Cbr250 Test Drive

wjmark

I have owned some bikes in the past, but nothing particularly sporty.

I currently own a slightly beefed up CBR150 which I love. So when I saw the price drop on the CBR250 on Thaivisa Bikes-For-Sale, I was curious.

Yesterday I went down and met the owner, Dan. Nice guy (Canadian!).

I wasn't planning on taking it for a test drive - I just wanted to see how it felt sitting on it. But Dan was very accommodating and let me take it for a good spin.

Firstly, it is a 4 cylinder and has that beautiful smoothness of a 4-cyl bike. Second it redlines at 18,000 rpm (pretty fast!). Thirdly, it is only about 25 kilos heavier than my 150, and has double the horsepower - 45hp to be precise.

The bike seems in good shape and is certainly straight and true. I'm no mechanic, but it seemed to be everything it should be. Bike has 50k on it, and Wikipedia says they are good for 100k.

So what did I think?

Lovely bike. More extreme riding position than my 150 - almost lying down on the tank. Seat is very low - fantastic for shorties like me. The fatter tires are great - can really hug the road. The sound above about 9,000rpm is amazing, and that is also where the power band really takes off. I felt quite comfortable on it, but being a full-on sports bike, one has to ride it rather aggressively.

I zipped around the city a bit, and it is pretty good in traffic (handlebars are about 2 inches wider than my 150). On the highway it was a dream - light and very fast.

120k/hr felt real, as opposed to the 10% error on my 150's speedo.

150k/hr was too easy to hit!

So, nice bike, good condition, light, small, fast, insured with plate - why didn't I buy it?

Basically it scared me!

I ride my 150 like an asshol_e - pounding it all the time - right up to redline and sometimes beyond.

And the 150 takes me around the city easily and on the highway at 120-130 no problem.

The CBR250 doesn't really open up until you hit 100k/hr, and then you just keep going.

I am not a good enough rider to be howling around Thailand at 140-150 all the time, and the bike really wants that!

So why am I writing this?

The bike seems like a hel_l of a great deal (check with a mechanic first), and I am sure that there are better riders than me around who could appreciate 45 hp more than me.

So, I guess I am just saying if you are looking for a super fast bike for a good price, check it out. Dan leaves in a couple of weeks.

DISCLAIMER - I don't know Dan. I am not involved in the sale. I am getting no commission. I am just a nice guy passing on some interesting information!

If i had the spare money i would buy it in a heart beat. I still miss my old one.

And yes you are correct. perfect for out of town, <deleted> around town. Up in the bendy bits of Chiang Mai it would be fantastic (with the correct rubber, don't skimp. These need sticky rubber like Dunlop Alpha 10's or similar).

Most service parts(oil filters, brake pads etc) you can get here in Thailand with no problems. You can get spares direct from numerous internet companies and can still source 2nd hand spares from Japan, engines etc.

Check www.cbr250.com for extensive info on these bikes.

Allan

pS dave boo. i thought you wanted one of these?

Most service parts(oil filters, brake pads etc) you can get here in Thailand with no problems. You can get spares direct from numerous internet companies and can still source 2nd hand spares from Japan, engines etc.

Check www.cbr250.com for extensive info on these bikes.

Allan

pS dave boo. i thought you wanted one of these?

dam_n-it, dam_n-it, dam_n-it...I'm still overseas...and last cbr250 I sent the wife to look at she turned her nose down on...if only I was there. :)

Sounds like a decent bike with good HP, however I don't think extra power is necessarily dangerous, it can be safer for overtaking and escaping bunched up traffic. The extra weight makes it more stable. It sounds like a very safe bike, definitely more so than a 2T step thru or 150.

thanks for this post Mark. im glad u liked the bike.

please if anyone is interested in the bike contact me ASAP i am leaving to canada next week.

the bike is very fast, and in rediculousely good shape. with a new fairing it is MINT.

thanks a lot and hope to find a new home for my 250rr. i will miss this bike dearly, and it will make someone very very happy.

Mark... Buy it and then come over to my place just so I can hear it. Always love the sound of a four cylinder Honda! And you are right that they are a tighter fit for a tall guy. Buy the thing..... you will enjoy it.

^Yeah thanks, I just saw it. Hes gone from 60k down to 50k, bike looks neat enuf for its age, sadly I dont think time is on his side, somebody needs to make an offer & pick up a cheap ride, pity the OP can't take ti home with him.

ps: I rang a guy I know about it but hes looking for a CBR400, so can't help sorry.

Dave.. You would be too big for a CBR250 surely..

Great bikes and ideal if 5 10 or under.. Proper little howlers.

I'm under 5' 10"...and if the Ninja can haul my fat arse around I'm sure that a Honda would have no problems at all...

As much as I would love to take the gentleman's word as far as condition, without having someone I know check it out/pick it up, I just can not drop the coin on it in good faith...

Hi again.

---

First - Mixed said " I don't think extra power is necessarily dangerous".

Well sure - that's why I want more! But this isn't simple 'extra power'. This is full on instant 45 hp when you are cruising at 10,000 rpm. Bang - 45hp right up to 18k. 18,000rpm 18,000rpm

It is a racing machine. It was so fast that Japan limited it to 40hp two years later. This extra power IS dangerous!

