Electric Per Unit

I moved into a large place a little over a month ago...

Prior to moving in I was careful to check in advance if the electric and water were being inflated.. I was informed that the water was charged (35 baht a cube !!!!) but the house is right at the top of a hill and the builders of the villa development have had to build a pumping station at the bottom of the hill and maintain a HUGE storage tank solution under a communual car part area.. In short the water solution cost them a lot and I was forewarned..

However for the electric I was told that it was flat rate same as electric board rate.. My bills just came and I have used 1839 units (hardly any AC use) at 4 baht per unit.. They also charge VAT (which I was warned) but a 7 1/2 grand bill is a bit more than I was expecting..

Just so I am armed with the facts when I go and discuss this I thought Gov electric was 2 baht a unit ?? Can anyone confirm what the baht price per unit actually is ?? Also is it different per region (Phuket for me) also please look for the pre VAT price...

Private residence in Bangkok:

Current electric charge for 15 amp service meter using 2,200 units was 3.56 baht per unit including all charges.

Current water charge for 56 units was 11 baht per unit including all changes.

Private residence in Bangkok:

Current electric charge for 15 amp service meter using 2,200 units was 3.56 baht per unit including all charges.

Current water charge for 56 units was 11 baht per unit including all changes.

Similar prices in Chonburi.

Electricity 913 units, bill approx 3000 baht. (It was a cool month)

I think the price of electricity rises as you use more.

Make sure you get the direct bills, not an inflated figure from your landlord!!

The thing is my electric water and other utilities (pool service, pool chems, gardeners, maid, etc) are in one service charge bill provided by the service company, once a month..

Many of these are fixed costs which I haggled prior to moving in (gardeners, pool service, maid, etc).. The 3 vairiable are pool chems water and Electric.. I was told very clearly the electric was 'flat rate' (but I still dont get the government) bill..

I am 99% sure that standard rate in my old home was 2 baht.. I just want the exact price of a unit of electricity before I go and sort this out tomorrow..

The thing is my electric water and other utilities (pool service, pool chems, gardeners, maid, etc) are in one service charge bill provided by the service company, once a month..

Many of these are fixed costs which I haggled prior to moving in (gardeners, pool service, maid, etc).. The 3 vairiable are pool chems water and Electric.. I was told very clearly the electric was 'flat rate' (but I still dont get the government) bill..

I am 99% sure that standard rate in my old home was 2 baht.. I just want the exact price of a unit of electricity before I go and sort this out tomorrow..

There is no exact price as it changes every month due to FT and then the VAT on top of it. Also believe there is a multi price system with low usage at a very low rate and next step or two at higher rates. Four baht per unit sounds reasonable to me as I pointed out my bill for about the same usage as you was a total of 3.56 baht per unit (and it can and will do higher).

hmmm mine is 4 baht + 7% so 4.28 per unit..

Really was sure my old place was 2 baht or so.. Wish he house just got its own bill as I would be more comfortable..

All in all nearly 12k in only those 2 utilities when my last home was 15k per month to rent !!

hmmm mine is 4 baht + 7% so 4.28 per unit..

Really was sure my old place was 2 baht or so.. Wish he house just got its own bill as I would be more comfortable..

All in all nearly 12k in only those 2 utilities when my last home was 15k per month to rent !!

Welcome to the next level. :o

However for the electric I was told that it was flat rate same as electric board rate.. My bills just came and I have used 1839 units (hardly any AC use) at 4 baht per unit.. They also charge VAT (which I was warned) but a 7 1/2 grand bill is a bit more than I was expecting..

Ignoring the price, that is a fairly steep electricity bill for "hardly any AC use".

Old AC units and old fridges can eat up electricty.

We have 2 AC units and even on a bad month do not exceed 1500 units.

I agree its high and will be speaking to management soon to determine if the house 'standing' used much which would indicate pool pumps are power hungry...

Other than that its confusing.. I have 3 desktop computers running 24/7 but my old bills were 2 - 2.5k normally with the same draw (though if I was paying 2 baht a unit previously it all makes perfect sense).. Small AC usage is in relative terms perhaps master bedroom is probably >40sqm, the main living area is open plan space huge with high cielings etc.. I think lopburi summed it up with 'welcome to the next level' !!

Electricity cost formula:

First 150 units @ 1.8047 baht = 270.705

Next 250 units @ 2.7781 baht = 694.525

Next xxx units @ 2.9780 baht = ???.???

+ standing charge...................... 40.9 baht

+ FT (fuel tax?) =........... units*0.4328 baht

Everything charged at 7% VAT

e.g. 530 units: 1736.24 baht

hmmm... So I am not being charged 'flat rate' ?? Looks like approx 30% hike in cost.

Just saw the landlord who is here to direct some maintenance and it seems like pool and (previously unconsidered) 2 roof water storage heaters use around 800 - max 1000 units per month based on when the house has been empty.

I wonder if they have the roof tanks at flat out max heat (the water is HOT).. Wouldnt surprise me..

Edited by LivinLOS

It is nothing near 30% more than you would pay direct. As I said my bill total made it 3.56 per unit for just about the same usage as you. Using RDN you should pay for hi use at the rate of 2.978+.4328x1.07=3.6495 per unit. As the FT charge is not fixed so the 4 baht per unit prices seems logical as a bench mark.

Agree if you have a water heaters using electric rather than on demand it can get very expensive - as could electric cooking. Pool pump is probably on all the time so that is likely as much as an air conditioner that cycles.

Out here in the middle of nowhere water is 5 baht per unit and electricity approx 3 baht per unit.

A faulty air conditioner makes a big difference.Got one of mine fixed and with more usage the bills fell 500 baht a month.Top up that coolant. :o