Khon Kaen Immigration Office - Newly Opened

Most of us who live in the area were quite happy with the news that Immigration would be opening a new service center in Khon Kaen. However, disturbing reports are quickly beginning to surface of which this is just one: Two of our university professors went to investigate information for a visa-B extension recently and were treated with the utmost of rudeness by a female officer with a foreign last name who works there.

During their visit, rudeness evolved to downright attempts at extortion when the officer noted that each university instructor made 30,000 baht/month each and suggested that 1,000 baht per person would be an appropriate expression of appreciation for her services (not connected to any sort of official fee--the foreigners were there only for fact-finding information). They said they would pay her only if a receipt was provided at which point the officer became verbally abusive, and then simply got up and walked out of the room. The university professors asked the lower-ranking staff what to do, and they merely shrugged their shoulders. The officer did not come back. So, they left.

I know, the first thought that the reader will have is "there must be something more to the story." However, I know the visitors well, and they have got to be the most mild-mannered people on our staff. As said previously, this is only one of several very disturbing instances I've been hearing about over the last few months since the office opened.

My purpose of this post is to ask, (and get it on record here) about any other problems others are experiencing at this office--and particularly with this immigration official? Forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by toptuan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not disputing your post in any way toptuan but that officer handled my non-B extension a couple of months ago and it was straight through plain sailing. She even allowed for the fact that my bank balance was recorded the previous day and not on the actual day of the extension. Dunno what's going on. :)

It does seem a bit weird (and I'm certainly not saying the story isn't true) but this officer even called my wife before the 1 month "under consideration" period was up to inform me that my extension had been approved and i could go and get my full year's stamp. Have to see what happens next year.

"As said previously, this is only one of several very disturbing instances I've been hearing about over the last few months since the office opened.

My purpose of this post is to ask, (and get it on record here) about any other problems others are experiencing at this office..."

Since you're asking for other problems to be listed for the record, what are the other things you've heard?

I've used them twice, and have not had any problems. All very straightforward and professional.

I believe the reports on the local KK forum are all positive.

"As said previously, this is only one of several very disturbing instances I've been hearing about over the last few months since the office opened.

My purpose of this post is to ask, (and get it on record here) about any other problems others are experiencing at this office..."

Since you're asking for other problems to be listed for the record, what are the other things you've heard?

I've used them twice, and have not had any problems. All very straightforward and professional.

Three reports, all concerning rudeness.

"Three reports, all concerning rudeness."

I don't know where you saw that. I wasn't referring to the TV forum. I'm looking at the local KK forum.

After revisiting the forum I stand by my earlier statement that reports on the KK imm office are positive.

I also notice that 3 of the 4 reports in this topic are positive.

I'm not doubting that you've been told what you have reported.

Hope they have better luck when they return to get their visas extended.

"Three reports, all concerning rudeness."

I don't know where you saw that. I wasn't referring to the TV forum. I'm looking at the local KK forum.

After revisiting the forum I stand by my earlier statement that reports on the KK imm office are positive.

I also notice that 3 of the 4 reports in this topic are positive.

I'm not doubting that you've been told what you have reported.

Hope they have better luck when they return to get their visas extended.

If you carefully read my comment, it said "hearing" not "reading." These were firsthand verbal reports made to me; not read on a forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've known the KKN Imm. boss since 2005, when she was the boss in Korat office.

Done my OA conversion to RETIREMENT without problem or extra cost, extension -

no problem ! ....with all documents required - on hand ....

NEVER had any problem, providing you have all the papers NEEDED !!

In the 9 yrs I've stayed here ONLY 2 (two) less pleasant encounters with Imm. and

that's 1 in Suan Phlu and 1 in Korat after this lady boss left for the North region.

She has since worked in the North & Nongkhai offices before being posted to KKN.

My wife was informed AHEAD of the office opening by telephone .. so that's SERVICE !!

