Cbr250 Test Drive

wjmark

Nice bike. I would of been interested 3 months ago, but went for a 3 yr old cbr 150. The price difference between a 3 yr old 150, and a soon to be 18 year old 250 is too surreal.

Can probably get a 1 year old cbr 150 for the same price, and I don't fancy having a 23 year old old bike in 5 years time.

They are bloody good fun to ride though. Good luck to it and its next owner.

I'd have to agree, and after lots of good reading on this forum I decided to go for the 150 cbr, but........

I did see this bike before, but being in BKK thought it was way to far for a test ride.

Now I've read this thread, and watched the you tube vid (being a sucker for that 4 cylinder scream, and coming from my 750 gsxr in Oz), I am now not sure. The age of the bike does concern me a little for resale, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Yep, I'm a sucker for that scream as well! I would be very interested in that bike if it was taller for me, but it would be cramped for my height. The age of the bike would not be a concern to me at all. It would be a fun bike in Northern Thailand for sure. Ah sigh.... back to my 150 Thumper.......

Looks and sounds like a good bike for someone.

It's a real shame that the big 4 don't seem interested in 250 and 400 cc 4 cylinder bikes now, an updated (FI) VFR400 engine in a modern chassis would be awesome for Thailand.

Problem was, as awesome as those bikes were, they were also very expensive and as a result didn't sell very well...

I'm good for 30,000. Cash ready. :)

Don't be insulting.

If you look at them listed on mocy in Thai its not that insulting for a fast sale, saw one under 40 on there.. sure its a lowball but thats the thing with fast sales when people are leaving, rock and hard place.

I would take sub 50 on a 400..

Nice bike. I would of been interested 3 months ago, but went for a 3 yr old cbr 150. The price difference between a 3 yr old 150, and a soon to be 18 year old 250 is too surreal.

Can probably get a 1 year old cbr 150 for the same price, and I don't fancy having a 23 year old old bike in 5 years time.

I'd have to agree, and after lots of good reading on this forum I decided to go for the 150 cbr, but........

I did see this bike before, but being in BKK thought it was way to far for a test ride.

Now I've read this thread, and watched the you tube vid (being a sucker for that 4 cylinder scream, and coming from my 750 gsxr in Oz), I am now not sure. The age of the bike does concern me a little for resale, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coming home this evening I (on my CBR150) was stoped at lights beside a late model 1 litre bike. I took off at my usual pace, fast but not screwing the bike. I heard him up the revs, so did the same...he drew equal at 80kph and of course left me in the dust after that.....doing an estimated 130 or so. But each time we came to traffic the nimble little CBR passed him!!! After 30km I was still in front.

You would find the CBR150 MUCH more suited and easier to drive in Bkk traffic than the CBR 250 defiantely. Open road, completely oppposite situation. I came very close to buying a CBR250 but the age, and less manouvability made me realise the 150 was still a better bet for me.

On Canal road today I did three runs against a new Kawasaki Er6n - took him all three times up to about 100k.

We stopped and chatted - German tourist - had his license only a year, and the bike was a rental, but all the same my revs over his torque took the day.

(Of course, his bike still had the stickers on, so that might have made the difference).

Coming home this evening I (on my CBR150) was stoped at lights beside a late model 1 litre bike. I took off at my usual pace, fast but not screwing the bike. I heard him up the revs, so did the same...he drew equal at 80kph and of course left me in the dust after that.....doing an estimated 130 or so. But each time we came to traffic the nimble little CBR passed him!!! After 30km I was still in front.

You would find the CBR150 MUCH more suited and easier to drive in Bkk traffic than the CBR 250 defiantely. Open road, completely oppposite situation. I came very close to buying a CBR250 but the age, and less manouvability made me realise the 150 was still a better bet for me.

I would agree in BKK traffic, but plan to do a few trips 2up, and don't think it would be more than a good laugh on a cbr 150. The 250 would make the open road more enjoyable.....besides i could take it down the track now and again hehe...

On Canal road today I did three runs against a new Kawasaki Er6n - took him all three times up to about 100k.

We stopped and chatted - German tourist - had his license only a year, and the bike was a rental, but all the same my revs over his torque took the day.

(Of course, his bike still had the stickers on, so that might have made the difference).

So your saying that some novice rider, on an unfamiliar machine, rented.. And you just managed to spark of the line faster.. PLEASE !!

Ridden properly.. the 250 will spank the 150.. the 650 will spank the 150 (I really dont know about the 250 tho !!)..

So your saying that some novice rider, on an unfamiliar machine, rented.. And you just managed to spark of the line faster.. PLEASE !!

Yup - that's exactly what I am saying! It was fun!

