What To Grow On My Patio In The Shade

Hi I have no idea about plants but we have an outdoor kitchen, underneath the house which is built high up. We also have some Giant geckos, the too-kay I think and got tired of seeing their droppings in the same place for ages..so i bought 2 planters so the droppings will land there.

however what can I plant? There is no direct sunlight (perhaps for less then an hour) but lots of fresh air.

I would LOVE to plant something edible, with my second choice being something colourful. And lastly just something green.

WOrst case scenario, bamboo?

THank you!

:)

My Thai girlfriend has a small space just outside the house where she planted herbs and some small bushes. It's between two houses, and with a wall about 8 to 10 foot high around it. It's does get some light, but not full light, for four or five hours a day. She has planted bushes with flowers that she uses for herbal teas. She also has some 4 or 5 foot high Lemon bushes and bushes with other Thai fruits that she picks and uses in the kitchen. The area is only about 5 feet wide, but about 20 feet long so the direct sun only gets in their a few hours a day. She has a liitle cement pond area in the middle which the birds love to use as a place to drink and wash themselves. There is a walking path around the small pond area. This is in Bangkok, not far from the old airport of Don Muang

As I said this is on the ground floor, but the idea could be adapted to a patio in a high rise. Just make sure the wieght of anyhting you plant isn't too great for the floor of the patio.

What you want is small bush like plants...with small fruits you can pick and dry. Herbs for teas like Camiole (sp?) with flowers that can be dried and used for tea. I'm not a farmer so I don't know exactly what you should pick...but you get the idea.

:D

• 1 month later...

google urban garden and also permacuture there is lots of information

:)

My Thai girlfriend has a small space just outside the house where she planted herbs and some small bushes. It's between two houses, and with a wall about 8 to 10 foot high around it. It's does get some light, but not full light, for four or five hours a day. She has planted bushes with flowers that she uses for herbal teas. She also has some 4 or 5 foot high Lemon bushes and bushes with other Thai fruits that she picks and uses in the kitchen. The area is only about 5 feet wide, but about 20 feet long so the direct sun only gets in their a few hours a day. She has a liitle cement pond area in the middle which the birds love to use as a place to drink and wash themselves. There is a walking path around the small pond area. This is in Bangkok, not far from the old airport of Don Muang

As I said this is on the ground floor, but the idea could be adapted to a patio in a high rise. Just make sure the wieght of anyhting you plant isn't too great for the floor of the patio.

What you want is small bush like plants...with small fruits you can pick and dry. Herbs for teas like Camiole (sp?) with flowers that can be dried and used for tea. I'm not a farmer so I don't know exactly what you should pick...but you get the idea.

:D