Foreigner Shot Six Times At Close Range

The killing campaign marches on outside of the Deep South.... :o

KANGAR, April 20 (Bernama) -- A Malaysian businessman was shot dead in Haadyai, a town popular with Malaysian visitors in southern Thailand, early Tuesday.

According to Thai police, the killing occurred at about 1.30am (2.30am Malaysian time) while the businessman, Soon Chuan Wan, 41, was seated in a car.

Soon, from Bayan Lepas in Penang, was shot six times at close range while a woman companion inside the car was shot once but she survived.

The woman, believed to be a Thai national but her identity had not been confirmed, was treated at the Haadyai Hospital.

Soon had stopped the car near a 7-Eleven outlet along Chaiyakue Road to enable a Thai man who was travelling in the same car to get out to buy some goods.

While he and the woman were waiting in the parked car, two men on a motorcycle rode up to them and one fired seven times into the car.

Thai police investigating the case.

An official at the Malaysian Consulate in Songkhla said preparations were being made to send Soon's body back to Malaysia.

The killing was the second involving Malaysians this year in the Songkhla district. The first occurred on April 2 when a second-hand car dealer from Kangar, Perlis, Srak Kong a/l Iram, 39, was shot four times in Sadao town.

Last year, three Malaysian businessmen were shot dead in separate incidents in Songkhla district.

-- BERNAMA

The real problem in Thailand is that hand guns could be bought easily.

Some legally, and some illegally. There is no proper control in issuing

firearms permits/licence.

In Malaysia, if found guilty in posssessing a firearm without a permit,

the penalty is a death sentence. To get a gun permit is well nigh impossible.

As an example, certain people are only allowed to apply for the permit:

Members of Parliament, law enforcement officers, security officers, and

other security officers. Even off duty policemen are not allowed to carry guns.

They carry guns when on duty..... and have to hand their weapons over after

their duties are over. Certain police or law enforement officers are allowed to

carry their weapons 24 hours on a selective case by case basis, or as the case may be.

Certain category of people, depending on the nature of their jobs, or if the need is

absolutely necessary, then their cases would be considered on a case by case basis.

Thailand should learn a thing or two from Malaysia ...... in regards to gun control.

I repeat , to get a gun permit here is well nigh impossible....... unless the need is

absolutely nescessary. In Thailand, I was told that getting a permit is no big deal.

That is the real trouble with their easy ' Mai pen rai ' attitude.

Thailand should learn a thing or two from Malaysia ...... in regards to gun control.

I repeat , to get a gun permit here is well nigh impossible....... unless the need is

absolutely nescessary. In Thailand, I was told that getting a permit is no big deal.

That is the real trouble with their easy '  Mai pen rai  '  attitude.

Try to purchase a firearm legally here then and see how easy it is. It's not (at least it wasn't for me).

Thailand: Police interview, fingerprinted, bank book examination. Each gun AND barrel is metal stamped with a serial number (in addition to the one serial number already on the gun).

USA: (any gun show in Austin, 3-4 times a year). Driver license (to check if you're 21). No background check (there is if you go through a store though). The only "record" of your firearm is a shell casing in a plastic bag taped to your firearm with a label that says "this firearm was discharged on X/X/XX and an identical casing is kept on file at XXX Firearms Inc, as required by local law." Yeah, a real deterrent (just change the firing pin and the barrel and your gun is "clean" as a whistle).

:o

Yeah, a real deterrent (just change the firing pin and the barrel and your gun is "clean" as a whistle).

When a shell casing is ejected from an automatic weapon it is scarred. I'm not sure which parts of the gun do this. From looking at a schematic I'd say the ejector, the slide and possibly the frame depending on the gun design. The barrel and firing pin are not the only parts of a gun to match cartridge ballistics. Someone more knowledgeable could confirm this.

Yeah, a real deterrent (just change the firing pin and the barrel and your gun is "clean" as a whistle).

When a shell casing is ejected from an automatic weapon it is scarred. I'm not sure which parts of the gun do this. From looking at a schematic I'd say the ejector, the slide and possibly the frame depending on the gun design. The barrel and firing pin are not the only parts of a gun to match cartridge ballistics. Someone more knowledgeable could confirm this.

The shell casing left at the scene? Shell catcher, no shell. What shell casing? :o And even then... trackable to whom (fake id + no prints)?

The main point was the relative ease of purchase without verification of identity.

:D

And a Canadian friend is going to Hat Yai tomorrow for a month to study for a TEFL certificate.

He's an old hand here, so should know the potential dangers.

I hope he realizes that a simple trip to the local 7-11 can result in getting a chest full of lead. :o

It's OK - he goes to Family Mart...

While incidents of bomb attacks may be common only in the South

there was a time when you could have written: "While incidents of bomb attacks may be common only in the Deep South", but not anymore... it's spread to the general Southern area....

How long before these words are written:

"I remember when Bangkok used to be safe from bomb attacks"

:o