Ubc Waste Of Money?

whistleblower

we had ubc for several yrs (paid yr up front for small discount) gold pkg. one of the most frustrating aspects for me was that as a gold member we could not see the same channles as the less exp. silver pkg and the best programs were on the plat. pkg hence the gold was more the value of copper. I finally decided that i could buy movies every week and within a yr i would have enough of the latest movies to do all the movie programming my family could ask for. at the end of the contract we switched to cable which is like a ubc silver pkg. and have never had a complaint and it's cost is a fraction of ubc.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had truevisions for 5 years, with the DVR, and the Gold package (Plus the disney extension for the kids). Is it as good as it should be? No. Is it serviceable? Yes. I get CNN, I get to watch the occasional US sporting event (at 7am bleh), and I enjoy the history channel, discovery channel, etc. The rest of just for channel flipping when I come home late, after working all day. I don't watch tv more than a hour anyway, so I have no comment about movies, old or new. Must be nice for so many to have all that free time lol.

I used to get aggravated every time I watched it. About a year ago we discontinued the service. My wife bought a small dish and it has enough variety to keep her happy. The part she likes best about her little dish is that it's a free service.

Did you ever notice that people still keep calling it "UBC" It hasn't been "UBC" for more than 3 years....time to find the right name.

Perhaps people still think of it as UBC from three years ago, as the programes and movies shown are the same ones as were on three years ago! :)

Have platinum plus all the extra channels. It could be better but to be honest TV doesnt rule my life and there are occasionally good movies to watch after work. The european footabll is there if a I want it and some baseball. Some of the knowledge programs are vaguely interesting, and comparing CNN and BBC news is usually a laugh before work. My daughter and wife also have their favourite channels/programs although the wife got upset when BBC Entertainment was removed. Its OK. We also have the local cable at 300 baht per month which is far worse although Al Jazeera isnt bad.

Guess it depends on your entertainment needs really. Ours arent contrated around TV but it is there when we want it as an option, and it provides more variety than any other TV option in Thailand right now.

UBC is a waste of money - TV is a waste of life.

And how about posting 8,500 messages about wasting money and products that are a waste of life.

True Vision is a waste of money agree, but TV isn,t a waste of life.

you have one?????

You mean Thai Visa?

Yes, I have a life now but never used to.

And how about posting 8,500 messages about wasting money and products that are a waste of life.

True Vision is a waste of money agree, but TV isn,t a waste of life.

you have one?????

You mean Thai Visa?

Yes, I have a life now but never used to.

Sorry to hear that, that was not what i wanted to say.

I was asking if you had a TV by yourself, and i dont think that a TV is waste of live as some channels are educational and intresting.

I don't know how anyone can hand over money for TrueVisionsOfGarbage! From endless Martha to old movies, it just stinks. Does it still go out in the rain?

It must be cheaper and better value to buy DVDs and or download any series you may wish, there are legal ways to do it. I doubt anyone really needs that much telly.

UBC is a waste of money - TV is a waste of life.

We should all be humbled by Neeranam's declaration that our lives are of little value if we occasionally sit down to rest in the evening and watch a movie or a news report. Or, if we're sick, as I have been the past couple of days, that we watch a little television rather than just simply slitting our wrists and ending our wretched lives.

I only got the gold package so i could watch NBA, K1 and UFC or so I thought.

They only show 2 NBA games a week and no UFC.. Will not be extending.

Whacha mean no UFC, I watched it last night, top of the bill, Franklin versus Silva.

What channel is that? Never seen it advertised?

Whacha mean no UFC, I watched it last night, top of the bill, Franklin versus Silva.

Truesport 2.

Last night was on at 9pm.

Repeat scheduled for tomorrow lunchtime 12.30.

WE TV is a local cable network in Chiang Mai with something like 30 chanels of mostly garbage for 350 per month. The movies aren't bad, but mostly Thai language and they have always had BBC and CNN, until they finally cancelled CNN a few weeks ago. They replaced it with SKY News which makes CNN look Oscar worthy, but what do you want for 350?

Yep, that's a defo plus now that CNN has been dropped :). Actually there's only a couple of Thai language movie channels, as there are English language ones. All Thai terrestrial channels are included which is probably what you're getting mixed up with. I agree, a lot is crap - especially the aussie rubbish - but lets face it, what extra are you getting with UBC? Nothing. You don't even get the Olympics, or, more importantly for me, Formula 1. On UBC, the movies are always old and repeated several times a day. At least with WeTV they'll even bung on films that haven't long been out. Torrents no doubt, but who gives a shit. Rarely watch TV, but having stuff like the cricket, ruggers and the F1 sure beats three channels of football... and with the addition of BBC, what else does one need.

Right now they are trying to coherse me to upgrading to Platinum by promoting it for free through December. Well thanks but no thanks, nothing there worth throwing more good money after bad. I've had gold for some 7 years and forever threatening to give it the arse, unfortunately we do not have much choice out here in the Isaan rice paddies. PSI serves me well through the Australian football season and other content on Australia Network (ABC).

Sorry to hear that, that was not what i wanted to say.

I was asking if you had a TV by yourself, and i dont think that a TV is waste of live as some channels are educational and intresting.

We have a couple of TVs - one for the wife and kids and one for me. I have Khon Kaen Cable which has 60+ channels(only 300 baht a month) and a large satelite which has 200+ channels. I watch about 5 hours a week, usually poker, football, BBC, Aljazerra, and sometimes the educational ones like the Flintstones or National Geeographic. :) If it were'nt for my other addictions, i guess I'd watch a lot more.

UFC on true sport 2 is all repeats from earlier in the year, they show live boxing so I don't know why they can't show UFC live.

At 2000 baht+ p/month True visions platinum is a complete waist of money, at 300 p/month through my dream box it's a worthwhile investment though :)

At 2000 baht+ p/month True visions platinum is a complete waist of money, at 300 p/month through my dream box it's a worthwhile investment though :)

Where you face a criminal fine not exceeding THB 800,000 and or 2 years in Jail and as it is a criminal offense, deportation and never able to return to Thailand, all for stealing TrueVisions, I am glad you think that is a worthwhile investment (I think not).

Edited by joncl

I've had UBC/True for the last 9 or so years. I have the platinum package and to me it represents excellent value for money for the football alone.
Obviously of English or European descent and very easily pleased. There is a wider audience in case you haven't noticed.

Great! A fight that happened only 3 months ago. :) i watched that fight for free by downloading it from the net two hours after it finished. A better bargain than what UBC/TRUE provides. So is having breakfast at a bar to watch the big fights with friends on the occasional Sunday morning. IMHO.

My condo pirates HBO and CMAX, 20 year old movies mixed in with current box office flops. I was asked if I wanted to "upgrade" to "UBC" (the managers phrase) but declined.