Punishments.

coalminer

I think it has happened to most of us, we find a mistake in the title of the thread and cannot change it ourselves

May I suggest that a moderator change the title of the thread from verbal punishment to corporal punishment. I am sure that the OP would agree

English is not my primary language.

Not even my third language.

Thus, if the moderator find it appropriate to change the tittle of the page, be my guest.

If something causes neither discomfort nor distress, then can it properly be described as "punishment"?

Part of my difficulty here is following the OP in his jump from "smack on the hand with a ruler" to "handicapped for life".

As I wrote in reply to another post, I have a friend who is deaf on one side because of a simple slap in the face by the teacher.

But more in accordance with the OP.

I was hit by a heavy square ruler on the finger tips by a Catholic monk at the time I was in school (end pf the '50's) becuase a droplet of ink felt on the paper. At that time, we were writing with old fashioned pens and real ink.

The hit of the ruler broke a bone and left the end of my little finger at an angle of 15 degrees to the rest of the fingers.

But it was only "a little hit on the fingers" and I did not feel anything other than a little bit of pain.

Don't be surprised if several of your teachers say that your child is doing better in school now after you complain :)

If you're really angry, then you could demand a written explanation as to why the teacher invoked corporal punishment even though a perfectly valid reason existed. The school will most likely refuse to answer in writing, mail is stronger than handing over the letter personally. I don't know what the goal would be with doing it really, don't think it would achieve anything (more) than what complaining to the headmaster would

Thanks for the well balanced and well written opinion on this matter.

Coalminer

I have had the same feeling you have about my daughter being treated unfairly, much less serious though, I understand how you feel.

I do think that the headmaster will take action (tell him that that you/your wife talked to several other parents about the corporal punishment going on, regardless of if you did or not). I'd not make his life easier by giving him a chance to prepare anything, if you call to check if he's in, don't tell why you want to see him. If you have to make an appointment, just say corporal punishment , they will ask who but do NOT tell which teacher.

It is always good to give the headmaster a way out, an alternative. He will not accept that corporal punishment exists in his school so he will not accept to banish it either, but he may be open to make sure that your child is not hit again. If you're happy or at least satisfied with the school apart from what's happened now, then that is all you need really. It is difficult for Thais to apologise, if you see regret that it happened, then acknowledge it. Best way to ensure a happy ending to the problem is to finish the meeting with the headmaster having created good feelings too, not only negative ones

I'd avoid comments like "I don't care what you do to your own children", they don't help finding a good solution to the problem. Just sharing my experience, I really had to control myself not to say it

Best Regards

Michael

Edited by MikeyIdea

Unless there is evidence that the teacher is applying too much physical punishment for minor indiscretions, my only reaction would be to explain to your daughter the difficulties that some teachers have in trying to get a whole class full of students to do what is asked of them.

When there is enough evidence of verbal/corporal abuse, your only reaction wouldbe to explain to your son/daughter that you were waiting until the teacher caused an injury?

Besides the mental injury that can be done to my child by the teacher who hit her with a metal ruler (she did nothing wrong) bodily injury can have been donewithout any visible marks.

I have a friend who went to school in the late fifties and a teacher slapped him in the face with his hand for not paying "enough" attention.

The blow of the hand palm was enough to brake his hearing organ and let him deaf on one side.

What would you tel if it happend to your child, Mighty Mouse?

"There is no evidance of bodily injury?"

I get the impression that you are now trying to embellish this story to make it sound more serious and more alarming that what you wrote in your original post.

You originally wrote: After a few minutes of trying to find out what happened, she started to cry and told us that the swimming teacher hit everybody who had no swimsuit 3 times with a metal ruler on the hand palms.

The swimming teacher hit everybody without a swim suit on the palms of their hands. That's a lot different than slapping someone in the face. You are now trying to turn your daughters account of the incident into "verbal/corporal abuse." I get the impression that you are either over reacting or doing your best to win points against other posters in this thread.

Seven year old kids are quite capable of exaggerating too. Have you spoken with the other kids who were allegedly hit by the swimming teacher, or their fathers?

You asked what others thought of this incident, you are getting their thoughts and now you are reacting badly to some of those thoughts. If you don't want other opinions, don't ask.

