rather than the state deciding.

The climate here is very similar to cairns in Australia, there are good hospitals and medical services, shopping centres where you can buy western foods and most things you want, golf, tennis, ten pin bowling, lawn bowling, cinemas, good beaches, away from patong many very reasonably priced restaurants you can eat out every day of the week if you want to, if you prefer to eat at home fresh food is very reasonalby priced compared to Australia, where i live its mixed Thais and expats and most people are friendly, phuket is a great place to live.

Peter, you're absolutely right. In spite of the comments made by myself (and others) doubting that perhaps you were not the originator of the post, forget the text, the spirit is understood, and many of us are of the same frame of mind. Good to get positive comments on Phuket, rather than the plethora of negativeness that we read on all too often occasions.

OK, I shall re-phrase...half price road tax...

Are the roads half as well maintained ??

IIRC I did a years road tax on a merc this summer in the UK and it was 160 or 170.. Insurance fully comp for the year was +- 350 GBP.. Whats a merc run insurance on here ??

IIRC I did a years road tax on a merc this summer in the UK and it was 160 or 170.. Insurance fully comp for the year was +- 350 GBP.. Whats a merc run insurance on here ??

In truth, probably depends where in the UK you're talking about. They certainly aren't as 'billiard table' smooth as Switzerland for example, and the motorways don't come even close to countries such as Spain for maintenance, let alone the secondary roads in rural areas. Not that it's of much consequence, as in the UK the average travelling speed is so low through congestion/road works/speed cameras etc etc, a decent stereo/radio to while away the time is the most important factor.

Agree with you on insurance, but then we're getting into the debate about price of cars here, and that's a whole new ball game. For example, who in their right mind would spend 4 million baht on a very base Merc that in the UK would cost circa 30,000 pounds (i.e. 1.6 million baht)? Insurance is always based on (local) value, so of course a Merc here is going to cost more to insure. More pertinent I think is the maintenance (main dealer) costs. Don't think I've paid much more than a 1000 baht for a service for either my (2 year) Fortuner, or (1 year) Accord.

Ok. But a lot easier to read your rant with paragraphs.

Even easier, but probably no more informative, if you could spell.

Great, the first two replies are bagging on the OP about paragraphs and spelling..........

OP I'm with you but sorry to say the state of this forum is where I got my handle.

I think for a lot of people an expensive Merc isn't particularly important. That's the whole point of leaving countries like England, where you need things like expensive cars to make you feel better about your miserable existence. I think a lot of people would rather ride a scooter to the beach or to a restaurant for breakfast than drive a Merc to work in the rain, which is what people are having to do in the UK, well after retirement age, to make ends meet.

It comes down to the over all quality of life, which for me is ten times better here than the UK, even if a few cut backs on luxury items have to be made. Well done to the OP for starting a positive thread for once. Thankfully the people who want to reply normally, out number the ones that want to be negative the first chance they get. They're the biggest thing wrong with this place

I think for a lot of people an expensive Merc isn't particularly important. That's the whole point of leaving countries like England, where you need things like expensive cars to make you feel better about your miserable existence. I think a lot of people would rather ride a scooter to the beach or to a restaurant for breakfast than drive a Merc to work in the rain, which is what people are having to do in the UK, well after retirement age, to make ends meet.

It comes down to the over all quality of life, which for me is ten times better here than the UK, even if a few cut backs on luxury items have to be made. Well done to the OP for starting a positive thread for once. Thankfully the people who want to reply normally, out number the ones that want to be negative the first chance they get. They're the biggest thing wrong with this place

good post WH

Personally I see 2 aspects where this is easier to make the change.. Those in the first five or so years of being here, while everything is still new and an adventure, and for those who are as you put it nearing 'retirement age' and perhaps slowing down (As we used to joke about Rawai.. Gods waiting room :D ).. People of middle age and over it must be easier to relax a bit, step back, downsize etc.. They have had a life of challenges and times so the ability to chill in the sun is very appealing (for all of us, I hate the winters).

For those of us in our 30s and under tho, the desire for action, for fast cars, motorsport and other high octane fun is still there, its not necessarily about a merc for show or other status driven things, its about just living your life to the full. Back in the west I did skydiving, hang and paragliding, proper cart racing, theres just a different type of attractions and distractions, summer music fests, low cost enthusiast motor sports, etc. This summer back in the UK I was able to take the missus to goodwood festival of speed, the history, the house and grounds, the show, the beauty of cars as art and accessibility for everyone. Thats not about status and wealth its just an enjoyable part of life that you need to find other things to take over from. If only the sun would shine year round (or even for a few months !! :) ).

As I mentioned here we have a superb sailing playground, and the travel options here are really accessible, I have clocked up far more hops (due to visas) to Hong Kong, Bali or India (tuk tuk racing.. That was a hoot) than I probably would from a western base. With all the budgets opening up Vietnam and China theres lots on my to do list for short breaks, more than I seem to have time for with new biz interests. So its not a lack of things to do it just about finding the substitutions that work for you.

