A Permanent Move To Northern Thailand

My partner and I plan to move to Northern Thailand near the Myanmar border in February 2010. We have investigated the Visa issue, but I cannot find the answers I'm looking for.

We will start with a tourist visa (we are Australian) and then renew it as necessary. Some Thai visa sites say it can only be renewed for only 30 days at 1500 Baht, is this correct? Do I have to go over to Myanmar every month/ 2 months? Or do I go to Chiang Mai to an Immigration office?

Also - is it do-able? We have been told by Thai locals in Northern Thailand that it won't be a problem to keep renewing the visa. That's fine for them to say that, but they don't know the immigration officials!

We plan to live there permanently and I hope to obtain a work permit further down the track, but can someone tell me from experience what they have done to renew tourist visas? I am under 55 and not married to a Thai....please help!

Thank you :)

the latest I've seen on a (over-seas) Thailand Visa application form is;

a tourist visa (60 days) allows up to 3 entries, I have read comments from the members here that they only could

extend or enter up to 2 times. I think another experienced member will share their views.

crossing the border such as Tachilek/Maesai will only give you a 15 day extension.

I think you should get a 'O' visa multiple retiree - the age requirement in 50yrs and not 55yrs, this way you

will be able to extend every 90 days at your local immigration jurisdiction.

An option, if in Melbourne go to the embassy and talk to the bloke there. Tell him you are looking at a permanent stay and he may give you 2 x 30 days then after the 6 months here you go to Mae sai and get a retirement extension.

This gives you nearly 6 months to see if your plans are OK. Other Aussie cities have embassies as well.

AY AY AY AY AY should have said 2 x 90 day non immigrant visa.

Thanks for the replies y'all. The problem is I am 33. Can I apply for a tourist visa and then look for work when I'm there and have them organise the visa and work permit?

You have to get your visa out of Thailand. As for work unless you are a qualified teacher your chances of legal work are slim to none.

Yes you can look for work on a tourist visa - each entry allows a 60 day stay and can be extended for 30 days at an Immigration office inside Thailand for 1,900 baht. New visas can be obtained in Vientiane or other Consulates as required - but after a handful questions may be asked to be sure you have not engaged in illegal work. Border crossings without visa will only get a 15 day permitted to stay stamp.

Easier to get a 1 year Education Visa, 24kbht for the school

Or 1 year volunteer worker Education Visa, 15kbht placement fee for school.

Thanks Pjclark1, excuse my ignorance, but don't I need be enrolled to study in school/uni or apply for a job with a school?

BTW, WOW that's expensive!

This is not concerning the visa issue. If you have not lived overseas before and especially if you have not spent a great deal of time in North Thailand- I would suggest you not make big plans. The area is isolated and you will not be part of a Thai community as many ex-pats married to Thai's are.

Unless of course you are thinking of Chiang Mai and to a lesser degree Chiang Rai. I lived in isolated village in the Tak area for 2 years and with my Thai wife and I finally had to get out of there for my sanity. I moved to Bangkok and then from there to Phuket. Western amenities are very important I found out -from food to movies and books and a good cop of coffee.

Thanks for the advice Capealava. I have been to Mae Hong Son many times and stayed there for up to a month over the last 8 years. The western amenities I have already thought about and investigated. Yes, I will be doing without some of the luxuries of home, but this plan has been 2 years in the making and I'm not giving up yet! :) And then of course I can always check out the south...

Lopburi, I have a question for you. I noticed on another thread that a gentleman from the UK was planning to visit Bangkok and he did not have work lined up for the visa. He was advised to obtain a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa and state he was 'visiting friends'. I have investigated this visa on TV and it appears to be only for visiting family in Thailand, for a Thai national or a sport coach/contestant/witness. I want to move from Australia to Northern Thailand and I have only found a Tourist Visa will suffice, that is until they decide not to renew! :)

Hull in the UK and Perth in OZ will normally issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa to those visiting friends in Thailand. Perth will require copy of the Thai ID card for there records.

Thanks Lopburi. My only problem is obtaining a Thai ID card! Anyway, can I obtain one in Myanmar after coming over on a tourist visa, as they have to be obtained outside Thailand - does this work? :)

other folks here have much more experience than me.. but what he means about a thai ID card is a photocopy

of a thai friend's ID card.. so literally they [immigration] know the person who you are visiting.

try the consulates in Perth or Brisbane.. ask for a double entry tourist Visa which will get you 6 months, in

two 2 month chunks plus 1 month extension at the chiang mai immigration office for 1900 baht. in between,

at 3 months a trip to Mae Sai is necessary to restart the 2nd half of the visa.

if you have teaching qualifications, you should be able to find work. that's pretty much the only work

you'll get. Don't rely on Myanmar crossings, as it only gets you 15 days extention, unless you have a

Visa from the Thai embassy. The Thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos is where you need to go for Visas,

when you are here. Unless you get an ED visa, studying Thai, where you have to go to Bangkok to do

the paperwork, but someone else may know that answer exactly.

best of luck