Mouse, a moderator here has already confirmed that the use of corporal punishment in schools is illegal in Thailand

You originally wrote: After a few minutes of trying to find out what happened, she started to cry and told us that the swimming teacher hit everybody who had no swimsuit 3 times with a metal ruler on the hand palms

What you yourself quote the OP as writing constitute corporal punishment

Edited by MikeyIdea

I get the impression that you are now trying to embellish this story to make it sound more serious and more alarming that what you wrote in your original post.

You originally wrote: After a few minutes of trying to find out what happened, she started to cry and told us that the swimming teacher hit everybody who had no swimsuit 3 times with a metal ruler on the hand palms.

The swimming teacher hit everybody without a swim suit on the palms of their hands. That's a lot different than slapping someone in the face. You are now trying to turn your daughters account of the incident into "verbal/corporal abuse." I get the impression that you are either over reacting or doing your best to win points against other posters in this thread.

Seven year old kids are quite capable of exaggerating too. Have you spoken with the other kids who were allegedly hit by the swimming teacher, or their fathers?

You asked what others thought of this incident, you are getting their thoughts and now you are reacting badly to some of those thoughts. If you don't want other opinions, don't ask.

I just returned from a meeting with the parents of other childs in the same class as my daughter.

The punishments of the swimming teacher grade from hitting the palms of the hands with a metal ruler to slapping the bottom like the "canning" in Singapore with a piece of bamboo.

Almost 2/3th of the class has been the object of corporal abuse by this teacher.

We, the parents of the children, have decided to talk tomorrow to the headmaster about this incident and to see if corporal abuse is allowed or not.

Will keep you informed.

Embellish the story?

Exagerating?

Sure ..........

Pattayaparent - . I mean nothing personal, OK

I agree with Scott

Older students will sometimes outright lie about what happened and why. In my experience with older students, there is a significant amount of physical punishment and the students don't tell their parents because they know they will receive equal or worse treatment at home. This doesn't make it right.

No offence taken Mikey. I was just saying how I was brought up. It's not how I would treat my child.

I reckon if she has been punished at school that's enough, but we have to talk about the reason why so she realises what she did wrong.

Any home punishment is usually no telly or computer.

Perhaps the feeling of being punished, rather than the punishment itself, was more painful to your daughter. After all, you did inspect her hands and didn't see any injury, nor I assume, was there any restriction in her hand movements.

I went to school when the use of the cane was the main means of enforcing compliance to the teachers requirements. I had my fair share of caning across the rump or fingertips and I came out OK. There was always pain but no physical damage.

Unless there is evidence that the teacher is applying too much physical punishment for minor indiscretions, my only reaction would be to explain to your daughter the difficulties that some teachers have in trying to get a whole class full of students to do what is asked of them.

Agree: an when some people beat up your daughter you explain to your 7 YEARS old daugter that they had a difficult youth.

Back to the teacher:

:) THAT IS THERE JOB

You dont need to explain to your daugter that a taxi drive cant drive a car, or a teacher cant controll the students and because off that abused them.

sorry but this is Bull@@@@.

Mouse, a moderator here has already confirmed that the use of corporal punishment in schools is illegal in Thailand
You originally wrote: After a few minutes of trying to find out what happened, she started to cry and told us that the swimming teacher hit everybody who had no swimsuit 3 times with a metal ruler on the hand palms

What you yourself quote the OP as writing constitute corporal punishment

You missed my point. I realize that Thailand has joined many Western countries in outlawing "corporal punishment" in schools. It was introduced despite the pleas of many teachers for it to be retained. But it seemingly is not enforced by any authorities.

The incident originally reported by the OP was probably nothing more than a mild form of discipline, even though it constituted 'corporal punishment.'

The OP, having read some of the replies he received to his original post, has changed his description of the incident and now wants the incident recognized as physical abuse. There is a difference between the two.

In reality, physical abuse is most often caused by unreasonably severe corporal punishment. So you would need to know whether the swimming teachers' disciplinary measures were excessive to constitute abuse. The fact that the daughter cried when describing the incident to her father may have been for show and not necessarily an indication that she was psychologically injured.

