Is "google Sites" Any Good If You Want An Website

bow

Is "google sites" any good, if you want your own website ?

You get what you pay for, and in this case you don't pay anything. But on rare occations you do get good stuff for free. What about google sites ?

Edited by bow

Depends what you want it for.

If it's just for personal use, to play a little with it, it might be fun!

Commercially, forget about it! Go for proper paid hosting!

If you really want to learn the ropes, for peanuts you can get fully comprehensive hosting, including databases, ftp, scripts, e-mails, the whole works for 12 US$/year (400 Baht!).

Still wouldn't use that for commercial use due to reliability/uptime/customer support issues, but a great start nevertheless!

If you really want to learn the ropes, for peanuts you can get fully comprehensive hosting, including databases, ftp, scripts, e-mails, the whole works for 12 US$/year (400 Baht!).

Still wouldn't use that for commercial use due to reliability/uptime/customer support issues, but a great start nevertheless!

Can you chuck some details my way please. I just need a one page job with a click through email to a Gmail account which will be something like [email protected]

Can you chuck some details my way please. I just need a one page job with a click through email to a Gmail account which will be something like [email protected]

And don't forget, you can use Google Apps for any email address, which means you can have your email delivered into the same web interface as you are used to with gmail. It's free for up to 50 accounts I believe. Look for the Standard edition.

Totster :)

I'd stay away from anything with google if you can. They are collecting personal data on a never before seen level. How do you think they serve you those contextual ads in your gmail? They read trough your mails. Same with all the other apps by Google. You'd be amazed at their ability to know what you are doing at anytime.

Better with a personal mail on a website.

Hmm.. yeah often on a shared server supporting 500+ other websites, email etc... with no redundancy (server goes = hours/days downtime until recover backup - if they even exist) running several services that could become vunerable at anytime (FTP,SSH, POP3, IMAP4, Apache/HTTP)... Don't believe the negative hype around. Google doesnt read your email like you put it, their software scans for keywords and chooses suitable contextual advertising when it plucks the email from their storage, if you say it like that even Horde/Neomail any webmail "reads your email", how does it get from the hard drive, though the operating systems, through the application layer php etc.. it is read from the disk.. Relevant ads or not? I'd choose relevant..

Google mail rocks. And the commercial edition $50 per user per year (min 1 user) includes 25gb, no ads and an SLA

You'd be amazed at their ability to know what you are doing at anytime.

I'm going for a beer... i bet when i get in and log onto google tonight and i'll see ads for hangover cures.. hmmm

You'd be amazed at how people jump on the bandwagon of speculation..

Edited by mattcodes

Not sure about that. Google's security (and reliability) is light years ahead of what most people can do running their own mail server. Gmail also gives you encrypted connections to the mail server and (optionally) webmail etc, so there is less chance your mail getting read by third parties (from your end, anyway).

Google has a hel_l of a lot to lose if they get caught abusing customers data, especially since their customers now include a lot of government organisations.

I have opened an google sites site.

One good thing about googles sites, from my personal point of view, is that it instantly gets you out there, on the net/web.

You can walk into an internet cafe, anywhere in the world, write my very, very long address - and there I am, on the f..... net. (I think!!!)

For me, this fact, works as an inducement to start building a site, instead of just talking about doing it.