NEGATIVE poster better DIG DEEPER to find out WHY it was an unpleasant encounter.

It's just so OUT OF the ORDINARY. If they have some documents lacking then that's

another story .... eh ? And don't show bad attitude & bad attire - she's a LADY BOSS.

I will be dropping a Christmas gift soon, so all of you who have had one or more

pleasant encounter/s with this office - you know what to do .... eh ?

Cheers & have a happy holiday season to y'all ........ kg.

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2009 and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010 - May God & Buddha bless y'all.

I suffered extreme rudeness from the woman that seemed to be in charge at the Nongkhai office (sat on far left ).

I haven't been to the new office at Khon Kaen, but if it is the same woman, then I can certainly believe the OP.

I did post about this nasty piece of work at the time, but can't remember where now.

Loong

I don't think that's the same woman. The woman who was in charge at NK had her own office. She wasn't normally sitting out in the 'bullpen'.

If I recall from my last visit there, I think you ran into the one just under the boss. I recall that some of the paperwork went to her and then into the boss lady's office. At least that's the route my paperwork took.

That's not to say, though, that the officer you are talking about hasn't also transferred to the KK office.

I have also just run foul of this "Lady" as well. She infact has just cost me aprox 15,000 Baht, fuel, hotels, and being caught in Laos for the weekend, due to the Sea Games. I had to go to Laos and get a Non imigrant Visa as she would not renew my marriage Visa. OK partially my fault as I changed my Bank account to a bank closer to where we live only a few days before but had copies of the old Bank Book and tried to explain that I had changed banks. NO brains and rude, would not look further than the last entry in the old book 500 Baht and not where I had transferred to the new account.

We arrived at about 11-00 am and got shortshifted out of there by about 3-30 pm. Not only is she arragant but also as slow as a wet week.

The other people that have written in for 90 day reporting do not go to her the other people in the office seem to do that.

I read on the internet that we could still use the office in Nongkhai until Feb, so I drove to Nongkhai stayed at a hotel and so was able to be first cab off the rank as it were. Unfortunately there was not a male in the office and only the plump lady plus a couple of other females, the plump one was evidently over the younger ones. She just stated, "you Khon Kaen you go Khon Kaen" I tried to explain that we were able to use that office until Feb 2010. She just grabbed a piece of paper with the Khon Kaen address on it and threw it at us. Other people have told me that this plump lady is a B#### but up until last Friday she has been OK with me. Her true colours came out Friday though.

I have been in Thailand for a long time but after this treatment I am seriously thinking about leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the time - information wanted on a "fact finding tour" can be found on printed A4 papers available in the offices.

Of course that is not going to be enough for some of the nitpickers & they will insist on taking with top brass to confirm & show their intellectual superiority.

Some Nome Nah.

I don't know of it's been mentioned before but apologies if it has.

If you do you 90 day report at Khon Kaen do not take a ticket number and wait. You'll be there forever as the officer deals with other peoples extensions. The 90 day window is next to where they do the extensions. Just go up and give the bloke sitting in that office your paperwork and he'll do it there and then. You might have to knock on the door to get his attention because he doesn't actually sit at a window but at a desk to the rear of the office.

I am thinking of moving due to the office here. I went there to ask about my trip to the US. And the woman tried to charge me 2000 BAHT for the info and said she was going to turn me over to the athorities. There was nothing wrong i just wanted to talk about my trip and what needed to be done. I left in a hurry.

The next time i went i wanted to buy a car here. She said it would be 1000 BAHT for the service. Come to find out. It is free and the paperwork does not have to issured at the immigration office. Only the police station.

I went back and insisted on talking to the manager there. After a few minutes she apeared and said there was no charge and that my visa was in order.

But the original lady had been talking to her and told her i was mad about things.

I am on a retirement visa here. Now i am afraid she is going to cause me problems when i go to renew.

In a word. It is a shame and a disservice to the retirement community here for this to go on.