As there are no visible marks from the corporal punishments and it is not sure at this moment weither the corporal punishments did take action or not (the word of a few children to the word of a teacher), the headmaster has decided to keep a close eye on this incident and has requested that all the students who don't wish to attend the swimming or other classes with a valable reason, should contact the teacher directly.

A report has been made on this incident.

i'm reading these replys and dont think any of the posters have children. As a parent i can say this with no uncertain terms if my child comes home and tells me he/she has been beaten by anyone at school. I am in my car and at the foot step of whomever touched mychild. I can assure you that after our meeting they will know that to touch my child again will be ot their own personal risk.

We pay the school to have a safe place for our children to learn and to be taught important issues such as responsibility, reliability, accountability if my child fails to comply with a rule tell me i will make sure the deciplin is administered.

I'm with you on this one.

I teach around the OP's daughter's grade.

I don't really understand why hitting with a metal ruler for forgetting to bring (or not bringing) sports equipment is considered "keeping discipline" by some. It is nothing short of wicked abuse of power or venting of dark and deep frustration. Imagine if this kid ends up hating or being scared to death of swimming for all her life. What exactly was the point, what did that metal ruler teach her? That teachers can get away with any shit?

Up to grade 2 or so, I would say it is the parents' responsibility that the kid's homework is completed, there are enough pencils, erasers etc in the pencilcase, swimming gear is prepared, etc. Some kids won't be independent enough until much later. Why does a kid get punished for these things? Well, obviously we cannot yell at the parents.... we can only try to remind them, and also remind and train the children routines to remember stuff.

As I see it, "keeping discipline" means reacting when kids are fighting, acting up, destroying materials or property, yelling in class, etc. I do hit children's hands sometimes - once a monster deliberately ripped a brand new storybook, just for the fun. Also when kids scribble over their peers' drawing, when they don't stop fighting after repeated requests to stop, when they use scissors for fencing, when they try to steal from the snack shop. But.... forgetting to bring something to school??

I would die of shame if I used a metal ruler, whether out of frustration or with a totally cool, focused and deliberate mind. Just my bare hand. And it hurts me just as much as it hurts them. I think otherwise it is not fair.

I actually think physical punishment has its time and place.

On a young girl aged 7 for forgetting her swimming costume that's neither the time nor the place for me. I think it shows more about the inadequacies of the teacher should it be confirmed.

Personally I would explain to my daughter that what she said is serious, and if it's not true then I certainly wouldn't be happy. So she'd first be given the chance to change or confirm her story: That's a serious thing to say. Are you sure? etc. After that I'd check with other parents. Assuming they confirmed I would make an appointment with the headmaster.

If a 7 year old forgets their swimsuit that sounds like a mistake to me, and not something that is naughty or warrants physical punishment. In addition it's probably just as much the fault of the parents.

In this case the school also has a letter saying the child shouldn't go swimming. So if it did happen, then the family and child are owed an apology. The fault lies with the school and it's internal communications. I think my daughter also needs to know that it's not acceptable to do things wrong, and that applies to teachers, schools and frankly everyone. That way she learns right from wrong and learns to speak up. She has my backing if right, but not if wrong. She also learns people need to apologise for mistakes or doing wrong.

On meeting with the headmaster I'd explain the situation and ask for an explanation of what had happened. Also highlighting the letter.

I would insist that the headmaster asked the swimming teacher about the alleged events. He may do that in my presence or privately when I was not there. But I'd insist he was asked and insist I was told of what the teacher said. If he admits it. I expect an apology: 1) definitely because of the letter 2) I think it's inappropriate. 1) is fact 2) is opinion, and we could discuss further, and what action is appropriate. Now if the teacher denies it, there's little can be done at that stage except keep an eye on it. At least the matter has been raised. I would not expect them to say my daughter and the other kids are lying. Nor would I accuse the school of lying. By that we would also have shared views on whether physical punishment is acceptable or not, and for something like forgetting a swimsuit. It would be made quite clear my view.

In all cases I would explain to my daughter the consequences and what happened. i.e we got an apology. We discussed and both decided it was not appropriate to be hit for forgetting your swimming suit and it shouldn't happen again. If it does happen again tell me. Much more important is the lessons learned.

Edited by fletchsmile

I teach around the OP's daughter's grade.

