Should I Sell My Share Of House

Looking for a little advice here, 5 years ago a friend and I had a house built off plan in Samui. It cost around 54k pounds between the two of us at the time and now with upgrades etc I have prob put in around 30k of my own money. It is a two bedroom villa in a gated community with great sea views over chaweng.

Now my problem is I am hardly over here enough now to justify having a place so its more for investment purposes. My friend is over quite a bit as it fits in well with his line of work so even renting the place out is a non starter.

With our shell company anuall fees, Maintanence fees etc It makes me wonder if its worth having. I know someone who could be willing to buy me out with 30k which as I said is around what I have put in.

Should I sell or is it worth holding onto and maybe selling for much more in years to come??

• 1 month later...

I would think your best bet would be to sell it to the partner. I very much doubt anybody else would be willing to buy into it. The other option would be to sell it, split the money and let your partner buy another property alone. Saying that if the money is not needed then just hang on to it as properties are moving very slow at the moment here on Samui. Good luck

Is the OP saying that the house he built 5 years ago is worth no more now than then ? I would have though it was worth substancially more now, even after a fall in value. However, it has no value to anyone other than his other half.

Unless the prospective buyer plans on making more use of the house than the current owner does.

Brigante7.

You may want to consider that the housing price index for a single detached house stood at 149.2 at the end of the 1st quarter of 2005. At the end of 3rd quarter 2009 which is the latest update, the same index stood at 107.2. For some reason, the update for the 4th quarter of 2009 had been delayed suggesting bad news. You might want to wait for the index to rise. Right now, you have bought near the top and are selling near the bottom. This would not normally be considered a sound investment management strategy. The data is put out by the Bank of Thailand and the link is provided below. But, this may work out for you, somebody may just love your house and want your share of it now.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistics/Ec...Indicators.aspx