Immigration Office Pattaya Questions

zoddydc

Hey everyone,

I know where the office is but had a few questions, perhaps they have been answered.

1. Is there an official webpage for the site, I cant seem to find it

2. What are the office hours and are they open on Saturday

3. Though Christmas is more of a Western holiday are they going to be any different office hours this week and next?

Thanks all

My understanding is that they are NOT open on Saturdays -- They were for a short period of time awhile back, but that was scrapped.

They also don't tell you that they take a break from 12:00 to 13:00+ for lunch. There is no notice of this break that I could find anywhere, including the hours that are prominently displayed on the front door.

I arrived at 12:20 for 90-Day Reporting and was surprised at the lack of activity when I entered the place. Two of Imm's "finest" immediately tried to kick me out -- I pointed to the 8:00 to 16:30 Hours on the door -- One of them indignantly shouted "LUNCH" and stormed out.

I persevered and was able to find a kind-hearted agent who took the 30 seconds to process my 90-day application and I was on my way.

Unfortunately for Chonburi Imm., a large group of Expats waiting outside who had been duped by the non-announced lunch break immediately rushed through the doors. -- I quickly departed in fear that I would be arrested for inciting a riot :)

Just a word of warning about Mondays. Even getting there by 11am could be too late if they are really busy.

I got there at about 10:45 am last Monday and they had a sign on the ticket machine to come back after 1 pm. If you must go on a Monday at this time of year I would recommend going really early unless you don't mind hanging out for a long while.

If you are extending a tourist visa, go mid-week the week before if your last day is on a Monday.

My understanding is that they are NOT open on Saturdays -- They were for a short period of time awhile back, but that was scrapped.

They also don't tell you that they take a break from 12:00 to 13:00+ for lunch. There is no notice of this break that I could find anywhere, including the hours that are prominently displayed on the front door.

I arrived at 12:20 for 90-Day Reporting and was surprised at the lack of activity when I entered the place. Two of Imm's "finest" immediately tried to kick me out -- I pointed to the 8:00 to 16:30 Hours on the door -- One of them indignantly shouted "LUNCH" and stormed out.

I persevered and was able to find a kind-hearted agent who took the 30 seconds to process my 90-day application and I was on my way.

Unfortunately for Chonburi Imm., a large group of Expats waiting outside who had been duped by the non-announced lunch break immediately rushed through the doors. -- I quickly departed in fear that I would be arrested for inciting a riot :)

Are you taking the piss mate.

What kind of guy goes to an immigration office between 12 and 1 oclock.

think your find most of the world goes to lunch around this time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for rude staff shouting at you, at the office in Jomtien, thats just bullshit.

Get out of bed in the morning and do what you need to do, then hit the bars around midday.

works fine for me.

Lazzy sod

"think your find most of the world goes to lunch around this time"

If you believe that, we live in different worlds.

Sorry if you can't accept facts. I guess in your world, most Restaurants, Hotels, Bars, Banks, and Shops close for lunch at 12:00 also?

I have a disability that restricts my mobility and had five tasks to complete that day. I didn't have time to wait for your "Lazzy sod" deadbeats.

think your find most of the world goes to lunch around this time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for rude staff shouting at you, at the office in Jomtien, thats just bullshit.

Get out of bed in the morning and do what you need to do, then hit the bars around midday.

works fine for me.

Lazzy sod

What I'm about to say here is not "taking the piss" mate.

In Australia government offices do not close down for lunch. Where do you come from?

There are rude staff in the Jomtien office. The manager there ("Katoey") is one example.

works fine for me.

Lazzy sod

In Australia government offices do not close down for lunch. Where do you come from?

There are rude staff in the Jomtien office. The manager there ("Katoey") is one example.

Agree with that , wonder if a series of complaints to Bangkok could get him transferred - he is a big part of the problem with dealing with that immigration office.

works fine for me.

Lazzy sod

Agree with that , wonder if a series of complaints to Bangkok could get him transferred - he is a big part of the problem with dealing with that immigration office.

Once he sent my gf home to change when she was wearing shorts (reasonable length and not showing any ass) and t-shirt when there were Europeans girls showing their navals and tattooed guys wearing singlets and flip flops (looking scary rough) in there.

Ho Ho HO...I moved here about 7 months ago from Chiang Mai, and must redo thee ole retirement visa by Jan.10th. Knowing that the reqirements for re-newing varies place to place and sometimes day to day, I downloaded the website for Chonburi immigration provided earlier in this thread. It was all in Thai and could not find any way to convert the text to Engrish. First I would ask if anyone that knows how to change it over could clue me in. Since most folks requiring services at immigration aren't Thai, seems they would have the text available in a couple other languages.

Second question would be the requirements for renewing my retirement visa at Jomtien. Apparently they require some letter from my bank (not required at Chiang Mai) and I also hear about a medical certificate required here. Also usually only required along with a police clearance if you are applying at an Embassy like in the states.

I realize the only factual way is to make an extra trip down there and ask them myself but I'm wondering if anyone else may have some useful input from recent renewals....Thanks

I'm trying to be nice on here, but it's difficult when people reply with such condescending and rude sarcasm.

Please read this very slowly and carefully Mr Pig, because you are not as smart as you think you are.