I don't really understand why hitting with a metal ruler for forgetting to bring (or not bringing) sports equipment is considered "keeping discipline" by some. It is nothing short of wicked abuse of power or venting of dark and deep frustration. Imagine if this kid ends up hating or being scared to death of swimming for all her life. What exactly was the point, what did that metal ruler teach her? That teachers can get away with any shit?

Up to grade 2 or so, I would say it is the parents' responsibility that the kid's homework is completed, there are enough pencils, erasers etc in the pencilcase, swimming gear is prepared, etc. Some kids won't be independent enough until much later. Why does a kid get punished for these things? Well, obviously we cannot yell at the parents.... we can only try to remind them, and also remind and train the children routines to remember stuff.

As I see it, "keeping discipline" means reacting when kids are fighting, acting up, destroying materials or property, yelling in class, etc. I do hit children's hands sometimes - once a monster deliberately ripped a brand new storybook, just for the fun. Also when kids scribble over their peers' drawing, when they don't stop fighting after repeated requests to stop, when they use scissors for fencing, when they try to steal from the snack shop. But.... forgetting to bring something to school??

I would die of shame if I used a metal ruler, whether out of frustration or with a totally cool, focused and deliberate mind. Just my bare hand. And it hurts me just as much as it hurts them. I think otherwise it is not fair.

Sounds much more like my kind of teacher, and you'd have my support for giving them a smack in most of these scenarios...if you thought it was appropriate.

Perhaps the feeling of being punished, rather than the punishment itself, was more painful to your daughter. After all, you did inspect her hands and didn't see any injury, nor I assume, was there any restriction in her hand movements.

I went to school when the use of the cane was the main means of enforcing compliance to the teachers requirements. I had my fair share of caning across the rump or fingertips and I came out OK. There was always pain but no physical damage.

Agree: an when some people beat up your daughter you explain to your 7 YEARS old daugter that they had a difficult youth.

Back to the teacher:

:) THAT IS THERE JOB

You dont need to explain to your daugter that a taxi drive cant drive a car, or a teacher cant controll the students and because off that abused them.

sorry but this is Bull@@@@.

Totally agree. Touch my kid and the teacher would certainly be getting a visit from me.

Coalminer

I have had the same feeling you have about my daughter being treated unfairly, much less serious though, I understand how you feel.

I do think that the headmaster will take action (tell him that that you/your wife talked to several other parents about the corporal punishment going on, regardless of if you did or not). I'd not make his life easier by giving him a chance to prepare anything, if you call to check if he's in, don't tell why you want to see him. If you have to make an appointment, just say corporal punishment , they will ask who but do NOT tell which teacher.

It is always good to give the headmaster a way out, an alternative. He will not accept that corporal punishment exists in his school so he will not accept to banish it either, but he may be open to make sure that your child is not hit again. If you're happy or at least satisfied with the school apart from what's happened now, then that is all you need really. It is difficult for Thais to apologise, if you see regret that it happened, then acknowledge it. Best way to ensure a happy ending to the problem is to finish the meeting with the headmaster having created good feelings too, not only negative ones

I'd avoid comments like "I don't care what you do to your own children", they don't help finding a good solution to the problem. Just sharing my experience, I really had to control myself not to say it

Best Regards

Michael

What a crock of shit!!!! always good to give the headmaster a way out???? So sacrificing you kids well being just to make the headmaster save face is your answer is it? "its difficult for Thais to apologise' thats because everyone pussy foots around them and dont put them in a position to make them admit they've made a mistake.

Heres the deal.... "i pay for my daughter/son to get an education here, if you start slapping them around I will make a load of noise, tell other parents and complain to the education ministry, that means you have the potential to lose a shit load of money and maybe earn a bad reputation as a school" then they might do something. Its all about money here, hit them where it hurts.

Whistleblower, if you read the contents of my posts in this thread one more time, then you will see that I condemn corporal punishment and that I give balanced advice to the OP. The advice I give is also based on my own experience when I went to the headmasters’ office in my daughters school.

We have 1 goal; Immediately stop any unfair or hard treatment of my daughter

Private schools take complaints seriously indeed, it is unlikely that going to the headmaster wouldn’t clear the problem. It is also likely that the child would be better treated by all teachers after it

I recommend how to clear problems, not how to clear one problem and create a bunch of new ones

It sounds like you are not satisfied with this. What is your goal?

