Worst Room You Ever Stayed In.

sokal

dam_n, you must really be a down and out farang to stay at a dump like that! :)

yea, it wasn't like it appeared in the tourist brochure mate.

in Thailand, I can remember in 1992 staying in Charl'''s Huts in Chaweng. A hut was putting it kindly but at only 100 baht a night, it wasn't worth it. :D

CHarlie Huts! The last bungalow resort on Chaweng Central. They were tearing that place down in May 2006. Gone by July, I understand.

I was not bad for 300.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I married I was on the razz in Khon Kaen and feeling the worse for wear decided even waving a tuktuk down to take me home was beyond me so I checked in at the nearest 100 baht fleapit I could find. I can't sleep clothed so I staggeringly stripped down to my underwear and lay down on the mattress. A while later I awoke to feel a sensation on my scrotum. I glanced down to see a cockroach crawling over one of my exposed <deleted>. Screaming I swatted it which resulted in a combination of intense pain as I swiped my balls a good 'un and a squashed, smeared roach all over the said same balls.

The icing on the cake was me dashing to the Thai style toilet in the corner to find the previous occupant had left their shit still in the bowl.

Ideal for honeymooners and people with young children.

Before I married I was on the razz in Khon Kaen and feeling the worse for wear decided even waving a tuktuk down to take me home was beyond me so I checked in at the nearest 100 baht fleapit I could find. I can't sleep clothed so I staggeringly stripped down to my underwear and lay down on the mattress. A while later I awoke to feel a sensation on my scrotum. I glanced down to see a cockroach crawling over one of my exposed <deleted>. Screaming I swatted it which resulted in a combination of intense pain as I swiped my balls a good 'un and a squashed, smeared roach all over the said same balls.

The icing on the cake was me dashing to the Thai style toilet in the corner to find the previous occupant had left their shit still in the bowl.

Ideal for honeymooners and people with young children.

After that story MCA, I suggest you use a pen name when introducing yourself to the ladies. Otherwise you may become known as

"The Man with Gotten Gun".

The worst. Mumbai (Bombay) salvation army youth hostel. A filthy dorm, bunk beds without bedding or mattresses. Terrible.

In Thailand some of the beach huts on Ko Phangnan ten years back were quite grim, especially when there is no power, no fan, no lights. When it rains spiders and toads take shelter inside.

Haha,i was there some 25 years ago!

The worst was in Hardwar,on the Gange river,i woke abruptly in the middle of the night cause something was biting my ear.

It was a mouse,there were 3 or 4 of them running on the bed.

Could not close my eyes afterwards :)

Back in student days 1993 - stopped off in Dakha, Bangladesh as our connecting flight had already left. The delightful Biman Airwyas rep informed us that we would be put up in a hotel for the next 30 hours -how nice. Well, I have to say the room was shit, walls covered in dirt, squashed insects and some rather dubious staff hanging around. The bed came with complimentary bed bugs, and the shower didn't work properly. On the way back, we had a 14 hour lay over, and they transported us back to the same hotel, at which point we refused to accept the room and instead slept in the restaurant. Suffice to say, thgat was my one and only experience of flying with Biman - I don't even want to think about the actual flight experience. :)

I was once working in Brighton and found a B&B that claimed to be designer boutique it was off season so only 25 a night. It had a very nice designer bed but the rest of the place was a complete dump with the room falling apart, the shower 4 inches from the bed and a toilet you could just about squeeze into.

Another time backpacking around the Philippines ended up in a place called port Barton on one of the islands. The place was recommended in rough guide, it turned out to be a wooden shack on the beach. Shower was just a drip, very thin mattress but the worst part was they warned me that they only had electricity between 8-10. Got back at 10:30 to realise I hadn't put the mosquito net up; after 40 minutes of trying to do it with my mobile phone as a light source, I gave up and went to sleep. Woke up covered in mosquito bites, scratching hel_l for a week after.

Back in student days 1993 - stopped off in Dakha, Bangladesh as our connecting flight had already left. The delightful Biman Airwyas rep informed us that we would be put up in a hotel for the next 30 hours -how nice. Well, I have to say the room was shit, walls covered in dirt, squashed insects and some rather dubious staff hanging around. The bed came with complimentary bed bugs, and the shower didn't work properly. On the way back, we had a 14 hour lay over, and they transported us back to the same hotel, at which point we refused to accept the room and instead slept in the restaurant. Suffice to say, thgat was my one and only experience of flying with Biman - I don't even want to think about the actual flight experience. :)

I've heard of a loose chicken running up the isle in a Biman flight about the same circa.

The worst was one with bed bugs.My whole upper back was full of itchy bumps. you cannot beat it.

Without a doubt the same story. Was in Singapore guest house in 1990. Never want to experience a night like this again! :)

I think I stayed there one as well, it's in Gelang, down a dark alley, metal shack. Rest was a blur.