I had just gotten a retirement visa from Chiang mai. My gf is from KK so i wanted to relocate due to her family here. I wanted a travel stamp for my trip to the US. I like to visit twice a year.

I went to the office and the woman looked at my visa and said i was over my stay here by two weeks. When i had more than 1 month on the visa before my 90 day report. She would not listen when i said i had a retirement visa here and came out of the office and asked where i lived so she could call the police. Then she said that for 2000 baht she could fix it. All i wanted is a travel stamp. I left in a hurry. I went to NogKai and not problems. Got my stamp and now back in LOS i decided i wanted to buy a truck. I was very aprehensive about going back to the office. But decided to go back and try. When i arrived the original lady saw me and gave me a go to hel_l look and when my gf talked to her. She said she could help me if i paid her 1000 baht. At that point i got mad and asked to speak to the person in charge. I told her about the problems. She looked at my passport and wrote the day i needed to come back for my 90 day report and said i did not meet any paperwork to buy a car from immigration.

So. I am one of the guys that have had a problem with the woman. She is a very bad person in my opion. She will not look at anything when she makes up her mind. It is a very disturbing experence for me and i do not like the hassle from someone that does not want to help.

This happened about two months ago. I will be going in for my 90 day report soon and god forbid i see the lady with a chip on her shoulder.

You know i have been here for several years now. And paid my beer money to the police and others.. But this is just plain extorsion in the most blatent way. And not just for 200 baht for the police. What bothers me is when i talked to the supervisor she was very helpful and gave me the proper answers. Now that i read this, i think she is probibly getting part of the money the other woman is extorting out of the farang and others. Surely she knows of the problem by now and probily likes the extra money. That is my take on the situation. The supervisor likes the extra cash but stays clear of any bad and obvious complains by the people the other woman is extorting money from.

I am sure there are many that just pay and run. But i am here to live and like it here. My options are very limited. Moving is my only sure way of fixing this problem for me. I hope it does not come to that.

I went to the office and the woman looked at my visa and said i was over my stay here by two weeks. When i had more than 1 month on the visa before my 90 day report.

Apologies gary but I'm slightly confused here. So you went to the office with (for the sake of argument) an extension that expires on the 1st of February and she said you were on overstay despite the stamp in your passport?

Not only did i have the stamp But the immigraation office in Chaing Mai stapled a seperate piece of paper in my passport stating when i needed to reprot for my next 90 day report. So,,, there was a stamp stating i had a retirement visa, With a date showing how long it was good for. In my case it expires Sep. 2010. And a paper from the Chiang mai office stating my next reprot date. Which was at the time one month away. It was very clear. I know you all think this is bull. But just wait, if she stays and is not force to leave this will be a very common post here.

I'm not disputing you in any way but how did the conversation go when the expiry date is evident in your passport? How did she explain that one away?

I've heard of immi offices not accepting "late" reporting of 90 days (as in up to 7 days late which is entirely acceptable under immi regs) but your story is a whole new kettle of fish. Disputing an extension stamp in a passport?

She would not look at the retirement stamp. I tried to tell her i was retired here and she only would look at the last entry permit I had from the airport. She assumed I was a tourist. When my gf tried to explain and show her the stamp. She got irate and came out and wanted to know where i lived so she could have the police get me. It is enough to warrent a move on my part. I think everyone thinks I am nuts, and there must be another explination. Just wait. This gal has a serious problem.

Most of the time - information wanted on a "fact finding tour" can be found on printed A4 papers available in the offices.

Of course that is not going to be enough for some of the nitpickers & they will insist on taking with top brass to confirm & show their intellectual superiority.

The problem is that you never can be sure that the "papers" are still valid. I friend gave me any moth ago a paper from Nong Khai, he told me "they changed the roles again! :) ", the paper was years old. :D

I know the lady in Nong Khai too. It looks like she hates Americans.

I hope for Khom Kaen that they not did send her there.