Moving Bike To Another Region

sinnus99

I'm moving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in 10 days.

I have a motorcycle registered in Bangkok, with BKK license plate and green book.

What is the procedure if I take my bike with me and want to register it in Chiang Mai?

Do I have to do anything in BKK?

Or just take the bike and green book to Chiang Mai land and transport office for inspection and to request a new license plate and green book? Will they issue me the same license plate number for Chiang Mai? How about my current insurance and road tax paid, which are paid until mid next year? Do I have to modify that for new plate number?

Thanks.

Bring your book and confirmation of new adress to Chiang Mai land transport office.

A week later when docs from BKK have arrived, they want to inspect your bike. New CM number is issued and new number added to frontpage of book. Tax and insurance should be ok. Forget the price, but a few hundred baht.

This is an option, not needed if you dont care about having BKK number

Thanks for the responses. I have just a Honda Wave. I plan to register it in Chiang Mai so I have no issues, when I want to sell it locally next year.

I would not bother changing the plates. It's an extra expense and hassle and with no tangible advantage, unless you value the hands on experience of dealing with the transport department. I have never changed plates when moving, and have sold two bikes in a province where the bikes were not registered to buyers living in totally different provinces, this was never any problem.

IMO changing plates to the area where you live is a waste of your time and money, which could be far better invested in, for example, drinking beer.

Thanks for the responses. I have just a Honda Wave. I plan to register it in Chiang Mai so I have no issues, when I want to sell it locally next year.

I would not bother changing the plates. It's an extra expense and hassle and with no tangible advantage, unless you value the hands on experience of dealing with the transport department. I have never changed plates when moving, and have sold two bikes in a province where the bikes were not registered to buyers living in totally different provinces, this was never any problem.

IMO changing plates to the area where you live is a waste of your time and money, which could be far better invested in, for example, drinking beer.

12 drink more, long time no post.

I agree, I wouldnt waste my time or money until its sold and if needed