In Pattaya a few years ago, I had a glitch with my ATM card that I knew from past experience would take 3 days to resolve: I had B1000 to live on in the meantime. I found a B160 room on Sop Chaiyaphoum that closely resembled the one pictured by the OP, except filthier. I soon realized it was primarily a short time joint used by the customers of several nearby gay and TV bars; not a restful night.

Next day I "upgraded" to a B200 room on Soi Buakhow; felt 5 star to me in comparison.

Another time backpacking around the Philippines ended up in a place called port Barton on one of the islands. The place was recommended in rough guide, it turned out to be a wooden shack on the beach. Shower was just a drip, very thin mattress but the worst part was they warned me that they only had electricity between 8-10. Got back at 10:30 to realise I hadn't put the mosquito net up; after 40 minutes of trying to do it with my mobile phone as a light source, I gave up and went to sleep. Woke up covered in mosquito bites, scratching hel_l for a week after.

Had a tiny 20 Baht shake right in front of the stunning beach/sea at Lamai 1985. No electricity, but candles, old mattress, mosquitoes net and a hammock over the small veranda. Shower at the draw well. It was paradise.

Contrary to that there was/is a dark, windowless, fuggy room at one of the low budget hotels in the Malaysia Hotel area were everyone got sick and so had to stay there longer when it was planned.

In Pattaya a few years ago, I had a glitch with my ATM card that I knew from past experience would take 3 days to resolve: I had B1000 to live on in the meantime. I found a B160 room on Sop Chaiyaphoum that closely resembled the one pictured by the OP, except filthier. I soon realized it was primarily a short time joint used by the customers of several nearby gay and TV bars; not a restful night.

Next day I "upgraded" to a B200 room on Soi Buakhow; felt 5 star to me in comparison.

Dude, I know that room and it so looks like that place on Soi Chaiyaphoum. I thought it was it... As of last year, the place still looks the same... grubby, grubby, grubby!

TheWalkingMan

You wanna experience it for fun? mine was in a 400 + baht hotel in bangkok. Scary but fun, considering bed bugs do not transmit diseases.

There was literally i think more than 100 bumps on my upper back.

I have stayed in cheap hotels all over the world and not once bitten by a bed bug. How common are the bed bugs? I think I may do a poll. What do you think?

Hmmm...A US$3 teensy A-frame bungalow at Mexico-Guat border, no plumbing, one 60-watt bulb, pallet on floor.
On the Mexican or Guatemalan side?  My worst ever was a tiny bungalow on the Guatemalan side of the border.
About 10 to 30 meters on the Mexican side.We swam to Guat in our undies and walked back.

Hmmm...A US$3 teensy A-frame bungalow at Mexico-Guat border, no plumbing, one 60-watt bulb, pallet on floor.
On the Mexican or Guatemalan side? My worst ever was a tiny bungalow on the Guatemalan side of the border.
About 10 to 30 meters on the Mexican side.We swam to Guat in our undies and walked back.

we (with my ex who was then my bride to be) stayed in a backpacker flop in Chichicastenango that was basic; camp beds with a mattress and blanket and a squat toilet with a splash bath in the courtyard...not too many critters as you get less in the highlands...

the place was redeemed as we had a view from our window (no glass, just shutters) of the plaza below and there was a religious event goin' on with bonfires, incense and drums all night...quite magical...

the worst places I've ever stayed in were in England; for GBP100 you get what you pay less than 500 baht for in Thailand and not always clean or with functioning plumbing...and the staff make you feel like it's a privilege to stay at their dump...one time on the seafront in Brighton the dumbshit receptionist gave me the key to a room that was still occupied; no apologies, of course...

I have stayed in cheap hotels all over the world and not once bitten by a bed bug. How common are the bed bugs? I think I may do a poll. What do you think?

I read an article recently about how bedbugs are becoming even more of a problem around the world, even in the USA, where the government has recognized them as a serious growing problem. Can't remember the magazine. I've never had a problem with them either,

but have been bitten on the nuts by large cockroachers twice. It's a heck of a way to wake up from deep sleep in a split second.

Aw, thats brutal, short time rooms for the gay bars. Your the winner in the gross category. The rooms that I have stayed in are usually clean. I find that poor Thais generally try to do the best with what they have. Rooms that have rates and bugs would take the fun out of it.

Dorm room in Kolkata. No door, just a manky dark green curtain led into a dark, high ceilinged room with rough concrete walls. Flys buzzed around the single lightbulb which flickered as it hung from the roof on a metre long wire. Only source of natural light was a small, cracked plastic window high up on one of the walls. The room was underground so the window was at floor level outside, all you could see from the window was an impoverished child begging. Inside the room eight tiny, rickety metal beds were home to mattresses not much thicker than a piece of paper, all torn and stained, dark brown in colour with the remnants of a flowery pattern just about visible. Another curtain led into a small concrete room with no light or window, just a squat toilet and a bucket of water for a shower. Mosquitoes abound in the bathroom. I laid in bed on my first night and a metalic feeling liquid kept dripping onto my bed from the roof.

The Hotel California. I checked out 5 years ago, but they won't let me leave. Help.

