Carry Copy Of Passport?

I also carry copy of wiffees ID (laminated ) card with the get out of jail message and telephone number on the back....but in 25 years never been pulled up.......maybe I just dont look sus ......... :)

Also agree about T-D/L ...internal domestic flight travel ID and also good for Hotel Check in Registration/Bank questions ..land office etc...and of course on occasions if you behave "nicely" Thai prices into various places....parks..etc..

Chai.

Carry photocopy of main page and current visa stamp in your wallet at all times.

The real passport is too cumbersome and also to valuable to thieves. As long as it's real, the photocopy will usually do okay providing you are dressed respectably and smile as if your photocopy of the passport that should officially be on your person at all times is as legitimate as you appear.

[...] Go to any copy shop and have them make one up. I know down on Suk Soi 4 a small wallet laminate goes for about 200 (but I am SURE that is the foreign price!!)

Where exactly on Sukhumvit 4? - and, well this might seem stupid but, what is the process to get a driving license?, i'm on an ED Visa. Cheers :)

I just spoke to some Lumpini Police officers, who were conveniently sitting outside my house. I showed them the small wallet size laminated copy of the front page of my passport and on the back is a copy of my "permitted to stay until stamp" (retirement extension stamp" which I carry around. They all said that would be FINE in 99% of situations unless it was for a "big problem" (obviously meaning; you ran seriously amok).

Go to any copy shop and have them make one up. I know down on Suk Soi 4 a small wallet laminate goes for about 200 (but I am SURE that is the foreign price!!)

Also, what do you all do if driving in another province from where you live?

To answer the above quote; unlike the US, (where driver's licenses are issued by the state you reside in) a thai driver's license is issued and good in the entire country. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you got it in Yala or Chiang Mai, it's a country wide license, not a provincial thing. :)

As an aside; the old style thai driver’s license used to have your address, but the new style Smart card does not. You may want to carry something (even a business card) which shows your address in thailand. :D

The new-style Smart driving license should have the address in Thai on the back.

I really recommend that you obtain a Thai driver's license. First, to give you just one example, several of us took our girlfriends to the zoo in Siricha (not the Tiger zoo but a much larger one). I got my girlfriend and myself in for just 150 baht whereas one of my friends, a Norwegian, had to pay 300 baht just for himself. In the past several months it was the same thing---at Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, at the Crocodile Farm and at Underwater World, I got the Thai price instead of having to pay the tourist price. Two years ago in Chiang Mai three or four times another Norwegian pal had to pay full price while my Thai girlfriend and I both got the Thai price. Twice going to Koh Samet when the police met us as soon as we got ashore I paid just 40 baht instead of the tourist price which is several hundred baht. When I'm stopped by the police for routine checks they smile at me and send me immediately on my way as soon as they see the Thai driver's license. When I was in Krabi and rented a motorbike at Ao Nang Beach and was asked for my passport I simply gave the place my Thai driver's license. Back to the police though, I think it's just basic human nature that they are going to be much more receptive to a person who can prove by his having a Thai driver's license that he respects the country's laws and is trying his best to go the extra mile. In worse case scenarios if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, say at a Disco going through a drug bust, one's going to be sent on his way faster if he can produce a driver's license than if he didn't have one to start with.

The posters are correct and the police do not have to accept a copy, however on the occasion I was asked the copy was sufficient. At least a copy is better than nothing and can be verified thro its details.

I also have a Thai licence and is acceptable as id (passport number is on your licence)

Sorry mate====have 2 licences.one for car and one for motorbike----neither have passport number on them-----just checked with mate and he's the same----dont know where your'e looking

BIB on soi bukaow stopped me once for no helmet. [No it had not been eaten off Bobbit-like]. I produced my copy passport and drivers license but was told 'must be original - go to station'. Looking at the board in P police station on beach road there is a penalty listing - 400 baht for each of no passport, no license, no helmet. Thought I would be stung for 1200 baht, but in the event only 400 baht and only the helmet offence box ticked.

So still not sure (BIB can probably use if they want to get you and have nothing else to go on) but I would rather pay some small fine once in a blue moon than carry original documents on me all the time.

Presumably you were not wearing a helmet because you have no brain to protect?

Laminated credit-card sized copy of passport + visa is a good idea. Most corner copy shops can do it for 20 baht (b&w, shrink & laminate) per double-sided card (you may need 2 separate cards: name page, visa/stamp/arrival card).

The name page is particularly useful, and not only in a police stop. Checking into a hotel, some bank transactions, buying airline tickets etc. can be done with the copy.

Police is unlikely to stop you randomly and ask for a passport. The situations I can think of are:

1. Being involved in a traffic accident (if you don't drive, probably not a concern, and if you do you should have a driver's license anyway).
  2. Being involved in, or reporting a crime at the station.
  3. Boarding a plane
  4. Random drug check of a nightlife venue (not so common these days).
  5. Checkpoints in border areas (if you're on a bus from Nong Khai/Udon, Mae Sot, Mae Sai etc.). Police usually doesn't care to even look through your passport (just flashing the cover is enough), but I imagine not having it would perk up their interest. If you're Asian might be more important, since they're looking for illegal immigrants from neighboring countries.

In cases above, the card copy of the passport/visa should generally be enough (though if an officer chooses to make your life difficult, they can do it on the flimsiest of excuses).

As others said, Thai driver's license is really useful as an official ID, and also functions as a discount card. Costs under 500 baht, and is rather painless to get (at least in BKK, the office is well organized).

The posters are correct and the police do not have to accept a copy, however on the occasion I was asked the copy was sufficient. At least a copy is better than nothing and can be verified thro its details.

