Abhisit Protected By Amulets

Changian

Following speculation that he was wearing light armour for self-protection under his shirt due to the political turmoil, Abhisit unbuttoned his shirt to show journalists 10 amulets around his neck.The public especially amulet enthusiasts wondered what was in the premiere's collection.Abhisit reportedly had been given several outstanding examples, so his collection could be worth an eight-digit figure.

However Democrat MP for Bangkok, Thana Cheeravinij, who frequently visits the Sunday Moradok Thai amulet club at Pantip Plaza's Mall Ngam Wongwan branch, said Abhisit was Western-schooled so he was not into Thai amulets.

This isn't from Not The Nation, it's from The Nation - very hard to tell sometimes. But somehow I doubt Abhisit will be baring his medallion collection for other world leaders to stare at in admiration. And I'm sure he's thinking to himself that wearing necklaces in order to win votes from the superstitious wasnt something he signed up for when he became PM.

First of all, they are not "medallions," they are amulets.

Secondly, to ridicule someone's beliefs, because it is different from their own and clearly you misunderstand much about the differences, is usually not well thought of.

Lastly, you are demeaning to both voters and the Prime Minister, in addition to aforementioned Buddhists in general.

Secondly, to ridicule someone's beliefs, because it is different from their own and clearly you misunderstand much about the differences, is usually not well thought of.

Lastly, you are demeaning to both voters and the Prime Minister, in addition to aforementioned Buddhists in general.

Please tell me what purpose they serve?

might be similar to the effects of crucifixes worn by Christians ?

Can't seem to open the link ? :D

But anyway, if true (and I bear in mind other posters' frequent-criticism of The Nation's reporting here), it would seem sad that even an overseas-educated Thai-PM panders to this stuff. Although he is only following the example set by previous incumbents, I laughed at them then, and would do so now too. You hope for a PM to set a better example. :)

Exactly. except for "taifa's" comment about demeaning voters. Abhisit was never voted into office.

Like another poster stated live and let live. Why do people carry pictures of their family in their wallet? Why do we tell our children that "if you work very hard, you can be whatever you want to be" and all of the other misleading bull <deleted>. Life is full of superstition and it is alive and well in the west as it is in the east. It just takes on a different form that's all.

Exactly. except for "taifa's" comment about demeaning voters. Abhisit was never voted into office.

Like another poster stated live and let live. Why do people carry pictures of their family in their wallet? Why do we tell our children that "if you work very hard, you can be whatever you want to be" and all of the other misleading bull <deleted>. Life is full of superstition and it is alive and well in the west as it is in the east. It just takes on a different form that's all.

" Abhisit was never voted into office. "

:):D :D

can you elaborate on this rather bold statement!?

Don't leave the reader's in the dark!

Sounds like he became Prime Minister by purely usurping his Position,

always thoughts his party formed a coalition with the Bumjaithai Party of Newin Group, Newin "never defected" from TRT....

tell the audience something new!

FYI:

He and his friends, mostly members of the National Assembly from the southern part of Isan or northeastern region, defected from the ruling (now dissolved) People Power Party (PPP) to the opposition Democrat Party during the 2008 Thai political crisis.[1] He is the leader of the "Friends of Newin Group", now as "Bhumjaithai Party". Consequently Democrat Party gained the majority in the National Assembly. Abhisit Vejjajiva, Democrat Party's leader, was voted to be the new prime minister of Thailand in December 2008.

Source:

....well, we all "know" the articles in the -wiki- can be written up by anyone - but corrected too!

Seems like some just don't like to accept certain facts and then try to bend them! :D

However, may it is this why Mr.Abhisit has been offered these Amulet's, some may think it's all about blacvk magic and superstition, they might be up for a surprise.

I remember there is "the man hiding in Dubai" who had blck magic rites performed to expel his "bad luck", many times.... it didn't really work, did it?

Edited by Samuian

Quote:

:):D:D

Don't leave the reader's in the dark

Please enlighten the rest of us. Who voted Abhisit in? he was appointed by a bunch of elitists after his puppet party through a tantrum from bloody October-December. at least this is my understanding, and no I am not alone nor do I believe everything i read. Did not mean for my statement to sound soooooo BOLD. :D

Edited by mizzi39

Quote:

:):D:D

Don't leave the reader's in the dark

Please enlighten the rest of us. Who voted Abhisit in? he was appointed by a bunch of elitists after his puppet party through a tantrum from bloody October-December. at least this is my understanding, and no I am not alone nor do I believe everything i read. Did not mean for my statement to sound soooooo BOLD. :D

The usual, slightly "commie" tinted defense!

But not an answer to the rumor you're trying to spread in the post I commented!

Very weak tactics, but what to do if lacking proper base, then resorting to bend the truth regarding to your masters voice!?

FYI:

The present Cabinet has been active since the 17 December 2008, when its members were officially sworn in by the King. The Cabinet is made up of five parties that form the current governing coalition: Democrat, Chart Thai Pattana, Bhumjaithai, For the Motherland and the Thai United National Development Parties and the Friends of Newin Group. The Cabinet comprises: 21 Ministers of State, 3 Deputy Prime Ministers and 11 Deputy Ministers.

... the very suspicion arises that you keep missing the essential points on purpose,

to keep your argument, which is seemingly in an ICU on LS for a long time to come..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_ThailandT alive :D

I'm still none the wiser what does caryying a cross do? is it simply a case of carrying something they think will protect them from something? Ie I carry an old dog turd on my head because I believe it will protect me from other dogs etc? or is it to remind them of "their dog/God" or is it all baloney.

Carrying photos of family is slightly different I wouldnt carry any to protect me, and only carry one as Im very far from my wife and visit only 2-3 times a year.

But somehow I doubt Abhisit will be baring his medallion collection for other world leaders to stare at in admiration.

Oh, I don't know. Berlusconi might be interested if he's got some of those huge wooden cocks the monks carry around.

But yes, it's shameless opportunism, isn't it. Much like the way most Western politicians can't say "Believe in God? What am I? Some kind of retard?" and instead all dutifully tramp off to church at the appointed times.

Edited by Gerontion

I have it on good authority that actually Khun Aphasit is the founding member of the B A Baracus Fan Club (Democratic Party Of Thailand Branch) hence his penchant for loads of amulets around his neck.

Further evidence of this is supported by his recent comments on Prime Minister Hun Sen of Cambodia of whom he said "I pity the fool" and on being invited to inspect the recently seized weapons carrying aircraft "I ain't going on no plane."

Quote:

The usual, slightly "commie" tinted defense!

But not an answer to the rumor you're trying to spread in the post I commented!

Very weak tactics, but what to do if lacking proper base, then resorting to bend the truth regarding to your masters voice!?

OK OK no sense getting into a pissing contest with you. Just giving the way I see it that's all. There are many people who see beyond the color of yellow that would tend to agree. No truth bending here.

No need to come off patronizing either, but reading your other posts I understand that this may be more of a personality trait, so truly I take no offense. :)

I'm no more "commie" than Fascist like the current govt. Thank you and have a nice day! :D

BTW: I have no problem with Abhisit wearing amulets. If it makes him feel good, that's fine by me.

Edited by mizzi39