Baht 2 Pound

A very simple question , my Computer is playing up at the moment so I cant find out, or do not know where to look.

Does anybody know what the exchange rate is between Baht and Pound and does anyone think it is more likely to go up or down in the short term?

Kind reagards

TP

Monday, April 18, 2005

1 British Pound = 75.21835 Thai Baht 1 Thai Baht (THB) = 0.01329 British Pound (GBP)

Median price = 75.06644 / 75.21835 (bid/ask)

Estimated price based on daily US dollar rates.

You will get this inter bank rate with ........no i wont say it again.......well just this once...nation...e

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic (exchange rate thingy... :o )

jeez. my calculations of 70baht/1pound have been well off the mark then <sigh>

No worries Wolfie, although I am VERY HAPPY that you were wrong :D

all part of the fun of it....

and for today folks...

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

1 British Pound = 75.38956 Thai Baht

1 Thai Baht (THB) = 0.01326 British Pound (GBP)

as they say every little bit helps.... :o

It is a reasonable rate to work on,

and you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the bill in Pounds!!

It has been pretty stable.

Watch the US$, if that climbs then the pound will drop,

but with GWB in power we are safe for a while.

It also depends on the outcome of the UK election if Blair wins it will remain stable if Howard gets in confidance could be lost. Intrest rates will be going up again soon as inflation figures highest for 5 years yesterday - high interest rates comntinue to keep the pound strong. If Howard gets in you could see the UK housing market go boom and bust again, the house prices have already probably peaked if a sharp fall occurs negative equity for many then the interest rate will go down and the pound will lose value. Another risk is the Chinese floating and de linking from the Dollar. This will no doubt see most regional currencies rise in value.

Most polls this morning put Balir between 5 and 9 points adhead.

My problem with the election is that no matter who wins there is going to be the need for higher rates/taxes....I want conservatives to win, but I dont want smug Labour-ites to say "See they are making things worse" when in reality its all just measures needed after the Labour spending years no matter who gets in.

My problem with the election is that no matter who wins there is going to be the need for higher rates/taxes....I want conservatives to win, but I dont want smug Labour-ites to say "See they are making things worse" when in reality its all just measures needed after the Labour spending years no matter who gets in.

I have just run a quick check on the £/Bt. EXCHANGE rates and pulled up a couple on the exact same day in 1996 (9 years ago) to see (no judgement just to compare) the time and place a year ago before the dreaded Chairman Blair was installed as king of the west and ...supprise..supprise...

Looks like in 1996..... the rates in Bangers then was £=38 Bt.

Ok I know there was the "upset" but now as then we have a new election almost upon us whats the score :D wot do we find.....

2005...£1= Bt 75.5. :D:D

Dont know about anyone else but that suits me.

Also I remember paying almost £600 for a TG r/t flight 9-10 years even before that which now can be knocked out at @ £350.....(almost 20 years later.)

Whether we like it /him or not the word that appeals to me most at the Mo...and they are shouting a lot and maintaining it ......is..STABILITY

making your mind up time....recon I know...... :o

info...

Time period: 04/19/96 to 04/19/96.

Daily averages: 04/19/1996 38.39780

Average (1 days): 38.39780

High: 38.39780

Low: 38.39780

Time period: 04/19/05 to 04/19/05.

Daily averages: 04/19/2005 75.38960

Average (1 days): 75.38960

High: 75.38960

Low: 75.38960

Yep, I certainly remember the days of £1 = Baht 38.......

Just over an hour ago, The Sun newspaper (a mere 10 million readers) announced that it was backing Labour for a third term - and R. Murdoch Esq does NOT back losers. Not to mention the fact that Ladbrokes currently have Labour at 1/25 to win. So - the markets will be happy and the £ will sit easy.

Interest rates will almost certainly slide upwards a tad later in 2005 - strengthening the £. The US deficit is unlikely to move much in the next couple of years and a £1 = $2 rate is not inconceivable. As has been mentioned, a Chinese revaluation is more of a danger as far as the value of the Baht is concerned but (barring accidents) that's unlikely in the next couple of years.

Result - happy sterling holders :o.

For what it's worth, I'm basing my retirement plans on an assumption of £1 = Baht 65 and I think I'm being massively conservative (small "c").

