Al Hussain - Location Unknown- Worth Finding

wjmark

Called MealsonWheels4U and tried two different meals from Al Hussain. I don't know where it is, because, as I said, I 'ordered in'.

Fantastic. I only have really liked New Dehli so far in CM, but this is great. Mike at MW4U told me it is more Pakastani style than 'Indian'. Seems like it...

First meal:

3 Pakora shrimp (10bt/ea)- some of the best shrimp I have had in CM. Big, crunchy, taste like shrimp, with a very nice batter. These would have been even better eaten fresh in the restaurant! I ordered 10 on our next meal...

A mutton samosa 35bt - Biggest I have ever seen - full (FULL) of minced mutton. Mild tasting, and could have used a few peas in the mix - it is all minced mutton, but went well with the generous portion of green chutney.

All the dishes are generous here, and lower priced than most other 'Indian' places.

Had a dal, and a kari pakora - 70bt each - cheap. Both were very good - I had asked for spicy, and it was there. The kari pakora is a yoghurt gravy curry (not a khorma - more yogurt based) with little channa-flour dumplings. The dumplings were a little stodgy (and would have been at the restaurant too), but the sauce was light and just perfectly sour. Yum - one of my favourite dishes anywhere, and this was well done.

Keema Paratha was fine - authentic, but not exciting to me.

The dish that seemed most Pakistani to me was the Mutton Sheek Boti (140bt). Generally I like my lamb grilled, rather than stewed. And with this dish I didn't really know what I was ordering. What arrived was an again generous portion of lamb cubes. But not grilled. I think they must have marinated the lamb in lots of spice for a long time, and then slow cooked it - braised with liquid. It was tender, a little grainy from all the spice, fell apart as you ate it, and it was fantastic. It reminded me of a slow cooked Pakistani 'lamb and lentil' dish I used to eat at a Canadian 'taxi stand' food stall.

Did I say generous? Both orders came with FREE onions, cucs and tomatoes, lime slices, and a very delicious pickle - not tart and scary like some pickles - really approachable for those who have never liked an 'Indian' pickle before. Probably home made. And free...

SECOND MEAL -

10 of those shrimp pakoras.

Vegetable curry - very good. Very light and fresh. Crunchy mix of vegies and not too many potatoes!

And a mutton biriyani - again fresh, aromatic and generous.

I wish I knew where this place was!

ps - Their prices are going up (a little), and MW4U may not reflect that yet

Edited by wjmark

Is it the same owners as the Al-Hussain Restaurant on Soi 5 in Sukhumvit area of Bangkok?

I have no idea, but you reminded me that I really like that one too - I wrote a review about that too last summer!

I would guess not - the flavours were very different - I will ask when I finally go to this one.

That one in Bangkok is great, don't you think?

I think I saw it the other week in Anusarn market. On right as you go in from Changklan, in the row of shophouses (in the craft market area).

Not totally sure but I think it was there.

A google search gives the address as Anusarn market, looks like Sally is correct.

thanks!

Yes we think its great and very affordable. Our new spot is the Bangla House next to Bumrungrad Hospital in BKK. Very good Bangladeshi, Indian and Paki food!!

The second to last word is a very offensive word to people of that country .In the Uk you would be in trouble if you made that remark in public.

The owner is actually Mr. Shah. and he is from Pakistan. Its located at the Anusarn market near O'Malleys. He has just opened a huge restaurant opposite Shangri La on Changklan Road. When i spoke to him a few months back, he told me that he has a cook from South India and was going to serve Dosa. Stopped by the shop a few days back and the menu seems more Arabian than anything else. A lot of different Kebabs and some Mediterranean dishes. Prices seemed a bit steep. BUT no Dosa. Left dissapointed.

The owner also has a shop opposite Al Farooq hotel on Chareon Prathet Road which sells Punjabi/Indian sweets. they can do anything made to order such as jelebis, rasgula, gulab jamun etc etc. Prices alright and worth checking out.

TB..

Edited by tigerbeer

The owner is actually Mr. Shah. and he is from Pakistan. Its located at the Anusarn market near O'Malleys. He has just opened a huge restaurant opposite Shangri La on Changklan Road. When i spoke to him a few months back, he told me that he has a cook from South India and was going to serve Dosa. Stopped by the shop a few days back and the menu seems more Arabian than anything else. A lot of different Kebabs and some Mediterranean dishes. Prices seemed a bit steep. BUT no Dosa. Left dissapointed.

The owner also has a shop opposite Al Farooq hotel on Chareon Prathet Road which sells Punjabi/Indian sweets. they can do anything made to order such as jelebis, rasgula, gulab jamun etc etc. Prices alright and worth checking out.

TB..

Thanks for this!

