Can I Make The Transfer? Jin Air 1:30pm On To Thai Air 3:40pm

chinofarang

i am getting into swamp bunny from seoul on jin (gin?) airlines at 1:30pm fri jan 1. can i make my thai air flight to cnx at 3:40pm? that's after immigration etc and getting my bags? the online site vayama slipped this jin airline as my second flight after my korean flight from nyc. now i can't get my bags sent straight through b/c this jin airline as i found out, doesn't have an agreement w/ thai. :)

watch the fine print w/ this travel site. it takes you through the process thinking you are flying one airline straight through then when you get to end of the transaction, it will show no airline logo where your flight is.

i had to call them to see what was up and they told me that my korean airlines flight was now this jin airlines and i had to call korean air or this jin airlines.

i called korean and they said this is called "ping ponging."

i thought i was pretty savy with this stuff but what a lesson! now i either cancel this whole flight cause of this or just go with it.

help me out, folks! this most informed forum and its always been a great resource!

Jin Air is the LCC (low cost carrier) subsidiary of Korean Airlines. 2:10 seems like a doable connection at BKK even with a remote/bus gate but don't delay; get to Immigration ASAP, get your bags, clear Customs and get up to level 4 to check in for the TG flight to CNX. Personally I'd recommend at least a 3 hour connection if on mixed tickets as TG are under no obligation to transport you if your Jin Air flight is late, and you miss the TG flight.

Edited by lomatopo

Kudos to smokie 36 and lomotopo for your insight on my situation. i was tempted to cancel this trip b/c of my concerns on the timing of my second leg. but do you guys have any idea of the on time record of jin air? and will there be a problem w/ my luggage making the transfer from korean air (nyc to seoul) to my second leg (seoul to bangkok) on jin?

i am hoping for mercy from the folks at thai if i am late coming in from jin air. i didn't realize that they are under no real obligation to put me on another flight if i am coming from another carrier.

once again, thanks for soothing my already frazzled nerves.

I misunderstood your original post, apologies. It sounds like you have one ticket for JFK-ICN-BKK-CNX, issued on KE (Korean Airlines) ticket stock. (At first I thought you had separate tickets, one for JFK-ICN-BKK and one for BKK-CNX.) TG should accommodate you on a later flight (there are 3 subsequent flights), provided they have space, were you to be late arriving BKK and miss your original TG flight.

I tried some of the flight stats websites but could not find Jin Air (code: LJ), perhaps because service begins tomorrow? I assume your baggage will be transferred at ICN so no worries there, just make sure when you check in at JFK.

*Korean LCC Jin Air has firmed plans to launch its first International routes from its main base at Seoul Incheon Airport. From December 21st it will launch 4x weekly B737-800 service to Bangkok and from the 22nd December it will launch a 4x weekly service to Macau.