Bronze Rain Drums (reproduction)

just_Elaine

Does anyone know where to find a bronze rain drum?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Just Elaine,

Do keep in mind that all the ones being offered around here are copies; they've all been deliberately made to appear to have an ancient patina through chemical treatment. That doesn't mean they can't make beautiful decorative objects. What it does mean is that you are purchasing something that probably cost less 2000 baht to make, and which a shop owner almost certainly paid less than 3k baht for.

My human is no longer involved in dealing in South-Eastern Asian art, but he will be happy to guide you (at no charge ... well, maybe a coffee ... ) if you care to PM him on this topic. He learned the hard way.

best, ~o:37;

Sawadee Khaa! Thank you for your replies.

getgoin -- We think we went to the shop you mentioned that is on the way to Bo Sang. As we parked, we could see the sales staff getting ready to help us. Hubby said, "This looks like the kind of place I hate". We got out of the car and went in anyway. We went straight away to the rain drums and the first one I looked at was priced in U.S. Dollars - $2,100. We were ready to walk. The sales lady said, "how much do you want to pay". There was so much difference between what we would be willing to pay and how much the thing was priced that we just left.

geovalin and orang37 - We wanted to do some homework first to see if the rain drums would even be in our budget. So we went to the place mentioned above and to Baan Tawaii. We found three places at Baan Tawaii.

• The first shop had several - the small ones for 10,000 baht and the medium/large (I think 22" or 23") for 20,000 baht. I think we only asked about the frog style ones at that shop.

• The second shop had two, both about the same size, but the condition was not acceptable to us. The price was 20,000 baht.

• The third shop had the small Thai style ones for 7,500 baht and a Khmer style one that was about 18". I can't really remember the prices here because they said that they were looking at the old price list so the 18" one changed from 11,875 baht to 14,000 baht, I think. Or maybe they were talking about the 24" one that could be ordered, but would take a month.

We had seen rain drums a few years ago and kind of liked them. We are staying in a place without a coffee table and thought this might be a great opportunity to get both a table and something we liked.

geovalin - Are you in Chiang Mai?

orang37 - Thanks for the offer. We may PM you next week.

Sorry for the long post, but thought others might be interested. By the way, we did not try to bargain since we were just doing research.