Visa Type For U K Visit

OK, I've wasted several hours today on the websites of VFS Global, UK in Thailand (the British Embassy?) and the UK Border Agency (and 20 minutes searching TV). Either I'm thick (a possibility) or the information just isn't there ... or it's too well hidden.

This is the situation: I don't know which visa my partner should apply for. I'm in a UK Civil Partnership with a Thai national. My partner and I would like to visit the UK soon, and maybe two or three times over the next couple of years, for several reasons (visiting/meeting relatives who may die soon, sightseeing, ''Look, that's the house I was born in'', etc., etc.). We have no intention or desire to settle in the UK. We may not always be able to travel to the UK together (my work/holiday situation), but my partner will always have somewhere to stay. My partner has previously been granted a holiday visa for NZ. My partner is a ''homemaker'' (the NZ Embassy accepted ''housewife'', with no income/proof of income). We have sufficient funds to support ourselves while there (it's basically a few holidays). We will mainly be staying with friends/family (it's free ... that's why we'll have sufficient funds to support ourselves for a couple of months). I've been working in Thailand (with WP) for five/six years. We've been together for six+ years.

The two-year ''Spouse/civil partner of a settled person'' visa (33,930 baht!!!) that I thought my partner needed seems to be for what it says -- for those who are spouses/civil partners of settled UK nationals (which isn't me). Would a (six month?) holiday visa be easy to obtain for a Thai national with no property/job, but in a UK Civil Partnership? Or is there an alternative? Family visitor?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

You need a Vaf1 Form , go on the bangkok British Embassy site . look in the top left hand corner , you will see visa application types . The fee was about 4000baht for a holiday (general) visa , You can apply for six months as that is the minimum. also you can only have six months in one year.You will have to show reason to return to Thailand , It does not matter that you have had a visa for NZ but it will show that your partner will return as she has already done so. Each visa will only be judged on its Merritt .

Yes, a 2 years ''Spouse/civil partner of a settled person'' visa would not be appropriate as it is your intention to visit, not live in the UK.

You say that you are in a UK civil partnership, is this correct? If so, then he has presumably visited the UK with you before so that you could register that partnership. A previous UK visit, assuming he complied with the conditions of his visa, can only be beneficial to any subsequent application.

If you are in a civil partnership then he can apply for a family visit using Form VAF1B. There is not much difference between this and a general visitor, other than refusal of a family visit can be appealed.

It is possible to apply for a long term visit visa (up to 10 years) but this would still only allow him a maximum in the UK of 6 months on any one visit and a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 on serial visits. However, it is unlikely that he would be granted one unless he had already built up a history of regular trips to the UK; so I'd go for a standard 6 month one this time.

See:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (family visit) – Check List

For where and how to apply, fees etc., see Official UK visa application website in Thailand

Yes, a 2 years ''Spouse/civil partner of a settled person'' visa would not be appropriate as it is your intention to visit, not live in the UK.

You say that you are in a UK civil partnership, is this correct? If so, then he has presumably visited the UK with you before so that you could register that partnership. A previous UK visit, assuming he complied with the conditions of his visa, can only be beneficial to any subsequent application.

If you are in a civil partnership then he can apply for a family visit using Form VAF1B. There is not much difference between this and a general visitor, other than refusal of a family visit can be appealed.

It is possible to apply for a long term visit visa (up to 10 years) but this would still only allow him a maximum in the UK of 6 months on any one visit and a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 on serial visits. However, it is unlikely that he would be granted one unless he had already built up a history of regular trips to the UK; so I'd go for a standard 6 month one this time.

See:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (family visit) – Check List

For where and how to apply, fees etc., see Official UK visa application website in Thailand

Thanks. UK Civil Partnerships can be registered at any British Embassy that offers the service. In Asia that means Japan or Vietnam, so my partner has not visited the UK before. I'll have a look into the family visit visa.

Thongkorn: Thanks, I thought the NZ visa would help my partner (I don't need a visa).

Emphasize that you have a job in Thailand and are non-resident in the UK and therefore can not stay there for more than three months in a tax year... this, along with the woman's previous return from NZ without causing any problems will help a great deal.

Thanks. I was hoping that would help.

PS Theoldgit: If you go to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Civil-Partne...ps-t171025.html there's a link to a post that explains everything you need to know about UK Civil Partnerships for those in Thailand/Asia.