So is it Khun Sunni from Nepal, or Khun Shah from Pakistan? hmmm... tastes Pakistani

When he gets his S. Indian chef I would love a Ghee Rhoast (Dosa cooked in Ghee!) - large and crispy - two chutneys and a sambar - yum

Two questions:

One, is the menu the same as posted on MoW4U? Because that is what I ordered from, and it seems quite reasonably priced to me.

and Two - Ras Malai?

TB..

Thanks for this!

So is it Khun Sunni from Nepal, or Khun Shah from Pakistan? hmmm... tastes Pakistani

When he gets his S. Indian chef I would love a Ghee Rhoast (Dosa cooked in Ghee!) - large and crispy - two chutneys and a sambar - yum

Two questions:

One, is the menu the same as posted on MoW4U? Because that is what I ordered from, and it seems quite reasonably priced to me.

and Two - Ras Malai?

Khun Shah definitely the owner.

i have never seen the menu at his shop at Anusarn market so I can't really tell you if its the same as MOW or not. The shop of his i went to is a new one and it seems to be more Arabian. He said he already had a south indian cook. but so far no south indian food anywhere.

RasMalai. and very yummy!

TB..

TB..

Glad my eyes weren't deceiving me I thought I saw the restaurant on Changkland rd did a google search and it came up Anusarn Market, I've had some great Middle Eastern food in London and it's been totally different to any other cuisine that I've tasted so it's a shame that you found it dissapointing. :)

... snip ... is it Khun Sunni from Nepal, or Khun Shah from Pakistan? hmmm... tastes Pakistani ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WJMark, and Khun TigerBeer,

Wow, our apologies, we may have gone to another restaurant (a few storefronts away from Al Hussain) thinking it was Al Hussain ! Sorry about that. I'll check on the name of the Nepali owned restaurant when I'm in the area again.

We'll also write the moderators and ask them to take down our original post since it may not be accurate.

best, ~o:37;

... snip ... is it Khun Sunni from Nepal, or Khun Shah from Pakistan? hmmm... tastes Pakistani ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WJMark, and Khun TigerBeer,

Wow, our apologies, we may have gone to another restaurant (a few storefronts away from Al Hussain) thinking it was Al Hussain ! Sorry about that. I'll check on the name of the Nepali owned restaurant when I'm in the area again.

We'll also write the moderators and ask them to take down our original post since it may not be accurate.

best, ~o:37;

"Hello? Food Moderator? We need a food moderator here!"

Oh wait. We don't have one...

yet?

has a cook from South India and was going to serve Dosa. Stopped by the shop a few days back and the menu seems more Arabian than anything else. A lot of different Kebabs and some Mediterranean dishes. Prices seemed a bit steep. BUT no Dosa. Left dissapointed.

I've had some great Middle Eastern food in London and it's been totally different to any other cuisine that I've tasted so it's a shame that you found it dissapointing. :)

I'm going to step up to Tigerbrewski's defense here. I love M.E. food too, but if I had my heart set on a Dosa, and couldn't get it, I would be disappointed too - no matter how good the kebabs and grape-leaves were!

I've even been disappointed when I finally do find a Dosa, and it isn't crunchy enough.

Having a 'thing' for Dosa is a bit like having a 'thing' for Pizza...

Edited by wjmark

I'm going to step up to Tigerbrewski's defense here. I love M.E. food too, but if I had my heart set on a Dosa, and couldn't get it, I would be disappointed too - no matter how good the kebabs and grape-leaves were!

I've even been disappointed when I finally do find a Dosa, and it isn't crunchy enough.

Having a 'thing' for Dosa is a bit like having a 'thing' for Pizza...

Thank you for that wjmark , yes i was dissapointed for not finding dosa when the owner said dosa would be served there. nothing against middle eastern food. i like any food :) still looking for Baklava if its available in Chiang Mai. i travel to Malaysia quite a bit (thanks to the CNX-KL route by Airasia) and get my dosas there. I have tried dosas in Phahurat, Bangkok but the curry that comes with it just doesn't do it for me. You guys could try Dosa King in case you go there. I like my dosas with fish/chicken curry or sambar dall with sambal (local malaysian chili paste), and coconut/chili chutney. hmm! rava dosa made crispy with cut green chilis and onions!

362126857537682bbcb.jpg

TB..

Tigerbeer, could you share with us your favorite Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai? I've only found one or two that I enjoy.

UG to tell you the truth, i make my own indian/punjabi food or the maid does at home. i have not tried New Dehli restaurant which many people seem to enjoy as posted on several threads. I have however eaten at Royal India a few times and do enjoy their food. Whole Earth is the other place I tried and that was a long time ago. Not much experience to suggest the best indian restaurants.