Whistleblower, if you read the contents of my posts in this thread one more time, then you will see that I condemn corporal punishment and that I give balanced advice to the OP. The advice I give is also based on my own experience when I went to the headmasters' office in my daughters school.

Private schools take complaints seriously indeed, it is unlikely that going to the headmaster wouldn't clear the problem. It is also likely that the child would be better treated by all teachers after it

I recommend how to clear problems, not how to clear one problem and create a bunch of new ones

Anny corporal punishment isn't been used at interntional schools, thats what they telling u by introduction.

They also telling you that you cant get the school fees back, also if they not deliver what has been told.

So sorry but to just tell them "STOP immediately unfair hard treatment of my Daughter" as this is a school policy is crazy, action is needed as they did ones by filming on a mobile phone when a teacher tortured a boy at school.

I would never accept this and would have a go with the responsible teacher and get some publicity on this kind off issues.

Whistleblower, if you read the contents of my posts in this thread one more time, then you will see that I condemn corporal punishment and that I give balanced advice to the OP. The advice I give is also based on my own experience when I went to the headmasters' office in my daughters school.

Private schools take complaints seriously indeed, it is unlikely that going to the headmaster wouldn't clear the problem. It is also likely that the child would be better treated by all teachers after it

Sorry for the late reply. Christmas.

You state in your post that your daughter is in a private school, yet you seem to go down the 'lets not make anyone lose face' road. we all know the Thais will do whatever they want as long as they are not held accountable for their actions. Your way gives the headmaster a way out. I would punch the teacher concerned then walk to the headmasters office and invite him to call the police. I bet he wouldnt!!!. NEVER compromise when it comes to your childs well being/safety.

As for your comment about the child being treated better by the teachers after it, I can only say that in any school all students should be treated well, nutured and looked after.

Sorry for the late reply. Christmas.

You state in your post that your daughter is in a private school, yet you seem to go down the 'lets not make anyone lose face' road. we all know the Thais will do whatever they want as long as they are not held accountable for their actions. Your way gives the headmaster a way out. I would punch the teacher concerned then walk to the headmasters office and invite him to call the police. I bet he wouldnt!!!. NEVER compromise when it comes to your childs well being/safety.

As for your comment about the child being treated better by the teachers after it, I can only say that in any school all students should be treated well, nutured and looked after.

I don't think punching the teacher would help. And taking it out on the child is maybe what many teachers would do.

Which school would you send your child to the next day? :)

Good leave your children at the same school and let them be abused by teachers as you cant find another/better school for them.

So you agree with the poster who would punch the teacher of your daughter. What would your goal with doing that be? :D

Edited by MikeyIdea

i'm reading these replys and dont think any of the posters have children. As a parent i can say this with no uncertain terms if my child comes home and tells me he/she has been beaten by anyone at school. I am in my car and at the foot step of whomever touched mychild. I can assure you that after our meeting they will know that to touch my child again will be ot their own personal risk.

We pay the school to have a safe place for our children to learn and to be taught important issues such as responsibility, reliability, accountability if my child fails to comply with a rule tell me i will make sure the deciplin is administered.

I entirely agree with this, I would do exactly the same.

I entirely agree with this, I would do exactly the same.

I am not condoning bullying a child and neither are most posters here from what I have read. But threatening revenge is not the answer, deal with it properly politely calmly and legally. Threaten a Thai and you or your child could be taking the consequences of your action.

Threaten a Thai and you or your child could be taking the consequences of your action.

I totally agree with caf on this

Maximum jail sentence for aggravated assault in Thailand is 3 years in jail if I remember right. Of course the parent wouldn't get anywhere near that, probably no more than 3 months, but still, aggravated assault is a Criminal offence and a westerner will, according to law, be made persona non grata and have to leave the country after sitting out the jail term. I am a parent so I think about my child first of all, myself second. I cannot see how having my daughter visiting me in jail, and then having to see his daddy leave her because work permit and visa is withdrawn would be good for her. Having daddy sitting in jail for a criminal offense is also a perfectly valid reason for a mother to sue for sole custody in Thailand. Perhaps someone can enlighten me

Again, can someone please tell me what the goal of a parent committing aggravated assault on the teacher who illegally used a metal ruler to smack a pupils hand would be

I am not condoning bullying a child and neither are most posters here from what I have read. But threatening revenge is not the answer, deal with it properly politely calmly and legally. Threaten a Thai and you or your child could be taking the consequences of your action.

