Is "babylon" Sauna Intimidating?

zaqzaq

Hi, my friends and I are going to the Babylon Bangkok. They say I'll "LOVE IT" and that they'll have to drag me out of there, but I'm actually very shy (I know that they're trying to make me more confident). However I don't really feel comfortable with being nearly naked in front of strangers, or going into places where the main thing going on is hooking up... I'm not even used to go to openly gay bars. Don't worry, I'm not a closet case, it's just that where I grew up there were no such things as gay saunas and gay parades.

I'm 20 and Caucasian (my friends say guys will make queues just to talk to me...) and my friends are in their 30s. I'm also not very attracted to Asians in general, but I admit that some are indeed very cute. So, I have a few questions regarding this place(and the gay nightlife in general):

a ) Is it possible to go there and just enjoy the sauna without having to have sex with someone? Of course that it's up to me to have it or not, but... do people actually go there just for the sauna/SPA services?

b ) Are young white guys sought after?

c ) If I'm young, white and if I may add, cute, will I be bothered all the time by guys trying to approach me? I feel intimidated when guys just approach me and start their "Hi! I'm John!! (nearly try to kiss you) What's your name, where are you from, top/bottom?!"

d ) Since I'm not really attracted to Asians, they will catch that and won't even try?

It will be assumed by most everyone there that you are into Asians. So expect to have to reject many approaches by Asians. If they are also young and cute, they will be confused why you are rejecting them. Many of the non-Asian guys there will be exclusively into Asians. Yes, it is a place for hooking up. So yes if you wander into the saunas you will have to be beating off some people with a stick. Good luck.

Edited by Jingthing

OP, don't worry, you are already so caught up in yourself that it is unlikely that you need any competition from others! :)

Seriously, you should be fine and you can do things or not do things as you like. I've never seen anyone in any gay location try to kiss anyone as an opening flirt- it would be highly offensive and presumptuous if they did so without some indication of mutual interest- and you can very definitely go to the Babylon without doing anything with anyone. Watch what other people are doing and they follow suit or not as you wish.

Jingthing, did you intentionally mean that he would be beating them off with a stick!

To the OP, I suggest you go to the Sauna and if you don't like it then leave. Rest assured that your problem of being young and nice looking will be over in no time at all. I haven't been there for years, but used to go occasionally as it was near where I lived. I had as much fun as I decided to have and at times found it a nice place to relax. It's a bit of a meat market, but hey, if your not hungry, you don't have to eat.

Jingthing, did you intentionally mean that he would be beating them off with a stick!

I doubt you will believe me but it was a totally unintentional pun type thing. I reread it today and saw how outrageous it reads. I guess he may want to bring along a stick ...

... I've never seen anyone in any gay location try to kiss anyone as an opening flirt- it would be highly offensive and presumptuous if they did so without some indication of mutual interest ...

As an aside , and maybe this should be in a separate topic, but every Christmas and New Year there are several grizzled old men in certain bars who use the time of year as an excuse to kiss and grope cute, young guys who otherwise would not go within a country mile of them.

It's not being friendly; It's not a cultural thing. It's very, very annoying.

Please control yourselves.

As an aside , and maybe this should be in a separate topic, but every Christmas and New Year there are several grizzled old men in certain bars who use the time of year as an excuse to kiss and grope cute, young guys who otherwise would not go within a country mile of them.

It's not being friendly; It's not a cultural thing. It's very, very annoying.

Please control yourselves.

I laughed when I read that :) But I wont if it happens! I'm just gonna grab one of my friends and pretend we're boyfriends, that might work.

If you do go to Babylon , you might want to remove your cloak and crown first.

:D

I'm not even sure what you mean with that... if you're implying that I'm arrogant or narcissist, you're wrong.

To all the others who answered, you confirmed what I suspected: that Babylon is a meat market. While it's not the place I'd like to hangout, I sort of have to go with my friends (no way to change their minds) and staying alone in the Hotel isn't fun either. I guess I'll have to try and see how bad it really is.

I have another question: what's the "dress code" for Babylon? Towel around the waist like on their pictures? Underwear? Swimwear? Dressed?

Babylon is organizing a New Year's Eve foam party (and yes, the "gang" wants to go there as well) and I'm not sure what to "not wear".

Just because your friends enjoy it doesn't mean you will... and I think it's pretty clear that Babylon is not your thing. A 20 year old caucasian doesn't need to go to Babylon to meet plenty of guys either. I say skip it and just have a good time somewhere else where you will be more comfortable. :)

No dress code for Babylon since you take clothes off and wear the towel wrapped around your waist after you enter and go through the locker room. Some people also wear swimwear under the towel as they either plan to use the swimming pool, to sun-tan or feel more comfortable with something on in the jacuzzi or the steam room. Everybody using the pool wears something and so do guys relaxing around. Although the place is a "temple of sex" and many go there to get it off it is not too much up-in-your-face unlike some other gay saunas elsewhere. Foam parties are great fun to look at or to join in but no need to participate in any activities that you may not like.

Babylon is considered by many No. 1 gay sauna in the world and it would be shame not to check it out. There is a nice restaurant on two levels there that offers live music at times. There are 2-3 classy bars, gym and previously mentioned outdoor area with the pool. There is absolutely no preassure to do anything if you don't feel comfortable with. Most of the action takes place in the steam rooms, dark room and private rooms. It's only in these areas that you may get touched by unwelcomed hands. Otherwise, all you will get is lots of looks from people interested in you but there hardly be any people strating up conversations as this is not necessary in the sauna etiquette. I can only wish I was 20, good looking and had a chance to go there :-)

Actually, this is beginning to seem like our semi-annual thread theme (in various trollish configurations): 'I'm gay but afraid to have sex, where can I go and be safe?' which I would almost always suppose to be a closet concern of straight trolls...

I think the question has been adequately addressed; perhaps the OP will let us know how his trip went (I will unlock the thread if so)- otherwise, thread closed.