But on a more realistic note, my 150 is definitely faster than the Tiger250 on the straight. My buddy who owns one (and is no novice - and actually a little crazy and very competative!) couldn't beat me - even when he got off the line faster. He figures he would have me in the mountains with his torque, but I am not going to race anybody in the mountains - I am a novice myself. That's why I didn't buy the 250...

my CBR150 (which is now proudly 166cc and boasts about 23hp!!!).

I wondering what you did to a CBR150 to get it from 16hp to 23hp? Or is this a guess at 23hp which could really be 17hp?

Sorry - doesn't Honda advertise 17hp?

I always thought having a bigger piston gave more power?

And other stuff:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Mo...-a-Honda-CBR150

http://www.faddybike.com/static/10006c.jpg

http://www.faddybike.com/static/70004c.jpg

And subjectively, it now pulls out of switchbacks in second gear that I used to have to downshift for.

So my guess is that I have more than 17hp

Oh yes, I removed all the stickers. I know that it doesn't increase horsepower, but it does make it faster.

So you did a bore kit, larger piston, air box/carby mods and a exhaust system. It would be interesting to know what real impact that had on HP for your bike, also I wasnt trying to be smart aboutthe Honda, I thought they were 16hp, but will accept they are 17hp on ur word.

Yesterday I saw a Honda Sonic 125 (which had been bored out) & had about 100k worth of mods all up, it actually haulled arse. I'm a Honda fan, I actaully have a few Honda parts on my Suzuki :) .

Also interestingly, my mates Suzuki Raider 150, is still 150cc but with numerous mods, some of which Im not even sure about and its producing 29hp. After riding it I felt surprised it wasnt over 30hp, its top speed is a true 162km/h (of course there would be further speed to acheive by playing with sprokets but only at the expense of performance), theres no doubt that a bore kit & cams etc would increase the performance on that.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I like playing with these little bikes, just for a laugh.

I'm really considering buying this 250.

One question.....

Would there be any problems I may encounter buying a bike registered in Chang mai, then bringing back to BKK. Would it just be a case of simply changing it to my name and address when I get back.?

This is the 1st bike I'm buying here so would really appreciate any advise

Ok i have a few questions.

1) what tyres are they, and what sizes?

2) what chain did you use standard or o-ring, 428 or 520?

3) what are the sprocket size's (teeth)?

4) bigger battery, what size?

5) what filters were changed and what brand used?

Thanks Allan

hey allan, rear tire is an IRC and the size is 160. the fron is a dunlop and probably around 120.

the chain is a 525 o-ring chain.

filters: oil, and air filters.

how many teeth on the sprocket? i dont know but i can count them for you if you really need to know. / find out the size form my mechanic.

do not remember the battery size. i just know its bigger. or should i say more powerful. i replaced it just as i got the bike, and honestly cannot remember the power difference.

i have all the receipts from work done to my bike. they are in thai, so if you can read thai you can understand them. if not, then theyre just papers with a bunch of symbols and prices on them :)

if someone wants to speak to my mechanic to confirm anything about my bike. please feel free. as well as take it to the mechanic of your choice.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Umm interesting. I do wish people would check the correct tyre fitments etc for bikes and not just rely on the Thai mechanics. 160 IRC's on a Cbr250rr (150 is what it should be, with a 110 on the front). Thats just crazy. sticky rubber is what ya need on a cbr250 not IRC teflon rubber. Also 525 sprocket/chain conversion, it would be interesting to know what sprockets the Thai mech used. as far as i'm aware only 520's are available as a direct replacement (and then you have to do a bit of searching to get the correct fitment)

Ok i have a few questions.

1) what tyres are they, and what sizes?

2) what chain did you use standard or o-ring, 428 or 520?

3) what are the sprocket size's (teeth)?

4) bigger battery, what size?

5) what filters were changed and what brand used?

Thanks Allan

hey allan, rear tire is an IRC and the size is 160. the fron is a dunlop and probably around 120.

the chain is a 525 o-ring chain.

filters: oil, and air filters.

how many teeth on the sprocket? i dont know but i can count them for you if you really need to know. / find out the size form my mechanic.

do not remember the battery size. i just know its bigger. or should i say more powerful. i replaced it just as i got the bike, and honestly cannot remember the power difference.

i have all the receipts from work done to my bike. they are in thai, so if you can read thai you can understand them. if not, then theyre just papers with a bunch of symbols and prices on them :)

if someone wants to speak to my mechanic to confirm anything about my bike. please feel free. as well as take it to the mechanic of your choice.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Umm interesting. I do wish people would check the correct tyre fitments etc for bikes and not just rely on the Thai mechanics. 160 IRC's on a Cbr250rr (150 is what it should be, with a 110 on the front). Thats just crazy. sticky rubber is what ya need on a cbr250 not IRC teflon rubber. Also 525 sprocket/chain conversion, it would be interesting to know what sprockets the Thai mech used. as far as i'm aware only 520's are available as a direct replacement (and then you have to do a bit of searching to get the correct fitment)

hey man, i just looked the tires. it is actually 150 rear and 110 front. as u can see im not a mechanic, but my mechanic is one, and knows what he's doing :D his shop is full od cbr's, vfr's, and nsr250's and what ever else :D

the chain is 525....there are even 530 chains. i dont know what he did or how he did it. but it works great, and the bike drives much better with this chain as opposed to the original one. and he has many chains in stock. no searching needed.

