Question About Marriage Procedure

My exact question before making this to long.

I'm 30 years old from US. Will be marrying a Thai Citizen in February. I'm looking to see exactly what is needed to make the marriage legal/registered both in the US and Thailand.

The above is what I'm looking for a response to. Here is some more details:

I've been Google searching and found the same article several times where it starts with:

"A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage." ( link: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html )

The article then continues and I can't determine if the instructions go on just to say what is required to register the marriage in Thailand, or if it is saying these extra steps because this is also making it legal in US.

This is important because eventually (a few years down the road) we might want to live in Las Vegas a couple months out of the year. For at least the first year there won't be any plans to come back to US, but don't want to get set back finding out i did something wrong or didn't register marriage right. Also I like to be prepared and trying to figure out where I need to be when to plan this all.

Responses appreciated. i look forward to future when i have more info like you guys and can return favor responding to others threads.

It is for getting a legal marriage in Thailand.

Believe marriage is a state thing, not a federal one, so the embassy can't help you there. You will have to register with your own state, according to their procedures if you want it also registered in the US.

(If I'm wrong, someone will correct me on this).

Legal marriages in Thailand are accepted as legal in the US. Nothing to register in the US.

When you start doing the paperwork for your spouses US visa they will need a copy of your Thai marriage certificate.

It's not overly complicated.

Take a look at the US Embassy site for information regarding US citizens wanting to get married here.

It is for getting a legal marriage in Thailand.

Believe marriage is a state thing, not a federal one, so the embassy can't help you there. You will have to register with your own state, according to their procedures if you want it also registered in the US.

(If I'm wrong, someone will correct me on this).

Ok thanks. I think you're correct on it being a state thing. I know where to search / look further now. Prior i was trying to figure out what that article was saying because it wasn't clear to me and was just copied and pasted all over.

Legal marriages in Thailand are accepted as legal in the US. Nothing to register in the US.

When you start doing the paperwork for your spouses US visa they will need a copy of your Thai marriage certificate.

It's not overly complicated.

Take a look at the US Embassy site for information regarding US citizens wanting to get married here.

Okay even better response :). Thanks a lot.

You are issued two marriage certificates in Thai that are serialized. These are on file at the local amphur and the MFA. Trust me, all she has to do is wave it at an attorney in the states and YOU are SOL. :)

Edited by gotlost

1. Marriage will require that you obtain/fill out/have motorized document from US Embassy with bio data, that you are currently single, income and several references in the US. This document then must be translated into Thai and then registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. Once you have this you and intended can register your marriage at any District Office in about an hour or so. You are then married worldwide.

2. For later use in US you should have several translations made of your Marriage Certificate and have them registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They are now legal documents for use in the US if needed for official reasons, such as insurance/pension and such.

3. There is no registration of marriage with the Embassy. But you should register as living here (not required but keeps you in the loop). If you plan travel at a later date she should obtain a normal tourist visa to cover short stays in the US.

1. Marriage will require that you obtain/fill out/have motorized document from US Embassy with bio data, that you are currently single, income and several references in the US. This document then must be translated into Thai and then registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. Once you have this you and intended can register your marriage at any District Office in about an hour or so. You are then married worldwide.

2. For later use in US you should have several translations made of your Marriage Certificate and have them registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They are now legal documents for use in the US if needed for official reasons, such as insurance/pension and such.

3. There is no registration of marriage with the Embassy. But you should register as living here (not required but keeps you in the loop). If you plan travel at a later date she should obtain a normal tourist visa to cover short stays in the US.

Sorry to be picky, but it is not registration the Thai Consular Service (in Chaeng Wattana) provides but certification that the translation is a true and accurate document. Be careful who you use to do the translation because Chaeng Wattana does check accuracy. It is not just a take your money and provide a rubber stamp imprint operation.

It is a good idea to get one because the Thai certificate you receive, while legal, is pretty much worthless outside of Thailand.

Good luck with your missus in Vegas. Hold on to your wallet though. Thais+gambling = The Workhouse!!

During the legalization process they make copies for there file and stamp a registration number/date on the translation for future reference, along with there red stamp. Not sure if still the case but 15 years ago translations had to be done by translators/firms certified by the MFA.

During the legalization process they make copies for there file and stamp a registration number/date on the translation for future reference, along with there red stamp. Not sure if still the case but 15 years ago translations had to be done by translators/firms certified by the MFA.

Yes lopburi you are correct. I did not mean to contradict you and apologize if it appeared that way. They do both register and certify.

I am happy to be corrected but I do not believe you have to use a certified translator these days, but for certain it has to be accurate and they do check.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

LOL @ Thai + Gambling comment. Thankfully she does not gamble at all, hates the lotto etc.

