Visa And Plane Question.

I am flying out of London Heathrow for Bangkok on a one way ticket from Thaiair. I have another one way ticket back to America (I am an American citizen) but the departure date is 8 months after I arrive in Bangkok. I want to just get a 30 day tourist exempt pass, but I am concerned that I will not be allowed to board my plane in London because my return is more than 30 days on. I will be traveling overland, so I will not be overstaying my 30 day visa.

SO...has anyone flown out of London Heathrow on Thaiair and not had a return less than 30 days on and gotten the 30 day exempt Thai pass? Did you have any problems boarding the plane at Heathrow?

Thanks.

I think your wise option is to call Thai Air and ask them. There should be no problem getting a 30 day stamp at BKK if you make it there because they almost never ask to see onward tickets; your potential problem is at Heathrow.

Flying fromt the US on Northwest, I was told clearly at the gate if I didn't have a visa, or couldn't show an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, they would indeed refuse boarding. I was also told you can get lucky and get an overworked or badly trained agent.

You might have to buy a e-ticket to Penang that you do not intend to use in order to board. Or, if you have time, get a tourist visa.

I think your wise option is to call Thai Air and ask them. There should be no problem getting a 30 day stamp at BKK if you make it there because they almost never ask to see onward tickets; your potential problem is at Heathrow.

Flying fromt the US on Northwest, I was told clearly at the gate if I didn't have a visa, or couldn't show an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, they would indeed refuse boarding. I was also told you can get lucky and get an overworked or badly trained agent.

You might have to buy a e-ticket to Penang that you do not intend to use in order to board. Or, if you have time, get a tourist visa.

I had this problem in September of last year when I was due to come back here. I phoned BA and explained to them that I had only a 'one way' ticket. They told me to by the most expensive return ticket from them £1050. By doing this you can cancell the ticket at a minutes notice. I did as they told me and when I got to BKK i phoned and cancelled the ticket and all the money was paid back into my visa card account.

Thanks everyone.

I have attempted to email/call Thaiair but that was a bit of a mess. I called the US office a few weeks ago and after waiting on hold for over 30 minute (!!!) a woman told me that I didn't need to have a return ticket within 30 days. However, my trust in her accuracy was nonexistent.

So I tried to email the London airport as well. One nice fellow emailed me back and told me that he had no idea.

Frankly it blows my mind that no one seems to know what their own airline's policy is!!!!

Soooooo....I am just going to get the tourist visa. My feelings are that I would be fine, but it really isn't a big deal for me at all to get the visa. If I ended up being turned away at the airport in London I would be kicking myself for not spending the 25 USDs.

Thank again.

Rebecca.

I have done the same thing on a number a different occasions without many problems (somtimes with one way tickets and sometimes with 11 month open return tickets). I explained that i was to do a tour of SE asia and that i would be purchasing further tickets from agents inside of Thailand etc.. and that explanation has always worked. If you are worried and that this may not work and don't want to fork out for the return flight to London just buy a cheap ticket to Singapore ( about 100 bucks ) and the Thai's will accept that as proof that you are goint to leave the kingdom.

Good luck

Happy Travelling

Thai airways check in in London is handled by Air Canada. They are on the whole a very long serving and experienced group of check in agents that have probably been there for as long as Heathrow. Its one of the only places where my visa is checked rigourously and they actually look at the right one (unlike many check in agents in other places). They will likely follow the rules exactly, however if you are well dressed, come across well and explain your doing something that sounds plausible and expensive I think you would be OK.