Mict.go.th

paperwerks

Im not gonna speculate on what I think is wrong but this is what I can and cant open:

FB -No

CNN - Yes

Yahoo - No

Flikr - No

I am on Maxnet.

I'd also like to add that for the last 3-5 days Ive had problems opening a variety of sites , getting dns error messages. problems sending emails and also couldnt login to msn chat for a few hours the other day. I have changed my dns name servers from Maxnet's to open dns and that hasnt changed anything.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with Maxnet TTT in Chiang Mai although TTT seems to be having some of the same issues they were having a couple months ago. Trouble uploading, incredibly slow international speeds (more so than usual).

Edited by mnbcm

All the reported sites workes fine for me, BUT

www.e24.no (business news in norwegian) is redirected to mict.go.th :)

Obviously, the Thai government is censoring the most crucial source of real information for the Thai public, the Norwegian language business press. The timeout couldn't possible be anything else.

Your image doesn't show anything being blocked. It just shows a partially loaded Yahoo.

Site content IS blocked, otherwise it would load completely.

While the page is loading, I can see redirects being made to w3.mict.

Since I have mict blocked (using HOSTS file), I don't get redirected to the actual mict webpage.

Your image doesn't show anything being blocked. It just shows a partially loaded Yahoo.

Since I have mict blocked (using HOSTS file), I don't get redirected to the actual mict webpage.

If the government was trying to block Yahoo, you would not get a partially loaded Yahoo. You would get nothing at all.

If the government was trying to block Yahoo, you would not get a partially loaded Yahoo. You would get nothing at all.

I agree.

Removing w3.mict from the HOSTS file, it takes (Yahoo) forever to load -- stuck at "Connecting to w3.mict.go.th..."

I don't know <deleted> is going on, but I hope it gets fixed soon. I'm an avid YouTube user, not being able to access the site is a big deal to me.

True... IF the Thai Government is trying to block Yahoo, they will be 100% successful. However, I do believe that some parts of Yahoo are being blocked for some reason or another. In some cases, a main domain works for me, but sub-domains do not. For example (as I mentioned in another post), www.travian.com works, but s9.travian.com does not.

When I try to load www.yahoo.com, the actual content is coming from several other sub-domains and even other yahoo-owned domains. Some of these are getting redirected to the MICT website. In the end, I am getting the same results as Supernova. Some parts of Yahoo are being blocked for me somewhere, somehow. That is a fact.

I am not saying that the Thai Government is TRYING to block Yahoo. It's just that someone (ISPs?) or something is screwed up and some websites are being blocked and some are not. I hope we find out if it is intentional or not soon. Based on the reports here, I'd guess not. Otherwise, they are doing a poor job since everyone is getting different results.

P.S. I am on CAT in Phuket.

Edited by yatyisam

"If the government was trying to block Yahoo, you would not get a partially loaded Yahoo. You would get nothing at all."

They're not technically "blocking" Yahoo, they're diverting access through a MICT server in Bangkok that is severely overloaded and not able to process the barrage of input it's receiving,

Some requests get through and are processed by the sausage grinder at a VERY slow pace - sending back only partial data -- other requests are waiting in the queue to be processed -- causing "time-outs", interminable browser grinding, etc.

They will eventually need to stop the silliness or users will need to take matters into their own hands -- Either way, if the problem persists, Siam will become the laughing-stock of the Internet world.

Face book OK, just checked it, however Immigration bureau blocked and reported as an attack site.

Several weeks back could not get on Toyota's (Thailand) website, that too reported as an attack site!!.

This is with TOT - 250km's North of BKK - small town.

Face book OK, just checked it, however Immigration bureau blocked and reported as an attack site.

Several weeks back could not get on Toyota's (Thailand) website, that too reported as an attack site!!.

This is with TOT - 250km's North of BKK - small town.

Hahaha, even google lists immigration as a bad website:

Out of those of you who are experiencing problems, what DNS servers are you using? Are you using the ones automatically assigned, or are you using something like OpenDNS etc?

This problem wasn't caused by a dns, but by a misconfigured transparent proxy.

I'm using my own dns server, which retrieves all information direct from the root name servers around the world, and had the same issues as everyone else.

CAT still controls the majority of international bandwidth as an International Internet Gateway (IIG).

This could have all been from a Cyber Attack (North Korean response to weapons seizure for example).

Has anyone (individual or news media) called the ISP's and specifically asked them what's up?

This seems like an outage of some kind rather than a MICT sponsored ban. Their site may have been hacked as part of the potential cyber attack.

Remember, cyber attacks are supposed to have this kind of non-conclusive mayhem with little-or-no-sense-to-it-all symptoms.

If you encounter something now, at this hour or past this hour, do this:

Timestamp: (list the time)

Provider: (list your ISP and type of connection used)

Whatsmyip.com (visit in browser)

Ping (name of site you can't hit) edition.cnn.com

Traceroute or "tracert" in windows (name of site you can't hit) tracert edition.cnn.com

nslookup [known as 'dig' in linux](name of site you can't hit) nslookup edition.cnn.com

Browsers Affected: (list your browsers)

Then reboot and see if all is same or different: (yes/no)

As for virus activity, this could also have been a worm. Since software, hardware firewalls, wireless routers, switches and hubs are too many to troubleshoot, everyone should be trying the same sites, we should vet a list of them, keeping in mind not to visit illegal sites.

So far there is no major news outlet reporting anything amiss. This could have been a router problem at CAT where old routing tables got uploaded to core routers, like say, an OC32 or OC128 someplace. If there is another major news outlet reporting this outside of Thailand please post it.

This is all to do with port 80 HTTP, and blocked "American" sites. That in itself doesn't make sense, and I'll be having my girlfriend watching the nightly news to translate anything she catches on it.

Anyhow, back to it, whatever that means.