OK, I shall re-phrase...half price road tax...

The average price for road tax on a merc in the UK is around 245 quid I believe unless it is pre 2001 or a smaller engined vehicle. I have no idea on insurance costs here as I bought a new car with a free year included.

The baht bus thing that runs round the island is also much cheaper than public transport abroad. Not a great service but still cheap.

:) I couldn’t disagree with you more. Every sentence is riddled with clichés, humbug and dismissive piffle. Why anybody can’t just be honest about why they come to Lalaland – period and just have to justify and then justify some more, the reasons for coming or being there is really the biggest joke. Me? I go for some winter sun, the lass’s (being the most colossal pervert :D ) and a good party. The rest you are all quite welcome to and would never deign to part you from.

I arrive for my ‘fix’ on the 23rd, so Melly Kitmah and yoo all hab happii noo year na khrap.

Hic, :D

Billy.

But if you want to wait at the side of the road the baht buses aren't real practical, as they won't leave there starting places without passengers, so their schedules are erratic. I can't wait at the side of the road for an hour for one. If I knew one came by at X:35ish or whatever, I would use them.

The baht bus thing that runs round the island is also much cheaper than public transport abroad. Not a great service but still cheap.

But the buses around Phuket stop about 17.30. Really handy ... :)

I get your point but I am trying to piont out that alot of the services are cheaper here than in our home countries. Given that alot of people think that Phuket is a complete rip-off and not cheaper than 'back home.'

In my experience of english public transport they are completely unreliable and probably 500% more expenive.

But the buses around Phuket stop about 17.30. Really handy ... :)

I get your point but I am trying to piont out that alot of the services are cheaper here than in our home countries. Given that alot of people think that Phuket is a complete rip-off and not cheaper than 'back home.'

In my experience of english public transport they are completely unreliable and probably 500% more expenive.

But again.. Like for like.. Quality for quality..

An open air / sided bus.. With no fixed schedule.. Going only between some points hardly anyone wants to go to (Patong to Karon via phuket town !!) that finishes mid afternoon. This is what your having to scrape up to come up with an example..

LOTS of things are cheaper, almost anything that involves low skilled labour is massively cheaper. Tho the fact that theres such a huge poor underclass, I am not sure thats something we should be triumphing in.

Phuket is extremely diverse, from Patong to Ao Po, from international jet set DJ's and 250 million baht villas to little rural villages, you can eat in high end restaurants or roadside stalls, we have a superb marine playground (I wish they would protect it a little more) and a blue ocean that ranks up there with any worldwide. And even then Phuket is a microcosm of tourism within Thailand overall, so theres room for everyone to find a style that suits them.

But again.. Like for like.. Quality for quality..

An open air / sided bus.. With no fixed schedule.. Going only between some points hardly anyone wants to go to (Patong to Karon via phuket town !!) that finishes mid afternoon. This is what your having to scrape up to come up with an example..

LOTS of things are cheaper, almost anything that involves low skilled labour is massively cheaper. Tho the fact that theres such a huge poor underclass, I am not sure thats something we should be triumphing in.

Phuket is extremely diverse, from Patong to Ao Po, from international jet set DJ's and 250 million baht villas to little rural villages, you can eat in high end restaurants or roadside stalls, we have a superb marine playground (I wish they would protect it a little more) and a blue ocean that ranks up there with any worldwide. And even then Phuket is a microcosm of tourism within Thailand overall, so theres room for everyone to find a style that suits them.

The comparison doesnt have to be like for like, Im not claiming that the service is better than the London underground.

I am just mentioning that people can live here and use services/utilities which are necessities very cheaply which isnt possible in many other countries. There are many power cuts here, Water isnt drinkable, the public transport is slow and doesnt come on time, the roads have pot holes, the internet is so-so, we dont have 3G etc etc. But its cheap....so for many people moving to thailand its perfectly exceptable.

The comparison doesnt have to be like for like, Im not claiming that the service is better than the London underground.

I am just mentioning that people can live here and use services/utilities which are necessities very cheaply which isnt possible in many other countries. There are many power cuts here, Water isnt drinkable, the public transport is slow and doesnt come on time, the roads have pot holes, the internet is so-so, we dont have 3G etc etc. But its cheap....so for many people moving to thailand its perfectly exceptable.

Agreed on all counts.. If you downgrade your lifestyle, forgo many consumer items, etc etc things can be cheap. The more Thai style you go the cheaper it is. I bet if you lived in a tin shack with no possessions its cheap as hel_l, but I doubt many retirees want to go that far. Its all about balance, about finding the point where the compromises meet the prices your willing to pay. All I try to point out is if you want to live with less compromises its pretty easy to end up more expensive than the west, the TAT seems to want 'quality tourists' the elite card scam / scheme was pitched firmly at the high net worth population, for them the kind of goods and services they expect are very often more expensive than the west.