If you are just cruising around at 6,000rpm then it is just a small bike running on 4 little 60cc cylinders. It is smooth, but gutless. To use power to get out of a situation on this bike you have to drop a gear (probably two), and then be up in the 'howling range'.

What I am saying is that it is not just 'extra' power, but howling power.

---

Second - Dave, I wish I both knew you and knew bikes better, but I can say this:

It all felt right - power, handling. It felt very straight too - I am usually sensitive to imbalances. I got on it, rode around and it was easy and fun - no huge transition for me from my 150. Aggressive seating position. Easy enough clutch (which I like).

And for sure it is a monster bike. full on. I gave it a good tryout (on a few empty stretches of highway)

Technically, I don't know if anything is 'being hidden' or was just abused, but it all felt right.

I thrash my CBR150 (12k all the time), and when I hit 16k on the 250, there was no fear there. What can I say? Also - no smoke. No leaks. No bad smells...

Does have 50k on it and that is a lot. The fairing is a little dinted on side, and there are some scuff marks on the side engine covers.

The bike idles at 2k, and has a slight waver on idle - up and down a little bit. It was immediately smooth on take off.

Dave - it is a tough call for you. I would have bought the bike, but as I wrote my friend in Canada last night:

"If I bought the 250, I know that I would be hitting 150 160 all the time, and on these highways... ...

If I was on it in the mountains I would have to be in the powerband (10k+) - the engine would be screaming, and I would be going faster than I should. No way - I would be one of those squigley little tire tracks that goes straight into a guard rail with the tops of trees on the other side!"

So I didn't buy it because it seemed suspect in any way - I just don't have the skill set for what this bike absolutely fuc_king demands! 300lb... 45hp... 18,000rpm

Take the fairing and fat tires away, and it weighs the same as my CBR150 (which is now proudly 166cc and boasts about 23hp!!!).

As has been said before - "up to you!"

If anyone else takes it for a spin, one test to do on it is decelerate hard by downshifting and then let it slow down for several seconds. Then get on it (accelerate) and check to see if there is smoke. The high lift cams that they used wore out valve guides in a real hurry and the oil gets through due to engine vacuum if you do this test. My old 750F went through a set of guides every 10,000 miles, but it got ridden hard. Cheap enough to replace even it does smoke a bit. And I always liked the idle waver due to the cams.... they always sound like they want to go!

my CBR150 (which is now proudly 166cc and boasts about 23hp!!!).

I wondering what you did to a CBR150 to get it from 16hp to 23hp? Or is this a guess at 23hp which could really be 17hp?

Sorry - doesn't Honda advertise 17hp?

I always thought having a bigger piston gave more power?

And other stuff:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Mo...-a-Honda-CBR150

http://www.faddybike.com/static/10006c.jpg

http://www.faddybike.com/static/70004c.jpg

And subjectively, it now pulls out of switchbacks in second gear that I used to have to downshift for.

So my guess is that I have more than 17hp

Oh yes, I removed all the stickers. I know that it doesn't increase horsepower, but it does make it faster.

If anyone else takes it for a spin, one test to do on it is decelerate hard by downshifting and then let it slow down for several seconds. Then get on it (accelerate) and check to see if there is smoke. The high lift cams that they used wore out valve guides in a real hurry and the oil gets through due to engine vacuum if you do this test. My old 750F went through a set of guides every 10,000 miles, but it got ridden hard. Cheap enough to replace even it does smoke a bit. And I always liked the idle waver due to the cams.... they always sound like they want to go!

hey dave, the bike has been test driven by another forum member, i do not know his forum name because he called me. i met him at a shop, whos' mechanic was trained at the Honda factory in Japan.

the interested buyer test drove the bike on a small strech of road and on the highway, and was very pleased with everything the bike had to offer. it was flawless mechanically. then the mechanic who the buyer reffered to as 'the best mechanic in town' check out my cbr250rr, and said everything is great. and the buyer also noted that the bike drives very straight. and it doese. straight as an arrow.

the machanic also checked out my green book to see if all numbers mach, and they did.

i have the book in hand, tax payd for another 11 months, and a bike in perfect mechanical condition waiting for a new owner.

dave, if you would like me to pass you the number of the man who took my bike to the shop, i will be happy to give it to you in a pm. just let me know.

and futhermore i can get you the mechanic's number who checked out the bike as well. and i guarantee you will get a good review about my bike.

guys. i bought the bike for 50,000 from a great guy, who took great care of the bike as well. since then, ive spent a good 15,000 baht fixing any little mechanical thing that the bike needed. tires, chain, sprockets, bigger battery, new ignition key, tax, all filters, radiator fan, as well as cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the front shocks, and had the starter fuese replaced and probably some other misc. things that i dont remember off the top of my head.

this bike was awesome when i bought it, and with all the stuff ive just listed, it is that much better, and really - perfect mechanicaly. as im telling eveyrone who asks me about the bike's condition - with a new fairing the bike is litteraly in like new condition

all the parts ive out on the bike are top quality JAPANESE parts. not thai crap. also, all parts have less than 500km's on them.

