Time For A Thai Band Thread

sbk

A friend has accused me of being a music snob for not listening to Thai music. I find most of the pop inanely sweet. So, can anyone recommend good Thai rock bands? Or pop that is not all love songs mooning over high school loves?

Names, songs, and if you have it, youtube videos.

You can post youtube directly into the thread by inserting brackets [ ] and inside the first bracket youtube, then the video number (follows after the = sign in the link) and then brackets again [ ] with /youtube inside

ex but without the spaces: [ youtube ] clex3iiHLoU [ /youtube ]

becomes this rather fun sounding group:

To be honest, I just spent the last two hours at a local rural karaoke bar watching the VCDs play and it struck me as exactly the way that you mentioned, about some sort of high school love type thing, of the everlasting undying kind, except the poochai always ends up lying on the ground died from overloaded love at the end of the video clip.

Still, as far as it goes for honest true love, I can't criticise the sentiments of that sort of thing. It pertains to why I appreciate being back home in Thailand so much, because it is a matter of life or death ever moment, and so the songs go.

If you ever want to hear a good Thai band playing songs or a western genre, then all I can think of is that old place that used to be called the Country Saloon back in 2549, on Chaengwattana, Pak Kret, just across the road from Tesco Lotus.

They did it as if they'd alreadyt recorded it in the studio 100 times, but it was western covers. If you want to appreciate modern Thai pop music, then get used to same same love song ballads where the sheila is totally knockout beautiful and the young bloke on lead vocals always dies in some gutter on the street in the coda... :)

Carabao must be the obvious recommendation.

This is one of my favourite Carabao songs (it is about a boy whose girlfriend dies, though!); there's plenty more on YouTube.

This is from their 20th anniversary concert, they don't normally have a full orchestra behind them!

Clash are pretty good, too.

For the best thai rock band you cant go past

THE SILLY FOOLS

one of the biggest rock bands in Thailand.

Some of the albums availabe Silly Fools (self titled), Juicy, Mint, King Size, TheOne (abolutely awesome album)

BODYSLAM

This track speaks for itself. It's definately one of my fav songs.

Cheers,

Chris.

I prefer the older bands too be honest, sorry to say that I think the younger Thai bands aren't up to much and most of them all sound the same, really don't like the look or sound.

I'm a fan of Inlekfi (Stone Metal Fire) they are an awsome band IMO, know them quite well also as well as the Olarn project and Carabao. Sek is still up there of course also.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's quite a good song (although it seems it's the new catch phrase for Chang Beer).

It's by Micro (ไมโคร), Sek Loso (เสก โลโซ), Big Ass (บิ๊กแอส), & Bodyslam (บอดี้แสลม), all great bands in their own right. It's called Kon-Thai-Hua-Jai-Dieow-Gan (คนไทยหัวใจเดียวกัน).

Here's one by Asani-Wasan (อัสนี วสันต์) called Wua-Luem-Dtua (วัวลืมตัว).

Here's Sek Loso playing a live version of what should almost be the frickin' national anthem given the amount of times I've heard it here no matter how far up country I've gone. It's called SomSan (ซมซาน)

FWIW: Micro is playing two shows at Impact Arena at the end of the month.

Sek Loso's monthly schedule is on Losofc-dot-com as he plays clubs and shows all over the country and worth catching if he's in your neighborhood.

Edited by tod-daniels

I've heard of Ebola, pop, just never heard them if you see what I mean. Pretty good actually, not that heavy. Not a metal head thrasher but do like hard rock.

cheers for your latest additions tod, guess I need to rethink my ideas of thai music. sticky sweet pop just doens't do it for me but so far, quite a few enjoyable bands here.

OK, you got me. that was great :)

Let me know next time you go see them, I will come to Bangkok! :D

They play pretty much every Wed through Sun night at Ad Here on Samsen Rd, near Soi 1. I saw them again this past Sunday night, packed as usual, and all were in a good mood since they day before they learned they had won Best Instrumental at the Kom Chad Luek Awards 2010 for their song 'Nong Harn,' which mixes blues with mo lam.

They are filming a third MV this week and about to go north to promote the new CD. Lotta fun. Here's a bunch of links to web pages about them:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHNG_e...banglampoo+band

Abuse the Youth and Zero Hero are playing at Guitarman Chiang Mai next Friday. Then Fat Fest the next day at Central Airport Plaza.