Beatles Cafe - Mae Sa Valley

wjmark

I think restaurant reviews should have a posting of their own - not get lost in some odd topic about how big a review Charlies should get...

This Beatles place deserves a posting of its own - it came from that weird posting "Restaurant Reviews, Large or Small". Hope you don't mind, Wheel!

A friend recently visited a restaurant in Mae Rim. He said it was great and recommended it to me. My friend said, everything had a Beatles theme, including the plates, cups and tables.

The following is a review I found on a web site:

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/what_to_see/mae_sa_valley/

I Love The Beatles restaurant

Owner Kitiwat Leelayut, aka Jiab, was a professional rock guitarist for 30 years and has built his restaurant as a tribute to The Beatles. He's on site and very friendly. The food is good, a selection of Northern Thai dishes as well as noodle dishes, averaging around 40 to 60 baht a dish. There are three bungalows for those who wish to stay in the area. They include television, en-suite toilet and hot water for prices ranging from 800 to 1000 baht per night.

Well signposted from the main road, the Paradise Spa Resort and Restaurant provides luxurious accommodation (at the most expensive rates in Chiang Mai)

Directions Follow Chan Phuek road, opposite Chang Phuek Gate on the Northern side of the Moat, for approx. 10kms until you enter the built up area of Mae Rim town. The turn off to Samoeng, to the left just beyond the built up area, is well signposted and takes you straight into the Mae Sa valley within a few kilometres.

I live quite far from Mae Rim, but this sounds fun, and may give this place a try in the future.

Don't remember the tables and plates having a Beatles theme, but just about everything else does...

Food is very good, but the chef (don't know her name) cannot bring herself to make dishes spicy for westerners. She sees me eat the fresh green chillis in 'nam pla prik', but still can't cook it hot. Maybe it is because she is Northern - Southerners call Chiangmai food 'jood'.

Good chef 'though. Interesting menu - lots of northern dishes. Tried the ribs last time - thought they were great. Dishes a bit more like 60-80 if I remember correctly. Service is a little slow, especially when busy.

Turn left after Mae Rim - and it is about a kilometer past the X-Center on the right. Look for the signs - there is a cluster of them - but they are a bit pale and easy to miss.

Jiab is a very nice guy, and loves to pick up a guitar and let go with some Beatles song (I think he knows them all...). He performs around CM occasionally - fun performer.

I agree and the sub forum should be just for personal reviews and not for knocking other restaurants or making wise cracks.

Some of these are funny and should not be discouraged but there is a place for them on the main forum :)

My suggestion is for a sub forum that is for information from people who have actually visited an eating establishment and only that.

I agree and the sub forum should be just for personal reviews and not for knocking other restaurants or making wise cracks.

Some of these are funny and should not be discouraged but there is a place for them on the main forum :)

My suggestion is for a sub forum that is for information from people who have actually visited an eating establishment and only that.

So you are suggesting a forum specifically for 'reviews'? Interesting. Vely interesting...

I think I agree!

Some of these are funny and should not be discouraged but there is a place for them on the main forum :D

So you are suggesting a forum specifically for 'reviews'? Interesting. Vely interesting...

I think I agree!

Sorry I'd disagree, if we get the food forum and start putting restrictions on it already it will limit it.

I do a bit of cooking at home and CM is a great resource for finding those hard to find ingredients, for instance this year I found the Bombay Indian spice stall in Warawot market which I would have never known about if I hadn't been directed there by TV members.

An open food forum is better but maybe 'a food moderator' can keep restaurant reviews from going off topic.

I'd feel silly asking 'where can you get the best Eggs Benedict in CM' in the main forum but I'm saving that one for the Sub forum when we get it :)

Some of these are funny and should not be discouraged but there is a place for them on the main forum :D

I think I agree!

Sorry I'd disagree, if we get the food forum and start putting restrictions on it already it will limit it.