i can go on and on tlkaing about how fun this bike is to ride, and how good its condition is, but everyone who has seen it liked it, just havent gotten the right guy with the money ready to take it.

thanks everyone,

someone buy this sweet bike,

and ride safe.

also, heres an HD vid of my bike on youtube

its a walk around and engine sound and rev vid. and full HD so enjoy.

hey dave, the bike has been test driven by another forum member, i do not know his forum name because he called me. i met him at a shop, whos' mechanic was trained at the Honda factory in Japan.

the interested buyer test drove the bike on a small strech of road and on the highway, and was very pleased with everything the bike had to offer. it was flawless mechanically. then the mechanic who the buyer reffered to as 'the best mechanic in town' check out my cbr250rr, and said everything is great. and the buyer also noted that the bike drives very straight. and it doese. straight as an arrow.

the machanic also checked out my green book to see if all numbers mach, and they did.

i have the book in hand, tax payd for another 11 months, and a bike in perfect mechanical condition waiting for a new owner.

dave, if you would like me to pass you the number of the man who took my bike to the shop, i will be happy to give it to you in a pm. just let me know.

and futhermore i can get you the mechanic's number who checked out the bike as well. and i guarantee you will get a good review about my bike.

guys. i bought the bike for 50,000 from a great guy, who took great care of the bike as well. since then, ive spent a good 15,000 baht fixing any little mechanical thing that the bike needed. tires, chain, sprockets, bigger battery, new ignition key, tax, all filters, radiator fan, as well as cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the front shocks, and had the starter fuese replaced and probably some other misc. things that i dont remember off the top of my head.

this bike was awesome when i bought it, and with all the stuff ive just listed, it is that much better, and really - perfect mechanicaly. as im telling eveyrone who asks me about the bike's condition - with a new fairing the bike is litteraly in like new condition

all the parts ive out on the bike are top quality JAPANESE parts. not thai crap. also, all parts have less than 500km's on them.

i can go on and on tlkaing about how fun this bike is to ride, and how good its condition is, but everyone who has seen it liked it, just havent gotten the right guy with the money ready to take it.

thanks everyone,

someone buy this sweet bike,

and ride safe.

also, heres an HD vid of my bike on youtube

its a walk around and engine sound and rev vid. and full HD so enjoy.

also, note when i rev it all the way to 18,500 RPM, that there isnt a trase of smoke or anything coming from the exhaust.

kinda looks like the sound has been added in to be honest.

anyways, id be really happy if the bike sells. but if it doesnt, i wont froun at the sight of riding it again when i get back to thailand.

if it sells i will dearly miss it, and if i can find a new owner, it will make them very very happy, and the only reason they will ever want to sell it, will be because they are going out of the country as well.

thanks again

dan

Ok i have a few questions.

1) what tyres are they, and what sizes?

2) what chain did you use standard or o-ring, 428 or 520?

3) what are the sprocket size's (teeth)?

4) bigger battery, what size?

5) what filters were changed and what brand used?

Thanks Allan

Ok i have a few questions.

1) what tyres are they, and what sizes?

2) what chain did you use standard or o-ring, 428 or 520?

3) what are the sprocket size's (teeth)?

4) bigger battery, what size?

5) what filters were changed and what brand used?

Thanks Allan

hey allan, rear tire is an IRC and the size is 160. the fron is a dunlop and probably around 120.

the chain is a 525 o-ring chain.

filters: oil, and air filters.

how many teeth on the sprocket? i dont know but i can count them for you if you really need to know. / find out the size form my mechanic.

do not remember the battery size. i just know its bigger. or should i say more powerful. i replaced it just as i got the bike, and honestly cannot remember the power difference.

i have all the receipts from work done to my bike. they are in thai, so if you can read thai you can understand them. if not, then theyre just papers with a bunch of symbols and prices on them :)

if someone wants to speak to my mechanic to confirm anything about my bike. please feel free. as well as take it to the mechanic of your choice.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Nice bike. I would of been interested 3 months ago, but went for a 3 yr old cbr 150. The price difference between a 3 yr old 150, and a soon to be 18 year old 250 is too surreal.

Can probably get a 1 year old cbr 150 for the same price, and I don't fancy having a 23 year old old bike in 5 years time.

They are bloody good fun to ride though. Good luck to it and its next owner.

Nice bike. I would of been interested 3 months ago, but went for a 3 yr old cbr 150. The price difference between a 3 yr old 150, and a soon to be 18 year old 250 is too surreal.

Can probably get a 1 year old cbr 150 for the same price, and I don't fancy having a 23 year old old bike in 5 years time.

They are bloody good fun to ride though. Good luck to it and its next owner.

I'd have to agree, and after lots of good reading on this forum I decided to go for the 150 cbr, but........

I did see this bike before, but being in BKK thought it was way to far for a test ride.

Now I've read this thread, and watched the you tube vid (being a sucker for that 4 cylinder scream, and coming from my 750 gsxr in Oz), I am now not sure. The age of the bike does concern me a little for resale, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)