Can I Save My Microwave

eek

A while back, whilst blasting some popcorn and not paying attention, the buttery mix came out and damaged the paintwork under the rotating glass plate.

The paint bubbled and when i cleaned, it flaked off.

Can I repair this? If so, what kind of paint is safe to use?

Is it still safe to use the microwave as is?

Thank you!

post-33493-1261316523_thumb.jpg

Edited by eek

Hmmm, looks like that paint was already damaged and the underlying steel corroded before the butter got at it (would you eat something that does that to paint?).

Anyway, it's perfectly safe to use as it is.

Not tried here, but you can get appliance touch-up paint back home, check out Amorn.

Thanks crossy.

I have been using it. Thats why its in the state its in now. It got burnt and had to scrub it. The further damage is from subsequent use. I think if i dont do something about it, its just going to keep getting worse. It just dawned on me that it may be bad for my health, glad to hear its safe.

Will take a look out for appliance paint (actually a friend already said you can get paint like that in the west, but wasnt sure if could be used on the inside of an appliance).

I have a cheap LG and the same thing happened. It didn't seem to bother anything so I didn't pay any attention to it. Last week I could smell something burning. I looked through the glass door and one of the bare spots was glowing red hot. There is now a hole all the way through. It appears that I am going to need a new microwave.

Mines just a cheapo LG microwave too Gary. Its about 3 years old and was just a budget priced one from Tesco Lotus. Surprised me how easily it got damaged. The paint coating seems to be pretty thin.

The LG is five years old. It worked great and still does except I am afraid to use it with the hole in the bottom. I plan to buy another cheap LG and hope to get another five years of service. This time, I'll be sure to wipe the roller track out if we have any accidents from something overflowing.

Here is an article on how to fix it > yedda.com Also, you can temporarily keep it from corroding further by rubbing the area thoroughly with cooking oil until you can do the paint/repair.

As for Gary A:

"A word of caution: if arcing has occurred and you have a hole in the cavity of your microwave oven, you can only safely use the microwave if the hole is smaller than one of the holes in the mesh screen. If the hole is bigger than that, you need to replace the unit because the microwave radiation (radio waves) may leak out past the hole."

Here is an article on how to fix it > yedda.com Also, you can temporarily keep it from corroding further by rubbing the area thoroughly with cooking oil until you can do the paint/repair.

As for Gary A:

"A word of caution: if arcing has occurred and you have a hole in the cavity of your microwave oven, you can only safely use the microwave if the hole is smaller than one of the holes in the mesh screen. If the hole is bigger than that, you need to replace the unit because the microwave radiation (radio waves) may leak out past the hole."

The hole is about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide. I really didn't notice it until the roller and plate started jumping. I have told my wife NOT to use it and have taken the roller assembly and plate out of it. I am going to buy a new one and give the old one to a small local shop for parts.

There's a trick to testing for radiastion leaks in your microwave. Simply put your mobile in it (don't turn the microwave on obviously) - if the signal bars fall to zero, then no radiation is getting in, so none should be getting out either. Anyway, that's what I was told. Electromagnetic radiation travels in straight lines, but can be deflected. If the hole is underneath, then the radiation is going down into the bench - if there is metal under it (like tin foil) it will likely be absorbed harmlessley.

Having said all that - a half inch hole will definitely let the radiation escape and may damage the electronics inside the machine too. Think its time for the bin!

if there is metal under it (like tin foil) it will likely be absorbed harmlessley.

No, actually it (metal) will reflect the microwave radiation - scattering the radiation about. That's why radar works. :)

Mmm yes, maybe it should be right under, like taped to the bottom so it reflects back into the box. Otherwise you may be hit by a sidewinder on your way to the fridge!

Putting soap under it could be fun - ever seen soap in a microwave - it great fun (has to be hard soap, not liquid). http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...crowave-127030/

Edited by wolf5370

Oh Lord, you made my heart do a flip when i saw the "cat in a microwave" title! :)

Wow, this thread has been informative! :D

If you remember, you got to see my microwave toy at the lab, all 5 Megawatts of it. It did take up a bit more space then a table top though. :D

Yes! ..and i dont fancy trying to heat up some food in it much either! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...just a quick question..

I went along to HomePro and they had a TON of different paints..some were acrylic based, some were oil based.. which is better for the job? :)

Thanks.

Hmm...just a quick question..

I went along to HomePro and they had a TON of different paints..some were acrylic based, some were oil based.. which is better for the job? :)

Thanks.

The article states 'gloss enamel'. This usually comes in small pots and dries to a hard finish. I've bought it in small hardware shops in Thailand, and many brands have 'enamel' in English on the tin. Oil-based gloss is the ordinary domestic gloss paint, which you don't want (some enamels are oil-based too but have extra additives to achieve the hard surface finish). Nor do you want ordinary acyrlic paint, which because of its flexible properties is often used as an external paint.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Khon Kaen Makro and was shopping for a new microwave. I chose three different units that were on display. "NO HAB". I ended up with a A Samsung with lots of buttons and gadgets that are, as far as I am concerned a waste of money. The units I had picked were all about 2,000 baht. The Samsung was 3,000 baht. My wife is impressed so I guess it is Okay.