That's the main reason which withhold me from going further in this case.

The Headmaster of the English Program has made a warning to the concerned teacher amd promessed to follow this case closely.

As we went to the headmaster with a group of other parents, nobody will take only one child for "revenge".

But if the case would be repeated, and I make an "official complaint", where will I put my child to school after that?

There are not too much schools with a decent English Program and I don't have the intention to take my daughter back to Europe now.

They are pulling the strings and whatever grudge I would have against a teacher, there is very little I can do.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi coalminer, can you please let us know what has happened since you talked to the school?

I was surprised when I read the OP, to hear that smacking still goes on in modern schools in Thailand. Thought things had moved on from those days. When I was a kid in Thailand (oooh, some 30+ years ago), I went to one of the top girls convent schools, and of course that kind of thing was the norm. The "nice" teachers smacked you, the "scary" teachers smacked you, the senior janitor lady smacked you, and from personal memory, the worst was when the nuns smacked you .... One of our most respected second grade teachers had a big thick transparent perspex meter-ruler that she used to keep on her desk to smack you with. I dreaded getting in to trouble with her the most of course, but more becuase she was an aunt, and my god, the shame of it when the reports got back to my mum!

My memory of that convent school was one long string of threats, punishments and smackings. I am sure there were good times too, if I think really hard, and I was one of the "good" quiet little mouse kids! The thing is, at the time, we ALL found it quite normal. Okay, some times, it went over the top, and my mum did march into school to complain because I really freaked out. Like that time - grade 1, I think - the teacher told the whole class that if we didn't do whatever-it-was she would cut out heads off and leave them out to dry in the mid day sun, on the basckeball court. Or the time we sat and watched a bunch of secondary school girls who were made to sit in public and get their hair cut deliberately wonky by some nuns with big scissors because they did not comply with the rule that hair longer than your collar had to be tied up or braided. Or the time I was nearly suspended from school for coming in with my brand new pride and joy French style sophisticated brown leather school satchel that my British grandma had sent for my birthday. It didn't comply with uniform regulations, you see. But as I say, those were the exceptions. Mum didn't really like marching into school for these things - she really wasn't one for confrontations and all that.

Actually, come to think of it, some of the punishments were quite funny at the time, nothing like the boring old 200 lines and 5 laps around the sports field like we got later at my secondary school in the UK. No, no, we had things like the whole class waddeling like ducks around the field in the middle of the school buildings (maximum shame), or the whole class standing on their chairs on one leg, arms outstretched, rulers in mouths for talking too much. I don't know what would have happeded if anyone actually fell off. My mom didn't think most of it was such a big deal. After all, it was all supposedly much stricter when she attended the same school a generation earlier. My western dad used to get pretty upset by it all, but was usually persuaded that it was just the way things were done around here.

Believe it or not, despite everything I have recounted, I look back at my time in that school with great fondness. I had great friends there, and yes, the teachers were scary some times, but we did not know any different. As I said, we all found it really quite normal.

Doesn't mak it right though, does it? So it is great to have parents like you with a diffetent point of view to speak up for things like that. Maybe the swimming teacher is a complete psycho. Maybe not. Maybe he is just a product of the old school of teaching, and doesn't know a better way. In any case, it should have been discussed it with the school. Some times, despite tradition, despite culture, despite kreng-jai, wai-na, and all that point of view mentioned here, some things really should not be accepted blindly.

As a foot note, when my younger brother later went into the corresponding boys convent school, I came to realize that our treatment by the nuns and female teachers was indeed quite "soft" in comparison. It was a good and coveted school, very difficult to get in, so I think that many parents who objected didn't want to complain too much in case their child got kicked out or something. In any case, by half way through my brother's third grade, my dad couldn't tolerate it any more, and pulled us both out of the system. Fortunately, we had that choice.

Edited by Ananke