Internet In Chiang Mai. We've Heard The Complaints, But What……

Drew Aitch

I just got the AIS 3G system and I'm very impressed. A wireless router cost me 4,900B (but you can get a usb stick cheaper).

I've just looked at their website and and the tiny USB device costs 3,290 Baht. I've never seen a USB device so expensive. One assumes it must be packed with miniaturised state of the art costly technology at that price.

I currently have unlimited usage with TRUE internet for just over 800 THB/Mo. Installation, including cable to room and modem, was free. The AIS 3G not only costs an arm and a leg when compared to TRUE, but it has limits on Bandwidth too. Let's hope it's worth it :) Stay tuned for a report at the end of Feb.

Aitch

Yes, it's expensive. But considering the lack of competition in the 3G space, I'd say AIS is relatively generous because they can probably get away with a higher charge than that. Their monthly rates are about 35% (?) lower than Maxnet Premier (or whatever the service is called this week) so in my case, I'd make up this outlay in less than a year.

I'd go for the USB stick as it'll give true mobile internet.

I'm considering a changeover to AIS but will await your report. I'll be interested to know what the data limit is and how fast the 3G USB stick drains your laptop's battery.

Seriously? 3300 Baht for a USB "3G modem" is probably the cheapest you can get in the world! Telcos in Australia are selling these for $299.

Yes, but doesn't Australia have one of the developed worlds poorest internet infrastructures? This would account for high prices as it is only with availability in services and choices that brings costs down in a capitalist society.

These super 3G USB Modem Stick are often given away for free when signing up with an ISP in the UK and Europe, and at the end of the day, anyone wanting reliable internet access 365 days a year usually signs up to a contact anyway.

Aitch

But the BIG difference is that you have no contractual obligation with the telco whatsoever. That's a big plus! ISPs in the UK and Europe will lock you for at least 12 months before giving the modem to you for free.

But the BIG difference is that you have no contractual obligation with the telco whatsoever. That's a big plus! ISPs in the UK and Europe will lock you for at least 12 months before giving the modem to you for free.

You're right in what you say infernalman7. The 'free' means 'fee' as you will have to sign up to at least a 12 month contract. But to be honest, most of us know now what a good deal is with regards to ISP service, speed, and the continuity of such (outside Thailand anyway). And for most, internet is not something that they will only be using for a few weeks of the year, meaning it's part of most people's monthly expenditure anyway.

For most, consistently good speed, a minimum of down time, and a reasonable cost will see most folks as happy campers, and so why would anyone want to leave that and hop from one service to another just to save a couple of quid from some latest promotion. I signed a 12 month contract with TRUE here in CM in exchange for free installation (which included 100M of cable to the room), and i couldn't have been happier with the service. I'd sign another 12 month contact with them in a heart beat if it was available in all locations.

So in the twenty first century, signing a 12 month contract is no big deal, unless of course you're someone constantly on the move, in which case it might be better be free of localised contracts :)

Cheers

Aitch

Strange enough my True doesn't have the contract ... both the 16Mbps ADSL and the 30Mbps cable...

From a marketeer point of view, contract is a new innovation to compete in today's economy, it is an innovation where companies do not have to lose out from price wars and it also guarantees the income stream as well. This is why many of the Western telcos love contracts.

On the other hand, Thailand, a country where price-war is still on-going with constant price war and changes to the subscribing plans, I think the strategy to not have contract is suitable. Especially for a new technology 3G with new providers like AIS 3G, TOT 3G. I wouldn't want to lock myself into a service that I don't know stable or not. Doesn't really matter how good a service is, you never know whether you will live in a blind spot or not. (Like me in Australia, locked into 24 month contract but no service just at the place I'm staying)

3000 baht is not a lot for the device, given that your yearly subscribing fee isn't much more than that either. On the other hand, in the UK and Europe, the subscribing fee for a month can already afford the device. I don't see how this 3000 baht is expensive at all.

3000 baht is not a lot for the device, given that your yearly subscribing fee isn't much more than that either.

Ugh! I'm probably reading this wrong, but are you saying that after buying the device for 3,290 Baht there's an additional 3,000 Baht to subscribe to the service? And to think we haven't even started paying for the limited internet usage yet! Hmm!, i might have to rethink this one, but shall pop down to their office and see what's what first. Currently i pay a total of 9,624 Baht a year for TRUE which is fast, consistent, and 'unlimited'.

Aitch

• 3 weeks later...

hey, I'm looking to move somewhere near the university (Nimanhemin Rd.)where I will be taking some language classes. I work online and I need a stable internet connection, does anyone know if AIS 3g is available in that area and if it fits the bill? ie is the internet connection consistent enough to play an online videogame internationally? Ping doesn't have to be great, but the connection must be solid.

It looks like my only other option would be True?

Also offhand does anyone recommend an apartment in that area for 4-8k baht/month?

Thanks

I'll give a +1 for TRUE being a solid connection. Just got up and running last week, but I've been really impressed with how consistent it's been even during peak times.

1. TRUE (DSL)

2. Santitham, Chang Puak

3. 900+tax for 4MB/1MB, includes a wireless modem/router

4. I work online, so it's used from morning to night