Modem

thaiflyer1

Ive just signed up (10th April) for TT&T's TSpeed broadband they promised to have it up and running for yesterday 21st..........

Ive installed the drivers via the disc which came with the modem......when i open the icon on my desktop its coming up with "attempting to connect" then "line down"

The modem is a DB101 USB ADSL seems to come in 2 pieces the modem itself and a seperate box......ive got the phone line coming into this seperate box then a lead exiting via a socket labeled "ADSL" which ive hooked up to the modem (the only other socket on the modem is the USB port for power?) ive then got a lead running from another socket on the "seperate box" labeled "line" running into the phone socket on my computer.

What i/d like to know is have i hooked it up correctly ?..........or is it the case that TT & T havnt got me connected up at their end yet?

Many Thanks

............(hope all the above makes sense to someone :o )

They told me that they would call when the ADSL connection was up and running and that it would take about a week. We called to inquire and they reiterated that: one week.

That will be next week Tuesday.

And, no, it is not hooked up correctly.

The connection between your computer and the modem should be a USB cable. The data from the modem will get into your computer via the USB connection.

It sounds like the one box you have (three phone line connections?) is a filter/splitter. The phone line from the wall goes in one, one goes to the modem (the other box) and the other goes to your telephone set.

=======[in from telephone line]

||

||

||

[filter/splitter]=======[ADSL Modem]-------{usb cable}-------[computer]

||

||

||======[telephone set]

Sorry about the drawing. :o

if you can't use the internet, but the connection is established, this means that the isp hasn't registered you into the system yet. i had the same problem, and you might have to wait the weekend before you can use the internet.

if you can't use the internet, but the connection is established, this means that the isp hasn't registered you into the system yet.  i had the same problem, and you might have to wait the weekend before you can use the internet.

OK thanks i/ll wait till Monday see what happens............got 20 days left on my T-Net dial up card so no worries just yet.

Edit...........just an afterthought, the modem is transmitting data ok just not recieving any........were you in a similar situation?

Edited by thaiflyer1

For the connection to work, the ADSL connection has to be on and you have to be logged in. If the status says "line up", then you've got an ADSL connection (there is a signal on your line). Now you need to login, as per instructions that come from the ISP, with your user/password (similar to a dial-up connection). Only then will you be able to use the connection for surfing.

TT&T uses PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet). This is similar to what you use when you have a dial-up account. Each time you connect your user name and password are sent to the host to verify that you are a known user. Once that's established the host supplies you with an IP address and also sends domain name server (DNS) information to your computer.

Ok i/m going to really thick here but............how do you get the user name/password box on the screen? Ive created a shortcut on my desktop for the connection but unlike dial-up where you click connect and the password box appears the ADSL doesnt appear to have an equivilant box to enter password details................at no point during instalation have i been prompted to enter a password either......help pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

I hope you get a better answer from a PC user.

But, somewhere you should be able to specify what sort of connection you have. One of your choices should be "PPPoE". If you select that you will be able to enter a user name and password.

Post what operating system (Windows version) you are using so someone can give you specific instructions for your configuration.

I hope you get a better answer from a PC user.

But, somewhere you should be able to specify what sort of connection you have. One of your choices should be "PPPoE". If you select that you will be able to enter a user name and password.

Post what operating system (Windows version) you are using so someone can give you specific instructions for your configuration.

Windows XP

Edit......forget it ive cracked it..........re-installed everything, what i/d forgot to do was select the PPPoE option upon instalation. Would help if they gave you some form of instructions in the box with the modem. Many thanks once again.

Edited by thaiflyer1