I also have a Thai licence and is acceptable as id (passport number is on your licence)

Sorry mate====have 2 licences.one for car and one for motorbike----neither have passport number on them-----just checked with mate and he's the same----dont know where your'e looking

On the old drivers license it is on the front side, second to last line. Mine has my passport number plus 3 digits in front.

Carrying the actual passport is the law, except in the case of permanent residents who are supposed to carry around their alien book which is even more cumbersome, more liable to fall to pieces with wear, and is supposed to last you virtually for ever. The only occasion I remember hearing that foreigners had been arrested for not carrying their actual passports was in the crack down on closing times and drug use under Thaksin, as already mentioned above, when they wanted to cause as much trouble as they could to any one who dared go out at night. Traffic police in Bkk have never asked for my passport, only my drivers licence. Once I had my passport with me by chance when I was booked for a driving offence at Lumpini. I offered it to them out of interest but they didn't want it and said the drivers licence was enough for them to book me. Probably carrying copies of the passport including the valid visa and latest entry stamp is better than nothing. If you are arrested for something really serious, they will go to your residence themselves and pick up your passport and probably anything else of value they fancy.

Can you provide a copy of that "law" as I have never been able to find it printed anywhere and my understanding is that the requirement is photo ID and be able to produce a passport in a reasonable period for immigration police officials.

I also have a Thai car license and a Thai motorcycle license. Both have my passport number on them. It is the second line below your name. It is also at the bottom right after your birthdate. Also on the back of both right in the middle is my address in Thai. Maybe you have the old style licenses.

I also carry a laminated copy of my passport and work permit. Just go to any copy shop. Reduce 50% and you have it. They do it all the time. Cost me 40 baht for the both of them.

Tim

Edited by troehr

Where its states ID number.

The old ones did not have it, only the new plastic ones.

Same here, 2 licences; just under your name, Im assuming you have the plastic credit card type with pic. My passport number replaces the Thai id number (issued at Udon Thani) it is in fact written twice once just under your name and again at the bottom following your DOB.

Edited by Tafia

Not correct. Your address is on the reverse side of the new style licence.

I stand humbly corrected. :)

I never bothered to read what was written in thai on the back of my Thai D/L, but my address is there plain as can be. ..

Sorry about the wrong info. ..

Have they changed them recently ??, I have the credit card sized licence issued in 2549 and the address is on the front??.

regards

Freddie

Not correct. Your address is on the reverse side of the new style licence.

I stand humbly corrected. :)

I never bothered to read what was written in thai on the back of my Thai D/L, but my address is there plain as can be. ..

Sorry about the wrong info. ..

Have they changed them recently ??, I have the credit card sized licence issued in 2549 and the address is on the front??.

regards

Freddie

I got mine first week in December, so I guess so.....hence the phrase "new style"....

If you do decide to carry your passport on your person, I suggest that you carry it in waterproof wrapping for those times when you forget to remove it from your clothing before throwing your clothes into the washing machine.

Most airlines will not allow you to board the 'plane with a damaged passport.

As I said earlier, I always carry my Passport and other credentials with me because, when I started to travel in Asia, there WAS no safe place to leave them.... I have always carried them semi-waterproof in a succession of small messenger over-the-shoulder bags. As I was checking in vain for a good picture to insert here I came up with this from shoes.about.com

Messenger Bags -
Why They're So Hot & Top Sites for Messenger Bags
-- The messenger bag has become a trend of monumental proportions, but why? Find out more, including where to find some of the coolest messenger bags around... Messenger bags define "hip" by being nearly an anti-fashion statement. They look casual and trendy all at once -- and like a denim jacket or a concert t-shirt, they can actually become even cooler the older and more beat up they become.

So now it is a fashion statement.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
Several years ago, during the crackdown on closing times and drug war (sic!), police didn't accept any kind of passport copy...

If you were not able to show the original... and not being available to participate in an urine test: cost was between THB200 & 500, following the venue they did a random check :)

I would rather pay $15 than carry my passport in my back pocket. Losing your passport is a major major drama for any tourist. keep it in the safe

Keep the copies at home, in case you passport is stolen. :)

I only carry mine when travelling, more for hotels than the police.

In 20 years have never had the police ask to see it.

A Thai DL is generally accepted as ID

If you were not able to show the original... cost was between THB200 & 500

Beware you can be held until you produce the original......

If you are adept with computer and scanner make you own ID card.

ID age and stamp, back to back, reduced in to wallet size.

Print and have laminated at your local photo shop.

Good for day to day use.

• 2 weeks later...
I just spoke to some Lumpini Police officers, who were conveniently sitting outside my house. I showed them the small wallet size laminated copy of the front page of my passport and on the back is a copy of my "permitted to stay until stamp" (retirement extension stamp" which I carry around. They all said that would be FINE in 99% of situations unless it was for a "big problem" (obviously meaning; you ran seriously amok).

Go to any copy shop and have them make one up. I know down on Suk Soi 4 a small wallet laminate goes for about 200 (but I am SURE that is the foreign price!!)

Also, what do you all do if driving in another province from where you live?

To answer the above quote; unlike the US, (where driver's licenses are issued by the state you reside in) a thai driver's license is issued and good in the entire country. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you got it in Yala or Chiang Mai, it's a country wide license, not a provincial thing. :)

As an aside; the old style thai driver's license used to have your address, but the new style Smart card does not. You may want to carry something (even a business card) which shows your address in thailand. :D

i have the new type driving License i got in june 2009, it has all my details = my passport number & my Address on it. i think its best if you go & take the test & get a temp Driving License & that will be a ok to carry around with you, keep passport locked up & safe.