Dim Sum

anonymouse

WJ, Thanks for recommending So-You. Really good. Was there tonight with my wife. I can't compare it to the expensive places in CM mentioned above but it compares favorably to mid-priced dim sum in NY and HK, especially when you take cost into account. Most of the dishes at So-You are 35 baht. We tried 8 different dishes. All were good to excellent.

Now, what happened to the request for a separate food sub-forum? At least 7 of the threads on the first page are food threads.

Have been in CM for 3 months and been trying to find a decent Dim Sim place that is half decent compared to HK or even London. Have to say, been hugely disappointed each time. Had high hopes for "So you" after some comments here, and probaly best value for the money, but I would just about call it passable as dim sum. Certainly would not go as far as to say its really good ! To compare it to the mid-price places in HK is stretching anyones tastebuds after having lived there for 9 years. I have sadly come to the conclusion there are no good Dim Sum chefs in CM simply because they can't pay a decent one enough to come over from HK. They say in HK they are revered much higher than normal chefs with higher salaries. Pity :) CM has some great food going for it but sadly authentic DimSim isnt one of them yet.

WJ, Thanks for recommending So-You. Really good. Was there tonight with my wife. I can't compare it to the expensive places in CM mentioned above but it compares favorably to mid-priced dim sum in NY and HK, especially when you take cost into account. Most of the dishes at So-You are 35 baht. We tried 8 different dishes. All were good to excellent.

Now, what happened to the request for a separate food sub-forum? At least 7 of the threads on the first page are food threads.

Have been in CM for 3 months and been trying to find a decent Dim Sim place that is half decent compared to HK or even London. Have to say, been hugely disappointed each time. Had high hopes for "So you" after some comments here, and probaly best value for the money, but I would just about call it passable as dim sum. Certainly would not go as far as to say its really good ! To compare it to the mid-price places in HK is stretching anyones tastebuds after having lived there for 9 years. I have sadly come to the conclusion there are no good Dim Sum chefs in CM simply because they can't pay a decent one enough to come over from HK. They say in HK they are revered much higher than normal chefs with higher salaries. Pity :) CM has some great food going for it but sadly authentic DimSim isnt one of them yet.

Hi Sandy,

Did you try the Fujian restaurant at the Mandarin, thats about the best in town IMHO. Its also the most expensive. Service takes a bit of a battering when there is a coach load of tourists in though.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Hi Sandy,

Did you try the Fujian restaurant at the Mandarin, thats about the best in town IMHO. Its also the most expensive. Service takes a bit of a battering when there is a coach load of tourists in though.

Not tried the Mandarin yet but at those prices, I guess my expectations would have to be sky high. Be nice to know where the chef is from or where he learned his trade before hand ! Duangtawan dimsum experience was a culinary disaster especially at the price, apart from the nice views.

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it ! :)

Less costly, and with a nice view towards Doi Suthep, was the restaurant on top of the Duangtawan Hotel, sorry but I forget the prices (it was a year ago) , only remember the meal being very pleasant. :D

I think this restaurant ha sthe best views in Chiang Mai, but I felt that the Dim Sum was only middling to say the least.

i found the dim sum at Duangtawan of poor quality and when i was there they didn't even have the dim sum carts.

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it ! :)

Less costly, and with a nice view towards Doi Suthep, was the restaurant on top of the Duangtawan Hotel, sorry but I forget the prices (it was a year ago) , only remember the meal being very pleasant. :D

I think this restaurant ha sthe best views in Chiang Mai, but I felt that the Dim Sum was only middling to say the least.

i found the dim sum at Duangtawan of poor quality and when i was there they didn't even have the dim sum carts.

I don't think there is any dim sum cart service anywhere in Chiangmai. Anyone?

• 1 year later...

Hi Sandy,

Not tried the Mandarin yet but at those prices, I guess my expectations would have to be sky high. Be nice to know where the chef is from or where he learned his trade before hand ! Duangtawan dimsum experience was a culinary disaster especially at the price, apart from the nice views.

After reading the posts here I finally went to the Fujian at the Mandarin Oriental. It's definitely the best that I've had in Chiang Mai but considering that most of the dim sum I've had here would be turned down by a dog in HK this is probably not saying much. The Fujian probably gets about a 4/10 compared to Dim Sum in HK or even Australia but if I was desperate for this type of food I'd go there again. The restaurant has a great atmosphere but not many people seem to eat there (strange because when I called up to see if I needed to book they told me that they only had 1 table left. They probably only had 4 tables of people out of 25 or more tables available). The service is also good. 600 Baht for the buffet and a free flow of green tea.