Help Me Decide With This Little Experiment

phazey

Hi,

I'm currently going though the task of getting my pad in east Bangkok connected with DSL. I'll be using it for general surfing needs, but the most important is watching english language TV - especially news channels as i like to leave them on in the background. So i'd like to ask if you guys could do a little something for me and post your results.

You'll need the latest player from http://tvunetworks.com - I've been using it for about 2 years with no issues.

Once you have it installed, search for "BBC" - you should see BBC World News - connect and stream it, see how it is.

Give your experience a score 0 - 10 and please let me know what ISP and what data plan you're using. This will be real helpful for me. I'd also like to know what time of day you did this as peak times i know some things can get congested.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks very much. You're right, it streams at 1.5mb - high, but it sure looks good on a 42" LCD. There are lower streams available, but are either a hassle to set up, or sometimes not showing up. I'm not quite sure why the bitrate is so high as it looks pretty much the same when streaming at 384kbps.

So you're planning to use 1.5mb of our precious and scarce international bandwidth so you can have news running in the background? Why not set up a cheap satellite system for that?

**sigh**

I never saw in my OP a request for half assed comments....

Read this

I've installed TVU after reading this thread. All seems ok, and I've allowed it through my firewall, but on every channel I select I get the "connecting" message for about a minute and then "stopped". Can't seem to get any further with it. Any ideas?

Maxnet Indy 5mb in Chiang Mai.