I did have a thai girlfriend a while ago in Vegas b4 and man, yes. Will not discuss that one, it was a nightmare. And not even about my money she had a decent job and own money. it was just that after a while life for her was work then sit 10+ hours at a slot machine and do nothing but work and gamble forever. Total waste of life in end. I just ran into her while short visit back to Vegas (here already for Holidays) and still the same.

Anyways. I think i know everything i need to for now. If questions come up when it gets closer I'll post them. Hopefully won't have to and will just be making a trip report post of the process.

Thanks again.

I do have some questions. None of this is critical and I get by without the info in advanced but if anyone has answers on top of their head it would be appreciated.

Note: I don’t know Bangkok at all, I’ve only stayed there during layovers in a nearby hotel and been to airport is all.

Section 1 Travel

I made an appointment at 13:00 at the US embassy and booked a flight coming in at 10:00 to Suvarnabhumi airport, that returns the next day at 16:15. Gives me an extra day if something gets delayed or run out of time.

Q-1: Any hotel advice for something very cheap but safe and suitable for two people to sleep. My plan right now is to book Centre Point Wireless Road for 3900 baht for the night which is right next to the embassy. If there is something still relatively close but considerably cheaper then I’d probably go there.

Q-2: I’m generally a taxi person because I don’t know any better. Yes I know about using real taxi, meter etc (I lived in Vegas and bet taxi scams are worst there then anywhere). If there is a better method of transportation from airport to embassy please let me know.

Q-3 The Ministry of Foreign Affairs - How far is this from embassy? And what is the best way to travel there?

Section 2 Procedure Questions

Q-4 Register affidavit at The Ministry of Foreign Affairs - I read somewhere this takes 3-4 days and now can’t find where I read this. is this true. If so, can they mail the papers to me or do I need to go back to Bangkok and pick them up?

Q-5 Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office) – I don’t know what this building actually is. When I had family in Thailand they went to a building in Udon about changing a Childs last name. Same place? From past experience we generally end up lost or at the wrong place anytime I ask thais I know where to go for something. This one might be straight forward but figured better to just ask and know in advanced in order to save time.

Thanks in advanced for any responses.

1. You should be able to obtain safe room at a hotel within 15 minute walk for under 1,500 baht. Look at a hotel booking site and check locations on map and look at a few. But if only one night I probably would not bother if you are happy with your choice.

2. Believe you will travel airport to hotel. If the overhead train service is operating I would take that into Bangkok and taxi from there to hotel. Likely to be faster and cheaper. So far it has only been in test operation as not enough carriages available. Otherwise taxi is fine - just be sure they turn on meter. You will have to pay any toll road charges.

3. MFA is in town but the section you need is at the Passport Office on Chiang Wattana Road. This is outside the CBD toward the old airport and can take an hour or so. I would have translation service do the footwork. That is done in the Embassy area.

4. There is no more same day service from my understanding but believe can be ready next day. I would have the translator do this as they know the ins/outs. Believe you could make arrangements with service to mail but not sure about MFA.

5. Same place. It is the District Office; same place she would get ID card. City hall is what many of us would call it. Every District has one - so if outside the city of Udon you may use the local office. It can be done at any office.

• 3 weeks later...
1. You should be able to obtain safe room at a hotel within 15 minute walk for under 1,500 baht. Look at a hotel booking site and check locations on map and look at a few. But if only one night I probably would not bother if you are happy with your choice.

2. Believe you will travel airport to hotel. If the overhead train service is operating I would take that into Bangkok and taxi from there to hotel. Likely to be faster and cheaper. So far it has only been in test operation as not enough carriages available. Otherwise taxi is fine - just be sure they turn on meter. You will have to pay any toll road charges.

3. MFA is in town but the section you need is at the Passport Office on Chiang Wattana Road. This is outside the CBD toward the old airport and can take an hour or so. I would have translation service do the footwork. That is done in the Embassy area.

4. There is no more same day service from my understanding but believe can be ready next day. I would have the translator do this as they know the ins/outs. Believe you could make arrangements with service to mail but not sure about MFA.

5. Same place. It is the District Office; same place she would get ID card. City hall is what many of us would call it. Every District has one - so if outside the city of Udon you may use the local office. It can be done at any office.

I'm wondering if anyone has more updated info about whether or not you can get same day service, next day service or a postal service from the MFA?

I'm wondering if anyone has more updated info about whether or not you can get same day service, next day service or a postal service from the MFA?

Same day service has been suspended till futher notice. It migth be that a translation agency is able to offer it, but haven't heard of it so far. (for legalisation of documents)

Same day service has been suspended till futher notice. It migth be that a translation agency is able to offer it, but haven't heard of it so far. (for legalisation of documents)

OK, Thanks for info.