Ba Staff 12 Day Strike Over Xmass - Million Stranded

londonthai

from 22.12 to 2.01 BA cabin crue voted for the strike.

"Customers who are booked to travel between 22 December and 2 January, and 48 hours either side of those dates... can change to another BA flight departing in the next 12 months at no charge" BA statement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411214.stm

As it is cabin stewards and FAs, it is highly likely that BA will be able to use managers, executives and non-union staff to crew up the most profitable flights. I would anticipate that BA will be able to keep routes going. The replacement crews will only be working 12-15 days, and will be able to maintain compliance with weekly and monthly hour maximums. On those flights that are not filled to capacity, I would anticipate consolidation. Think about it. If you were some junior and the boss said, hey if you want to visit Hong Kong or Singapore, we'll pay for it, all you have to do is work like a beast for 15 hours or so and put up with rude slobs. Most people would grab at an opportunity to do that for a couple weeks. It worked for other major airlines. They can train replacement crews in under a week. As well, many of the managers already have been trained. I also believe that BA will use its One World partners to fill in some gaps.

Yes, there will be a terrible inconvenience, but if one plans ahead and keeps abreast of developments, there is a chance one will be able to make the flight +/-2 days. There is also likelihood one could get stranded, but I do not anticipate the minister allowing such a strike to go beyond a few days. Although parliament will be recessed, the minister does have the authority to order the crews back to work if national security or the economic security of the nation is at stake. I believe that crippling the national carrier at Christmas meets that criteria.

Of course, it's easy for me to say since I'm not the one stressed out.

British Airways, once know as Born Again, to be re-launched as Bloody Awfull ! :D

But you've got to admire their timing !

Blame the Unions mate. Don't think its WW that is forcing millions of travellers over Xmas and New Years to cancel / change their plans.

Poor timing. Guess the cabin crews wanted a break this holiday season. Got to admire them though, usually Unions like to go on strike in the warmer months. :)

Just let the buggers go bankrupt, and break it up into more manageable pieces.

Can't. The profitable long haul & shuttle routes generate the funds to cover the losses on the many unprofitable routes BA serves. Long story short, but the Low cost airlines worldwide are notorious for not serving money losing routes. It's the burden of legacy carriers.

ABSOLUTLEY F********* Typical ,

As a British expat this is the first <deleted> time ive booked Ba Buisiness and F*** me they go on strike ( return was due 30th )

<deleted>***** <deleted>****ers

Trying to change now to quantas , but theyve locked up their sites with everyone trying to switch

<deleted>** BA

As a British expat this is the first <deleted> time ive booked Ba Buisiness and F*** me they go on strike ( return was due 30th )

Trying to change now to quantas , but theyve locked up their sites with everyone trying to switch

<deleted>** BA

Tell us how you really feel. :)

<deleted>** BA

So it's your fault then! JK.

Shit all around this is. Me thinks though as Business Class Passenger your odds of getting on a Qantas flight will be better.

It never ceases to amaze me at the lengths unions will go to make a point, the consquences of their action maybe be the final blow to BA. Not before tiime anyway, BA is the most overpriced with lethargiv on board service that I have ever flown with and that is in Biz class.

Better they go belly up and restructure completly and maybe come out more efficient and competative.

it's a hard blow for all the people wishing to get home for the festive season, I do hope that BA fits them in somehow with other carriers.

On the bright side you could be stuck in a miserable hole like Lagos, at least in Thailand a good time is there for the taking.

Denboy

Other staff within BA have HAD to adapt to sweeping changes due to the global downturn in order to keep the airline in business, however, for some reason, the older cabin crew...you know the type, the one's with that smug look on their faces when serving you your cup of tea, have decided that they are not going in line with their other colleagues and are certainly not going to wake up to the real World. Pretty unbelievable really. One of the reasons was that they were not happy that crew would be reduced from 15 down to 14 on Long Haul flights. Bloody hel_l, just serve the tea will ya!!!!! :) Striking during the UK's worst recession in history...who thought of that one???????!!!!!!

Crap airline...Crap dinousaur staff!!!!! Next...

As a non UK citizen, and someone that has flown on BA, they aren't all bad :)

Trust me, if you want surly try some of he Air Canada FAs and for incompetence, there is US Airways. And then you have EU delights like Olympic or Alitalia So yea, BA isn't the regal experience it once was, but BA is no worse than anyone else. Not much of an excuse I know, but at least I can understand the staff most of the time, except if they are from the North. :D

BA management knows it's in a pickle and is trying to help its PAX. However, when you are that big, a small percentage of problems translates into a lot of PAX getting hurt.

