Visa Agents

Great post, just what I need to show an acquaintance of mine who is about to go down the 'no visa -no pay' visa agent path. I offered to prepare his application for half the cost the agent was charging and he would only have to pay when the visa is stamped in the passport. His main worry was that if refused it would mean a lot of extra waiting time and a black mark against the applicant. Hopefully when I show him this post it will change his mind.

I personally donot understand why people other than those with no time use an agent. It is not rocket science it is simple fill in the blanks paper work. When I applied for my retirement visa the immigration officer told me everything I needed then gave me 5 days extention of stay in thailand to accomplish it. Also gave me her phone number so when I came back the next day with everything done I called her and skippped the lineup and went straight to her desk and had it done.

If I had to do over again I would go to immigration ask see an officer ask what was required I bring when I apply and then just follow instructions.

Agents are people even trained ones make mistakes so there are no quarantees. Like I said before I feel only people with no time to do it should get and agent. But also like the op said it is a personal choice and so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding AILA (The American Immigration Lawyers Association):

This is a voluntary Bar Association in the USA. In the US, only a licensed attorney is entitled to charge fees for assisting in US Immigration matters pursuant Federal Regulations. There is nothing analogous to "Registered Migration Agents" or "Registered Immigration Consultants" in the US. One is either a licensed US attorney in at least one state, territory, district, or possession or they are not; and if not then they should not be charging a fee for consultation regarding US Immigration. USCIS is quite clear on this and there are memos which categorically state that even telling a client which form that they should use constitutes "consultation," and therefore the unlicensed practice of US Immigration law. This is true even outside of the USA as USCIS will only interact with a licensed attorney or a representative licensed by the Board of Immigration Appeals (basically, representatives of non-profits such as Catholic Charities). The US Embassy in Bangkok, pursuant to regulations in the Foreign Affairs Manual, has made the decision not to allow anyone into the applicant's interview other than the applicant themself. That being said, licensed US attorneys are currently allowed to directly deal with matters such as 221g denials and correspondence.

To anyone looking for assistance with a US Immigration matter: no matter who you use, make certain that they are licensed to practice law in at least one state, possession, territory, or district of the USA. Proof of this can be shown by producing a license from at least one US State Supreme Court, Bar Association, or a US Federal Court License. A reputable attorney should willingly provide a copy of such documentation to a prospective clients. As to AILA membership, I have found it to be beneficial as a resource, but membership is not necessary to represent clients before USCIS.

I hope this was helpful.

All the Best,

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal

Edited by DirectorIntegrityLegal
  • Like 1

Regarding AILA (The American Immigration Lawyers Association):

This is a voluntary Bar Association in the USA. In the US, only a licensed attorney is entitled to charge fees for assisting in US Immigration matters pursuant Federal Regulations. There is nothing analogous to "Registered Migration Agents" or "Registered Immigration Consultants" in the US. One is either a licensed US attorney in at least one state, territory, district, or possession or they are not; and if not then they should not be charging a fee for consultation regarding US Immigration. USCIS is quite clear on this and there are memos which categorically state that even telling a client which form that they should use constitutes "consultation," and therefore the unlicensed practice of US Immigration law. This is true even outside of the USA as USCIS will only interact with a licensed attorney. The US Embassy in Bangkok, pursuant to regulations in the Foreign Affairs Manual, has made the decision not to allow anyone into the applicant's interview other than the applicant themself. That being said, licensed US attorneys are currently allowed to directly deal with matters such as 221g denials and correspondence.

To anyone looking for assistance with a US Immigration matter: no matter who you use, make certain that they are licensed to practice law in at least one state, possession, territory, or district of the USA. Proof of this can be shown by producing a license from at least one US State Supreme Court, Bar Association, or a US Federal Court License. A reputable attorney should willingly provide a copy of such documentation to a prospective clients. As to AILA membership, I have found it to be beneficial as a resource, but membership is not necessary to represent clients before USCIS.

I hope this was helpful.

All the Best,

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal

Great Post Ben, very informative. Thanks

Bridge

May i add some clients are demanding the visa be guaranteed when entering my office ?

We don't guarantee visa applications however we are losing business because of this and its a catch 22 scenario.

Thai clients expect all visa applications to come with a guarantee no visa no fee.

Edited by 7by7

Unfortunately the answers are 'Yes' and 'No.'

As I understand it, 'naming and shaming' could involve this website in lengthy and expensive court cases defending cases of defamation.

May I take this opportunity to remind members of the forum rules

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

Do we know any Two faced lieing Visa Agents, would it be to much to name and shame them ..
Unfortunately the answers are 'Yes' and 'No.'

As I understand it, 'naming and shaming' could involve this website in lengthy and expensive court cases defending cases of defamation.

7by7 you are incorrect. The correct answer to Thongkorns question is, as I previously answered, 'Yes' and 'Yes' - it would be too much to name them.

