A Better Phantom

canuckamuck

Has anyone here done an engine swap on a Phantom. I know the Phantom has its fans and detractors. I have always felt it is a nice looking bike with an inappropriate engine. I understand that it is a reliable workhorse, but a little extra zip on the top and bottom end would make it a wonderful bike in and out of town.

I was thinking about finding an older model and swapping in a 250 or 400 twin and doing some cosmetic mods as well.

What would be the pros and cons of this project.

Be advised I am more of an idealist than an expert on motorcycle engineering and specs.

A Phantom with a twin would be a 400cc Honda Shadow. What about wheels, suspension - you'd need to change those out too. Why not just buy a Shadow for 150,000 - 200,000. There's some nice ones around.

Edited by Netfan

How about a big Chinese engine? They are cheap aren't they? A Lifan 250?

Modifying a frame and drivetrain to mate with a engine not designed from it is not simple.. Its almost easier to make a new frame.. Essentially your talking about completely redesigning and rebuilding a bike.

Steeds can be found from 70 odd thousand.. A real nice steed 600 can be found for 120k..

The type of work your talking about could swallow 10's of 1000's real easy, to be left with a frankenstien bike no one would want and possibly not be safe..

How about a big Chinese engine? They are cheap aren't they? A Lifan 250?

Modifying a frame and drivetrain to mate with a engine not designed from it is not simple.. Its almost easier to make a new frame.. Essentially your talking about completely redesigning and rebuilding a bike.

Steeds can be found from 70 odd thousand.. A real nice steed 600 can be found for 120k..

The type of work your talking about could swallow 10's of 1000's real easy, to be left with a frankenstien bike no one would want and possibly not be safe..

Hmm - makes sense. And very not legal too!

Ok, Thanks guys, I am not surprised by the responses, I like the look of the Steed and it's a cool name too. I guess when I am ready I'll start shopping for one of those.

It really is too bad Honda isn't putting anything out in Thailand more impressive than a CBR 150R. I guess they like seeing Kawasaki monopolizing the 250 to 600 CC range. But not even Kawasaki sells a cruiser bigger than 175. big open hole in the market IMO

Why build something if it is available and affordable in Thailand... 250cc V-twin

Richard,

Have you looked under the chrome cover of the rear exhaust? Ie. the bit that looks like the rear exhaust pipe is actually a cover for a tacky "Briggs and Stratton" looking rear exhaust pipe.

I was exited to have found this bike until I looked more closely.

Edited by VocalNeal

Exhaust covers are not uncommon, I can give you a good selection of motorcycle which use it. Basically it helps the chromium to stay clear and will last longer. Most chromed exhaust systems have problems that the steel of the pipe has other shrink and expansion properties that chromium during heating. Therefore most chromed exhaust pipes not last long...

For what it is worth a local mechanic in Phuket who does various work on bikes and came highly recommended suggested when I made the same observations as you about the Phantom needing a bit more top and bottom torque suggested boring the engine out to 250 CC. I did just that and it cost about 6000 Baht and the difference is considerable. Not mind shattering but an improvement.

Just thought I might add, that I saw a Phantom with a V-twin at Kadsuenkaew the other day, It looked pretty darn good except for all the cheesy extra chrome bits the guy had added. I was in a hurry and couldn't discern how many CC, but there was certainly no room to spare.

So I guess it can be done, the question remains, is it worthwhile? I don't think it is, unless you already own a Phantom and are bored with it.

Just thought I might add, that I saw a Phantom with a V-twin at Kadsuenkaew the other day, It looked pretty darn good except for all the cheesy extra chrome bits the guy had added. I was in a hurry and couldn't discern how many CC, but there was certainly no room to spare.

So I guess it can be done, the question remains, is it worthwhile? I don't think it is, unless you already own a Phantom and are bored with it.

Could that have been a fake V-twin, just some chrome cylinder covers? Seen that kind of thing before. Fake extra exhaust pipe to look like two exhausts . . . . Thais are quite good at pimping their Phantoms.

Could that have been a fake V-twin, just some chrome cylinder covers? Seen that kind of thing before. Fake extra exhaust pipe to look like two exhausts . . . . Thais are quite good at pimping their Phantoms.

Well the first thing I noticed was the sound, it had a pretty good resonance. Sounded like a bike bike, but I admit I was in a hurry and couldn't confirm it was real. I never imagined someone would bother with a fake twin (pathetic if it's true, only in Thailand eh). I'll never know I guess.

Just my 2 cents,

I rode a kawasaki boss for a while and liked it but like you i found that it lacked that lil bit extra power. I found someone with a kawasaki vulcan 400 and bought it from him. Now i got a bike with more power and i love it. There is a but however its a lot heavier and in traffic its harder to handle. Once you got an open road or good moving traffic its much nicer.

I would if i were you ride a heavier bike for a while to be sure of it, and it all depends on what kind of rides that you make and what kind of traffic. A heavier bike is not only more powerfull but handles also differently heavier just mind that.

Could of been a Honda Rebel you saw....very nice bikes, great round town. Can bore up to 300cc.

I've been offered a 200 > 250 conversion for 9,000 for the Phantom, seems very expensive but at least it's possible to do something about the sluggishness. the frame, forks, tyres brakes etc. could easily handle a little extra power. Anyone had a cheaper quote? Let me know... My bike had vibration and chain noise, since I got new tyres sprockets and chain it's gone.