IRC may not be the best tire out there, but it is very good, and makes me happy, as well as anyone who has test driven my bike. and im sure they would be good for the track too.

35,000 for my 250 is way too low. anyone who sees / seen the bike knows its worth more than that, and face to face you would hide your tale between your legs when you come to realize that this bike is in better condition than your cbr150 that only has 15,000 km's on it :D, and would just admit that you cannot affor this already not-so-expensive motorcycle. im not being hostile by saying this in any means, its all cool to be said here on the forum...id probably throw a "35,000 baht offer" comment as well out there, even though i wasnt even looking to buy a bike, but gave it ago anyway, because u all know thats way to low of a price.

ive looked at a few cbr150's for sale, and every single one of them, other than mr mark's (wjmark) were in questionable condition. none of which had more than 20k km's and the body made it look as if the bike was driven through a war zone, and then taken to work at a construction site or something. mark's bike is mint looking, and sounds sweet. i dont know how you can make a bike with only 20,000kms look so used and old.

anyhow my 250 has 52,000 klicks....and it looks allllmost like new :D so somebody buy it, and enjoy 18,500 rpms for furry.

-Dan

Ive been 'around' the bike game for a few weeks now, nothings really changed in that time Dan, the bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You may want 50 or 60k baht, but this market is telling you otherwise. I wasnt saying throw 35 at it to be disrespectful or anything like that, however, there is one poster here that said he had 30k in cash ready to go and assuming you didnt respond to his offer privately I was merely trying to suggest he was a little bit low. The problem you seem to be having is TIME-Verses PRICE & the clock is ticking.

Your bike is neat and tidy, for a near 20 year old bike, that being its biggest enemy, its age. You are definately right about some things though and the fact that these bikes are a hoot to ride is one of them.

35,000 for my 250 is way too low. anyone who sees / seen the bike knows its worth more than that, and face to face you would hide your tale between your legs when you come to realize that this bike is in better condition than your cbr150 that only has 15,000 km's on it :), and would just admit that you cannot affor this already not-so-expensive motorcycle. im not being hostile by saying this in any means, its all cool to be said here on the forum...id probably throw a "35,000 baht offer" comment as well out there, even though i wasnt even looking to buy a bike, but gave it ago anyway, because u all know thats way to low of a price.

What does valuing a couple of year old CBR (with a full dealer support and parts supply chain) have to do with valueing a 15+ year old grey import ??

This is a prime example of the 2 level market between farangs and Thais.. I wont post them as I think its unfair but a 2 min search on mocyc has a bundle of CBR250's in the 30's range.. One especially clean looking one (as clean as the images of your own) at an asking price of 39. Theres even a streetfightered old one for 19k asking..

So what you think is 'way too low' is pretty much market value on the Thai language sites. When you want to sell in a hurry the trick is to be under market value, leaving bikes in storage is a recipe for costs and ongoing problems, old bikes dont like to be sat up for periods, having the same issue now with my unused bike.. if it was really 'way too low' you would have a buyer who would resell it and make a profit.

Not being nasty, I wish you the best of success.. But from an asking price of 50, if someone offered me 35k days before I was leaving, I would pull his arm off.

I was offered a 1994 cbr 250 for 30,000 when living in Isaan by a roadside mechanic/shop. Had seen it around and knew the previous owner and know it was in good condition. Didn't have the new paint job that this one does though. Should of taken it really.

And yes, I view the price of this one too high due to the age, but would still like to have it for some fun.

Didn't have the new paint job that this one does though. Should of taken it really.

And yes, I view the price of this one too high due to the age, but would still like to have it for some fun.

I emailed an enquired about that bike a few weeks ago, asking a few basic questions and included the comment that it was a shame the re-paint wasn't in origonal colours.

I got a 3 word reply.............You're a wanke_r

Some sales pitch....Not. Needless to say I didnt follow up with it.

I had a couple of cbr 400's a rvf 400 and a vfr 400, all bought in Bangkok 10-15 years ago with green books, all were mint and the most I paid was 44k, wish now I had kept them as the asking prices of today means it is about the only thing I know of over here that has appreciated in price over the years. Amazing.

Another bike for sale at an obscene price? See that all the time.

Just clicked on bahtsold.com. A vfr400 that was for sale 6 months ago for 85k (which had been sitting in a pattaya garage for 6 months previously as the German owner had gone home). Is back up and now advertised at 120k. :)

OBO of course.