The so-called "guarantee" really rankles me when it comes to US Immigration as an outcome cannot be guaranteed and an ethical attorney is precluded from guaranteeing any outcome in an adjudication. In much the same way that an attorney in the USA cannot guarantee any particular outcome in a court proceeding an American attorney in Thailand cannot make a guarantee regarding the Consulate's decision.

In my personal opinion, when it comes to United States Immigration, construe any guarantee as an immediate red flag.

Happy New Year to All!

Ben Hart

US Immigration attorney

Integrity Legal

From my OP

Please do not use this topic to recommend, name and shame or otherwise comment on any individual agency.

Several posts have wandered into a discussion of an individual agent's services*, which is not what this topic is about.

I have therefore edited some posts and deleted others to remove this discussion.

If members wish to discuss the services of an individual agent, please start a new topic.

* I am aware that I have been as guilty of this as others!

• 4 months later...

I have been reminded that some unscrupulous agents claim membership of or registration with official sounding bodies which do not in fact exist. Remember, it is only those bodies listed in the opening post that are official.

I have also heard that some even claim to be registered with the official regulatory body in the country concerned when they are not. So, before instructing an agent to act on your behalf, always check that they are registered as claimed; an honest agent will have no problems with you doing so.

Just to add to this fantastic thread as it has such valuable information on immigration consultants, you can always ask the visa agent for their license number and call their local State Bar for verification. Through their local State Bar you can find out if this person has ever been disciplined, sanctioned, and even if they are indeed licensed in that state.

For instance, go to www.aila.org and find out if your US lawyer is a member as it's a free service and provides indispensable information on this very topic.

In fact, most of this information is already available online so you can save yourself a call. Finally, always get it in writing before you hand over the money.

Thanks, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

One agency in Bangkok was using my friends Migration number and advertising it, I often check to see if they use my OISC registration number.

I actually rang one here and he advised me they was Embassy approved and claimed to be an Immigration lawyer at the embassy, I informed him about the OISC etc and he put the phone down on me.

The only immigration lawyers working at the Embassies are those that work FOR the Embassy and they do not represent or talk to applicants, who are people that are applying for visas. I think sometimes the applicants are confused with this rhetoric that there's some sort of "special relationship" or "influence" immigration lawyers may have with the Embassies, when in reality no one has any special influence with them. It's just fraud and visa agents trying to scam applicants that are desperate to be united with their loved ones.

With regards,

Cathy Tran Reck

Not forgetting the 'agents' who hang around outside embassies and visa application centres; or even have an office in the same building.

These people try to give the impression, or even actually claim, to be official staff and then offer to 'check' the application. They will then find something 'wrong' which they will offer to 'fix' for a fee.

No one working at any VAC or embassy will do this; or if they do they are in serious breach of the rules and should be reported to the embassy immediately.

If in any doubt as to whether you are talking to a VAC employee (the ones at the UKVAC should be in uniform) ask to see their official identification.

Not forgetting the 'agents' who hang around outside embassies and visa application centres; or even have an office in the same building.

These people try to give the impression, or even actually claim, to be official staff and then offer to 'check' the application. They will then find something 'wrong' which they will offer to 'fix' for a fee.

No one working at any VAC or embassy will do this; or if they do they are in serious breach of the rules and should be reported to the embassy immediately.

If in any doubt as to whether you are talking to a VAC employee (the ones at the UKVAC should be in uniform) ask to see their official identification.

I used an agent, Thai Visa Express, and it's turned out to be excellent value for money. I'm not bad with paperwork myself but with so many grey areas and unknowns, I didn't want to take any chances in delaying a return to the UK and starting a ne life with my partner. In fact, my partner received her 2 year visa today and you should see the smile on her face.

Initially, I was very aprehensive about handing any money over to any agency, but after reseaching my options, I chose to use a someone I could at least communicate with. Thankfully, I made a great choice and Paul Aslett (the owner).

With offices in the UK and Thailand and along with their certified references it gave instant credibility. The great thing is, I've been able to focus on all other areas of my life without the hassle and worry about this critical visa application.

I'm adding this comment to say thanks for all your help Paul!!!!

• 2 months later...

I personally donot understand why people other than those with no time use an agent. It is not rocket science it is simple fill in the blanks paper work. When I applied for my retirement visa the immigration officer told me everything I needed then gave me 5 days extention of stay in thailand to accomplish it. Also gave me her phone number so when I came back the next day with everything done I called her and skippped the lineup and went straight to her desk and had it done.

If I had to do over again I would go to immigration ask see an officer ask what was required I bring when I apply and then just follow instructions.

Agents are people even trained ones make mistakes so there are no quarantees. Like I said before I feel only people with no time to do it should get and agent. But also like the op said it is a personal choice and so be it.

Great post. Thanks for your advising. :D

Great post. Thanks for your advising. :D

Save that this thread is about the use of agents to apply for various visa's to countries other than Thailand, not extensions of stay in Thailand.

That said I agree that the use of an agent should not be necessary for straight forward visa applications for Thai nationals.

• 3 weeks later...