Edited by Steve2UK

Just because the pound was weaker to the Baht then does not mean that Labour have had a midas touch effect and made us all better off....the Baht fell heavily when the economy tanked in 97..

http://www.bankintroductions.com/thailand.html

"The Asian financial crisis that struck with devestating economic consequence to Southeast Asia in July 1997 lasting into 1998 started in Thailand with the collapse of the national currency, the 'baht'. This currency crisis provoked the domino affect with many other nations in Southeast Asia following the baht's lead and experiencing massive currency devaluations themselves."

Over the past 5+ years the pound has been falling greatly versus Aus, NZD, Euro and Canadian....The only ones it has gone up against is the USD (who hasnt gone up vs them the past few years) and Asian currencies (see above). So rather its not the pound strength, but others weakness that has made you better off living in Thailand.

Be wary of basing your currency predictions off of interest rates also...interest rates try to curb inflation..inflation can cause weaker currencies. See Euro, very low interest rates, but has been gaining strength vs the pound who has higher rates. Same with swiss franc vs pound...extremly low franc rates yet has been gaining strength vs pound.

No worries Wolfie, although I am VERY HAPPY that you were wrong :D

all part of the fun of it....

and for today folks...

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

1 British Pound = 75.38956 Thai Baht

1 Thai Baht (THB) = 0.01326 British Pound (GBP)

as they say every little bit helps.... :o

Or even every little Baht helps!

I thought that the rate was running at about 73 to the GBP so this is good news. Just hope that the rate is as good when it's time to transfer funds for my visa renewal.

Incidently, anyone know how to avoid / minimise the ridiculous charges for doing transfers? I have a Barclays off-shore set up - which is supposed to make things cheap and easy. Not so! Because Thailand isn't on BACS yet I have to do a SWIFT transfer and it's a bit expensive. The fee charged by TMB at this end is minimal but at the Barclays end it's about 50 GBP.

the Baht fell heavily when the economy tanked in 97..

It hit 90 to the Pound in those zany days!!!

Yep..think I mentioned before (stop me if boring..but)that day we were all a sitting and a sipping Big Sings in the Korfee Chop at the H H in Soi 19 when one old boy with us nipped out and changed just over £6k.

Reco. he got 97 bt to the £...Total approx= a spit and fart short of 600,000.

That was around the middle of 98 and I believe he is still sitting on the beach somewhere down at Pati. making charity contributions to the local honeys. :o

Incidently, anyone know how to avoid / minimise the ridiculous charges for doing transfers? I have a Barclays off-shore set up - which is supposed to make things cheap and easy. Not so! Because Thailand isn't on BACS yet I have to do a SWIFT transfer and it's a bit expensive. The fee charged by TMB at this end is minimal but at the Barclays end it's about 50 GBP.

Would using a Nationwide/ATM set-up help? As has been mentioned numerous times before on here (just do a search on "Nationwide"), there's no transacton charge for ATM withdrawals in Thailand from a Nationwide account and the exchange rate seems to be competitive.

Nationwide flexaccount is good on ATM withdrawals.

I use it mostly on the Kasikorn bank machines where you as previously mentioned you have NO transaction/ fees /exchange rate charges plus dosh is at interbank rates which at the moment would be around 75 bts =£....and NO deductions.

The other thing I like is that you can check your balance in Bt.so if your have say £1k still in your bin after taking out whatever it will show up as 75,000 bt...

:o

I dont know at the mo what the with draw limit is (was 30k a time) but we are buying our bit of land in C.M on a monthly basis via the local bank and wifes nieces have had no problems on transfers/withdraws.

Because Thailand isn't on BACS yet I have to do a SWIFT transfer and it's a bit expensive.

If you are expecting Thailand/Thai Banks to be come BACS members, you are in for a long wait. BACS (Bankers Automated Clearing Services) only handle domestic payments in the UK, and can in no way be used for transfers to an account held in Thailand (or any other country outside the UK).

Sophon

Because Thailand isn't on BACS yet I have to do a SWIFT transfer and it's a bit expensive.

If you are expecting Thailand/Thai Banks to be come BACS members, you are in for a long wait. BACS (Bankers Automated Clearing Services) only handle domestic payments in the UK, and can in no way be used for transfers to an account held in Thailand (or any other country outside the UK).

Sophon

I don't believe that this is strictly correct. It is certainly possible to carry out BACS transfers between UK accounts and off-shore accounts (such accounts not being held in UK territory, e.g. Jersey) and I do this regularly. It is also possible for BACS payments to be made directly to an off-shore account from third party accounts. My off-shore account also allows transfers, in any currency, to a large number of countries, of which Thailand is not yet one but, I am assured, will eventually become so. This may not be actually called BACS but it amounts to the same thing and avoids the ridiculous SWIFT charges.