I do a bit of cooking at home and CM is a great resource for finding those hard to find ingredients, for instance this year I found the Bombay Indian spice stall in Warawot market which I would have never known about if I hadn't been directed there by TV members.

An open food forum is better but maybe 'a food moderator' can keep restaurant reviews from going off topic.

I'd feel silly asking 'where can you get the best Eggs Benedict in CM' in the main forum but I'm saving that one for the Sub forum when we get it :)

dont worry bout off topic and cheeky remarks, mods delete them if they need too

I think I agree!

Maybe I miss your point. The restriction would be to stop trolls, flaming and bitching. And that only

I think I agree!

Maybe I miss your point. The restriction would be to stop trolls, flaming and bitching. And that only

That sounds fine I thought that you wanted to restrict the food forum to restaurant reviews only, I'd agree with the other restrictions.

I totally agree, a food or combined food and restaurant Chiang Mai sub forum would be useful.

But as I have mentioned previously, it could end up as a promotional forum for restaurant owners, especially the sponsors who one in particular abuses his status as a sponsor when promoting his business interests.

Also the owners and their mates will verbally abuse anyone who makes any critical comments regarding their establishments or praises the opposition.

Unless things change, I don't think a Chiang Mai food sub forum would be of any benefit for the average Thaivisa member.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I totally agree, a food or combined food and restaurant Chiang Mai sub forum would be useful.

But as I have mentioned previously, it could end up as a promotional forum for restaurant owners, especially the sponsors who one in particular abuses his status as a sponsor when promoting his business interests.

Also the owners and their mates will verbally abuse anyone who makes any critical comments regarding their establishments or praises the opposition.

Unless things change, I don't think a Chiang Mai food sub forum would be of any benefit for the average Thaivisa member.

As I have said before I totally agree. But let's hope a sub-forum can be started as suggested. Let's give it a go. Give the mods a chance to keep out the riff raff. Now where did I get that idea from? Actually, I blame the parents.

• 2 months later...

Taking a chance by revisiting an old post here, but could you give me some directions? I've asked at a couple of Indian restaurants where I can get some things not available in supermarkets but have only been told a very vague "Warawot Market". I've wandered around and haven't come across anything that resembles an Indian supplies stall, but would be very grateful if you could give me a pointer.

Thanks in advance

Konini,

Haven't been there in a bit, but seem to recall that on the main ground floor of Warorot, about the middle of the floor, there are at least 2 vendors that have very large areas devoted to Indian food products and spices. And shouldn't be too hard to find, as they are of Indian descent, and dressed in Indian clothing.

PS Warorot Market is a generic term for the Chinatown area with locals. But there is a specific old 3 story wet market, and that is what I am referring to here.

Google it, or look in Lonely Planet, whatever- you'll find the actual market. The biggest wet market in CM.

Hope this helps.

Taking a chance by revisiting an old post here, but could you give me some directions? I've asked at a couple of Indian restaurants where I can get some things not available in supermarkets but have only been told a very vague "Warawot Market". I've wandered around and haven't come across anything that resembles an Indian supplies stall, but would be very grateful if you could give me a pointer.

Thanks in advance

Not the easiest place to give directions to but I'll try, it's in the dry goods market pretty much opposite where all the tuk tuk's and songtaews park, if you take one of the entrances here and then do a left into the dry goods market it is along the 1st row of stalls. If you ask for Bombay or for kruang teet India I'm pretty sure most of the people selling there will know of it. The proprietors speak very good English.

I hope this helps

Thanks in advance

Not the easiest place to give directions to but I'll try, it's in the dry goods market pretty much opposite where all the tuk tuk's and songtaews park, if you take one of the entrances here and then do a left into the dry goods market it is along the 1st row of stalls. If you ask for Bombay or for kruang teet India I'm pretty sure most of the people selling there will know of it. The proprietors speak very good English.

I hope this helps

Thanks for that - I was starting to think I'd have to ask someone to send things over. I'm sure I'll find it. Very much appreciated.