My gf is Filipino. She goes to the immigration office in Jomtien to get tourist visa extensions just the same as the rest of us.

Does that clear up your confususion?

Last visit was to get clarification on the requirements for support of a child and I had Barry Kenyon with one of "Pattaya's finest" telling me that the law relating to Bt400,000 in a bank actually meant Bt500,000 in the surreal world of Pattaya !

A law unto themselves, backed up by Britain's finest (sic). Unbelievable.

"Second question would be the requirements for renewing my retirement visa at Jomtien"

NO medical or police report required.

As of four weeks ago, these were the basics from the local Expat Club website - which concurs also with my personal yearly renewal:

The following documents are usually the only ones required. However, it is within the Immigration Official's discretion to ask for additional items:

1. You will need the basic Immigration documents for an extension application.

2. Original Letter from your Thai Bank certifying your account and showing your balance (the letter should be dated within the last 7 days - most Expats obtain the day before applying).

3. Photocopy of your bank passbook Identity page showing name and account number and page(s) showing the last 3 months activity (it is recommended that you update your passbook on the same day you get your bank letter so that both balances will agree)

4. IF you are using monthly income in total or in part to meet the financial requirements, an original "Embassy Letter" attesting to your monthly income. The letter should not be more than one-year old.

In addition to meeting the standard income and/or financial resources requirement:

You must have a Thai bank account even if you are using only monthly income certified by your Embassy. An article in Pattaya Today English language newspaper in May 2009 suggests the bank account show at least 1,000 Baht on deposit. However, an expat that recently renewed (June 2009) using only income to qualify reported that the Pattaya Immigration Official told him the next time he renewed he should still have at least 10,000 Baht in the bank.

Thanks much...SurfRider. Nice to encounter a sane response among the gibberish

Unless things have changed you will ALSO need a photocopy of your passport, the main page, and the page with your visa stamped on it, and a photocopy of the entry card you received on the plane when you last entered Thailand. It should be stapled in your passport. You will also need a passport photo, stapled in the square provided, on the back of your extension application. You will need to take your bankbook as well as the copies with you for their comparison. Any copies you don't have can be made right outside, to the right of the entrance, as well as passport photos, at reasonable prices, and good quality.

And DON'T FORGET the 1900 baht.....they ask for THAT first.

Application forms are available just to the left as you enter the office, with samples. DON'T GO ON MONDAY.......!

From recent reports, it's probably best to assume that you won't be able do any processing from around 10:30am until 1:00pm.

Depending on how busy they are on any given day, they start restricting access to the ticket machine as early as 10:30am so they can be assured that they will have that revered 12:00 to 13:00 unannounced "lunch hour" to themselves and not be bothered by those pesky foreigners who are expecting services.

Mai Pen Rai . . . :)

From recent reports, it's probably best to assume that you won't be able do any processing from around 10:30am until 1:00pm.

Depending on how busy they are on any given day, they start restricting access to the ticket machine as early as 10:30am so they can be assured that they will have that revered 12:00 to 13:00 unannounced "lunch hour" to themselves and not be bothered by those pesky foreigners who are expecting services.

Ha Ha.

So you have learnt something. if only to get up a bit earlier.

Wont say any more, as the mods will be around again.

Have a nice day.

Edited by plasticpig

"Unless things have changed you will ALSO need a photocopy of your passport..."

Attached is a PDF file that gives you all the specific detail that you need to know about the extension for Retirement process at the Chonburi/Pattaya/Jomtien Imm. office -- no guarantees about any other Imm. offices in the Land of the Midnight Sins . . . :)

Thai_Visa_Retirement_Chonburi.pdf

Ha Ha.

So you have learnt something. if only to get up a bit earlier.

Wont say any more, as the mods will be around again.

Have a nice day.

Good move, and of course it will save you from putting your foot in your mouth once again. :D

"Yeah the 90 days reports are usually done in a few minutes."

True, and I've done them in less than 5 minutes.

I normally shoot for 8:30am to beat the thundering herds-- but make sure that you don't arrive two hours later when they block access to the omnipotent ticket machine to protect their unannounced 12:00 to 13:00 "lunch hour"

In that event, your 5 to 20 minute 90-day report adventure can suddenly stretch to 3 hours plus!

• 1 month later...

Just back from Jomtien immigration, for a tourist visa extension. Planned to go last Friday due to recommendations not to go on a Monday. Well didn't make it Friday, so I figured I show up early today.

Got there about 9:10am and was told there were no more tickets available and had to return by 1pm. Ran a few errands and arrived back around 12:45pm to beat the afternoon crowd...

Well there was a huge line of people waiting for tickets. When I got mine there were 45 ahead of me. Took close to 2 ½ hours before my number was called.

During this wait I was a bit surprised that the people in front of me were asked to wait for their passports. As opposed to come back tomorrow for a pickup, which I thought was common practice, if you handed in your passport in the afternoon.

Anyway, looks like this is now the current practice and I was also asked to step aside and wait for my passport. This took another 1 ½ hour before my name was called. So pretty much this whole day was shot.

Anyone going for a visa extension, take the advice that has been posted earlier in this tread and don't show up on a Monday. If you for some reason still have to, be there before they open at 08:30am.