Incidently, anyone know how to avoid / minimise the ridiculous charges for doing transfers?  I have a Barclays off-shore set up - which is supposed to make things cheap and easy.  Not so!  Because Thailand isn't on BACS yet I have to do a SWIFT transfer and it's a bit expensive.  The fee charged by TMB at this end is minimal but at the Barclays end it's about 50 GBP.

Would using a Nationwide/ATM set-up help? As has been mentioned numerous times before on here (just do a search on "Nationwide"), there's no transacton charge for ATM withdrawals in Thailand from a Nationwide account and the exchange rate seems to be competitive.

I'm already well set up for ATM withdrawals - that isn't the problem. When extending my visa I have to show 800,000 Baht in a Thai account, which I have with TMB, and this money must be shown to originate from outside of Thailand . Hence, getting the cash from the hole in the wall (from UK or off-shore account) and then paying this into the Thai account will not work, so far as visa requirements are concerned. I know that 50GPB is not a lot as a percentage of 800,000 Baht - I just object to paying unneccessary charges to banks, after all, they have far more money than I do!

Sophon

I don't believe that this is strictly correct. It is certainly possible to carry out BACS transfers between UK accounts and off-shore accounts (such accounts not being held in UK territory, e.g. Jersey) and I do this regularly. It is also possible for BACS payments to be made directly to an off-shore account from third party accounts. My off-shore account also allows transfers, in any currency, to a large number of countries, of which Thailand is not yet one but, I am assured, will eventually become so. This may not be actually called BACS but it amounts to the same thing and avoids the ridiculous SWIFT charges.

Greetings doctormann

I might not have been precise enough in my answer. I know there are some non UK territories such as Jersey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar etc. that use the same payment systems as the UK. However, not being British I honestly don't have a clear idea of what's the difference is between these territories and the UK.

However, the fact is, that there is only one way for bank to make international transfers, and that's via the SWIFT network. Of course if a bank have branches in more than one country, they can make their own internal payments, but if the transfer is to a different bank, then it will be made via SWIFT.

The reason for the "ridiculous charges" isn't because they are sent via the SWIFT network. Sending a SWIFT message isn't really that expensive for the bank. The bank have high charges on international transfers in part simply because they are able to, and in part because to many banks international transfers requires (too much) manual handling. To put the charges into perspective; the bank I use charge the equivalent of 80 pence for a international transfer sent via the SWIFT network, as long as I key in the payment myself via Internet Banking, and as long as my bank doesn't have to handle the transfer manually in any way (just means that I have to provide the SWIFT address). So it really doesn't have to be that expensive :o

Sophon

Sophon

Greetings doctormann

I might not have been precise enough in my answer. I know there are some non UK territories such as Jersey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar etc. that use the same payment systems as the UK. However, not being British I honestly don't have a clear idea of what's the difference is between these territories and the UK.

However, the fact is, that there is only one way for bank to make international transfers, and that's via the SWIFT network. Of course if a bank have branches in more than one country, they can make their own internal payments, but if the transfer is to a different bank, then it will be made via SWIFT.

The reason for the "ridiculous charges" isn't because they are sent via the SWIFT network. Sending a SWIFT message isn't really that expensive for the bank. The bank have high charges on international transfers in part simply because they are able to, and in part because to many banks international transfers requires (too much) manual handling. To put the charges into perspective; the bank I use charge the equivalent of 80 pence for a international transfer sent via the SWIFT network, as long as I key in the payment myself via Internet Banking, and as long as my bank doesn't have to handle the transfer manually in any way (just means that I have to provide the SWIFT address). So it really doesn't have to be that expensive :o

Sophon

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to investigate this a bit further, I think. Maybe my bank isn't being totally honest with me or maybe it's just the way that their internet site is set up but I don't have the facility to enter SWIFT codes directly.

As I said, transferring funds to most countries is catered for, but not Thailand, so I'm not clear what's going on. If I could do a transfer for 80p I would be a happy man! Last time it cost 50GBP and needed a registered letter to the UK for them to release the funds. This was a 'security' issue as the funds were for house purchase - fair enough, I suppose, but very inconvenient. The charge would still have been 50GBP for a much smaller sum and would still have required a phone call to UK because Thailand is not on the list of countries to which I can do a direct transfer.

Maybe I should just change my bank!

DM :D