The Hotel California in Darkest Deira used to have a great Philippino band. And before that, a lovely Iranian night club singer that I spent an afternoon (early evening, I suppose) drinking with once. The Iranian night club was a bit scarey, but its gone now.

But its true - you can never leave. I have to get a taxi to and from, although I suppose it would be walkable if yuou knew how...

I never stayed the night, though...

SC

There are no worst rooms; some are just better than others. They all have a story to tell and that makes them worthwhile. Bivouacing in the open in a snow storm makes you appreciate any type of cover.

hanging from slings from the bottom of the last pitch to the summit of Mt Waddington, I suppose? :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Aw, thats brutal, short time rooms for the gay bars. Your the winner in the gross category. The rooms that I have stayed in are usually clean. I find that poor Thais generally try to do the best with what they have. Rooms that have rates and bugs would take the fun out of it.

Sop Chaiyaphoum (sic) isn't a gay area. Were you implying gay short time hotels are more gross than hetero short time hotels, or am I just being too sensitive?

Edited by Jingthing

I can beat you all.

I stayed at the only hotel recommended by the Rough Guide's South East Asia guide for Udon Thani, and I am going to hazard a guess the author never stayed at it.

I was the only guest. It took 3 viewings before I found a room with either a mosquito net or a window. But I should have been concentrating on the fundamentals. The sink had no plumbing anywhere. You switched the tap on and the water simply poured onto the carpet floor.

Yet the hotel owner is a genial old man. He told me that every year he goes to watch Manchester United play at Old Trafford. How can this be? The hotel has but one guest for 150 baht.

I got my answer at midnight when I arrived back at the hotel to find a line of Thai men waiting for 6 Laotian girls in the downstairs rooms-- while I sat in the porche area watching the telly, with the line of Thais snaking around me, the Laotians kindly offered me a pop at 300 baht. I declined. The police drove by and did nothing. The next morning I came downstairs to find the police chatting with the girls and the owner over a nice cup of coffee.

A great experience. Multi-culturalism, returning back to nature, interacting with the State, watching the locals at play. And only 150 baht a night.

Excluding some loverly outdoor evenings in the military, twas on the southern side of Lake Nicaragua. It was getting dark and we came across an hotel. They were full but the owner offered us his kitchen pantry as he thought it'd be dangerous for us to continue at night. I could sleep about anywhere but the Swedish girl I was traveling with keep me from sleeping with her little screams and comments about rats and insects. Kitchen opened at 5:30. The breakfast was tasty but their blanket covered floor was dang uncomfortable

Hotel room in Phetburi. I wanted to stay overnight just to take a little time touring the city, and at the time, it was the "best" hotel there (at least according to Lonely Planet).

So I checked in, went up the room...bad. And it was clear that the hotel was really nothing more than a brothel. I'm not talking about the typical Thai hotel massage thing. I'm talking brothel. I went out on my walk and I kept thinking, "I don't think I can lay my head down on that pillow tonight." I happened to walk by the train station and noted there was one late afternoon train that I could take to Hua Hin, where I knew I could find better lodging. I hurried up my walk around the city and check out of the hotel. They actually said to me, "We didn't really think you would stay here." :)

i've read all the posts and that made me laugh the most

My worst room i stayed in was actually at my friends house when i was a kid. He was trailer trash for years but they upgraded to a house after he set the trailer on fire (not joking)  the bed was made out of discarded milk crates, with a few old couch cushions that were tore to shreds, they stunk like salty balls as well as stinky cheetos. The blanket was nothing more than my t shirt.... the room also smelt of cheeto's, badly...but nobody ever ate those things, it took me some investigating after the fact but it turns out my friend had foot and hand fungus and that was ALL over the room (causing the cheetos smell)

there was dirty gotch strewn across the floor (his fathers) as well as discarded pizza / liqor bottles all over the place, looked like the kids took a baseball bet to every wall, trash everywhere. The toilette has 10 layers of rust and a Mr hanky that could never and i mean never be flushed properly. Diapers discarded neatly in the closet, no garbage bag of course :D

I remember it all like it was yesterday, we had nothing better to do than practice some wrestling moves, pretending the old busted tv was "the top rope" and we'd jump off of it onto other kids who had nothing better to do either and didnt mind hanging out in that crap hole

I also remember waking up the next day and his mom had "lunch" ready for all the kids... it was a leftover pizza the adults had ordered the night before and they didnt cut us in on it, with about 3 slices left (and like 8 kids) and there was a cigarette butt in the only half slice left , perfect :D I dont think i've ever even risked spending the night there again, i always had a backup plan

it didnt cost me anything but my dignity, and the clothes i ended up having to throw out because the cheeto stink was too intense

Sop Chaiyaphoum (sic) isn't a gay area. Were you implying gay short time hotels are more gross than hetero short time hotels, or am I just being too sensitive?

I think your being to sensitive. Lets say its more awkward for a heterosexual man to be in gay short time rooms then it is to be in strait short time rooms.