On the plus side is the superb weather, the warm blue ocean, the sabai sabai pace of life, etc etc etc

Agreed on all counts.. If you downgrade your lifestyle, forgo many consumer items, etc etc things can be cheap. The more Thai style you go the cheaper it is. I bet if you lived in a tin shack with no possessions its cheap as hel_l, but I doubt many retirees want to go that far. Its all about balance, about finding the point where the compromises meet the prices your willing to pay. All I try to point out is if you want to live with less compromises its pretty easy to end up more expensive than the west, the TAT seems to want 'quality tourists' the elite card scam / scheme was pitched firmly at the high net worth population, for them the kind of goods and services they expect are very often more expensive than the west.

On the plus side is the superb weather, the warm blue ocean, the sabai sabai pace of life, etc etc etc

What you're saying all makes perfect sense, but i think you're making a problem where there isn't one. People who don't have loads of money, know they have to make some sacrifices and still end up with a better life than before. People with cash coming out of their ears, don't give a hoot if they are paying slightly more than they would somewhere else for things. They just make sure they have what they want regardless of cost. When there are people paying anything up to 2 million baht over the odds for an imported car, then they aren't making any compromises at all. So the only people who have a problem, are people who expect the exact same life style as back home and still expect to get it cheaper. People like that will always be disappointed, but then they were pretty stupid to expect it in the first place.

In Phuket I get to watch my two year old grow up, all day, every day. I'm there in the morning when he wakes up. I'm there at night when he goes to bed. How many people caught up in the western rat race can say that. I'd rather look back on my life and regret never having owned a Merc, than look back and regret not spending enough time with my family. Phuket gives you the opportunity to live a different kind of life, and for those people who can't make it work for them, stop moaning and move on.

What you're saying all makes perfect sense, but i think you're making a problem where there isn't one. People who don't have loads of money, know they have to make some sacrifices and still end up with a better life than before. People with cash coming out of their ears, don't give a hoot if they are paying slightly more than they would somewhere else for things. They just make sure they have what they want regardless of cost. When there are people paying anything up to 2 million baht over the odds for an imported car, then they aren't making any compromises at all. So the only people who have a problem, are people who expect the exact same life style as back home and still expect to get it cheaper.

I think your painting the 2 extremes as the commons.. I see it as a bell curve with far far more expats I know being 'well off' but not western millionaires, hel_l even a western millionaire doesnt go that far these days.

People like that will always be disappointed, but then they were pretty stupid to expect it in the first place.

why they see lots of people simply saying "thailand is cheap" online.. What those same people forget to say is Thailand is cheap IF you dont mind giving up many normal things.

In Phuket I get to watch my two year old grow up, all day, every day. I'm there in the morning when he wakes up. I'm there at night when he goes to bed. How many people caught up in the western rat race can say that. I'd rather look back on my life and regret never having owned a Merc, than look back and regret not spending enough time with my family.

Its great you feel that way.. And totally agree.. Tho what do you plan for your child's education and future advantages ?? The hard to quantify life skills of learning to trade and hustle in a western environment ?? The advantages that this would be for him in his later life.

What you're saying all makes perfect sense, but i think you're making a problem where there isn't one. People who don't have loads of money, know they have to make some sacrifices and still end up with a better life than before. People with cash coming out of their ears, don't give a hoot if they are paying slightly more than they would somewhere else for things. They just make sure they have what they want regardless of cost. When there are people paying anything up to 2 million baht over the odds for an imported car, then they aren't making any compromises at all. So the only people who have a problem, are people who expect the exact same life style as back home and still expect to get it cheaper.

I think your painting the 2 extremes as the commons.. I see it as a bell curve with far far more expats I know being 'well off' but not western millionaires, hel_l even a western millionaire doesnt go that far these days.

People like that will always be disappointed, but then they were pretty stupid to expect it in the first place.

why they see lots of people simply saying "thailand is cheap" online.. What those same people forget to say is Thailand is cheap IF you dont mind giving up many normal things.

In Phuket I get to watch my two year old grow up, all day, every day. I'm there in the morning when he wakes up. I'm there at night when he goes to bed. How many people caught up in the western rat race can say that. I'd rather look back on my life and regret never having owned a Merc, than look back and regret not spending enough time with my family.

Its great you feel that way.. And totally agree.. Tho what do you plan for your child's education and future advantages ?? The hard to quantify life skills of learning to trade and hustle in a western environment ?? The advantages that this would be for him in his later life.

2 more years before school payments. starting at 120 k a year for english program, add transportation and teacher attention thats 240k a year.

back home its free

the budget in LOS easily becomes equal to a western one