Try using a One World partner and considering alternative routings via the continent such as CDG, AMS and FRA.

As it is cabin stewards and FAs, it is highly likely that BA will be able to use managers, executives and non-union staff to crew up the most profitable flights. I would anticipate that BA will be able to keep routes going. The replacement crews will only be working 12-15 days, and will be able to maintain compliance with weekly and monthly hour maximums. On those flights that are not filled to capacity, I would anticipate consolidation. Think about it. If you were some junior and the boss said, hey if you want to visit Hong Kong or Singapore, we'll pay for it, all you have to do is work like a beast for 15 hours or so and put up with rude slobs. Most people would grab at an opportunity to do that for a couple weeks. It worked for other major airlines. They can train replacement crews in under a week. As well, many of the managers already have been trained. I also believe that BA will use its One World partners to fill in some gaps.

Yes, there will be a terrible inconvenience, but if one plans ahead and keeps abreast of developments, there is a chance one will be able to make the flight +/-2 days. There is also likelihood one could get stranded, but I do not anticipate the minister allowing such a strike to go beyond a few days. Although parliament will be recessed, the minister does have the authority to order the crews back to work if national security or the economic security of the nation is at stake. I believe that crippling the national carrier at Christmas meets that criteria.

Of course, it's easy for me to say since I'm not the one stressed out.

Sorry but he does not have the power to do it. National security, economic security??? There are many other carriers that fly from UK you know!

BA is a PLC and cannot be fiddled with by any Government idiot, no matter what title they hold.

I don't agree with this stupid strike but as we know the present Government could not organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone fix this dispute.

Christ, the labour party activists brought this country to it's knees in the late 70's and early 80's so are the last people to bring into this mess.

The trolly dollies and BA need to bring in ACAS and stop acting like idiots. Millions of people are going to be inconvienanced if this strike goes ahead.

Grow up you children. :)

In 1982 I flew BA from Heathrow to San Francisco via Seattle. We left at 1300 hours. The cabin crew served us a meal. When they'd cleared up they went down the back of the plane and got their heads down. There was NO cabin service till just before we arrived in Seattle. I vowed then never to fly with them again.

BA is one of the worst airlines i have had the displeasure of flying with. BA with regard to the staff stands for Bad Attitude. I found the cabin staff to be officious, miserable faced - and general lazy in that once the meal is served then they disappear for the night.

Everything seems like a bother to them and they act like gestapo when it comes to petty regulations. I think they have got the balance sadly wrong with their chioce of staff - being mostly gay men and butch women. They should take some lessons from the polite and hardworking Thai airways staff.

And also worth remembering the scandal some years ago when BA pilots were found to be flying after consuming large amounts of alcohol having had only a couple of hours sleep.

the worlds number one airline - my arse!

In 1982 I flew BA from Heathrow to San Francisco via Seattle. We left at 1300 hours. The cabin crew served us a meal. When they'd cleared up they went down the back of the plane and got their heads down. There was NO cabin service till just before we arrived in Seattle. I vowed then never to fly with them again.

When that happens I take myself down to the galley & poke around in there to get myself something, it normally jerks one of them into action..... :)

The pension funds are showing a deficit of 292 million.........letting them go under would have other consequences than just no airline!!!

The hole in the pension fund is about GBP3.7 billion....

vide: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/british-a...15ac0b.html?x=0

Just liquidate the whole caboodle, if it can't be broken up. It's on a hiding to nothing.

When that happens I take myself down to the galley & poke around in there to get myself something, it normally jerks one of them into action..... :)

As they headed down the back of the plane they told us that if we wanted anything (apart from the booze which they'd locked away) we could get it ourselves from the galley.

Updated Information

According to news stories a British court has just banned the planned strike by BA cabin staff and ground personnel over the Christmas season.

(From a CNN news story today 17 December 2009)

At this time it appears that all BA flights will be flying during that period

However...some other info: (from the same CNN news source)

Further travel headaches are in store for passengers of other airlines at Heathrow and Aberdeen airports next week.

Unite said baggage handlers and check-in staff at the two airports plan a series of three separate walkouts starting next week in a dispute over pay and pensions. The strike is not related to the British Airways dispute. The baggage handlers and check-in staff are employed by SAS Ground Services UK Ltd.

The strike will affect travelers on Turkish, Emirates and Thai airlines at Heathrow and passengers on KLM, Air France, Wideroe and Atlantic at Aberdeen, Unite said. The walkouts are scheduled for December 22-24, December 26-27 and January 3-4.

Note especiallty the info about Emirates and Thai flights at Heathrow...a common flight from BKK to Heathrow for many.

Edited by IMA_FARANG