Mp3s, P2ps Called To Boycott

Thomas_Merton

I realise this is controversial and therefore fully accept if the mods delete this thread.

There are often threads on this forum discussing methods of downloading mp3 files via p2p system. Posters must also be aware there are many pending legal actions by organisation such as RIAA who allege those who download and use mp3 files, DVD copies, etc are infringing copyright.

However there are those who disagree with this approach and also question its legality. Those in opposition argue that the distribution of music via P2P does not, as alleged by RIAA, reduce the sale of CDs, but rather the “free advertising” value of these downloads etc. enhance sales of CDs and that P2P users are major contributors to the entertainment industry not “pirates”.

In order to demonstrate this value P2P users are to the entertainment industry, there is a world wide boycott of this industry proposed for next week - last week in April - 24th up until and including 30th

Please see, for further details:

http://www.boycott-riaa.com

http://www.p2punite.net

http://www.eff.org

BOYCOTT THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY: last week in April - 24th up until and including 30th

Edit: Fixed the links - RDN

Edited by RDN

nice idea, only I never buy anything  :o

BTW, the links above only work if you remove the Semi colons at the end of them. Also only the middle link had relevant info on this topic.

Sorry about the semicolons - too late to edit now.

As to the relevance - matter of opinion, although you are correct in saying the middle one is directly related to the topic. The others provide background information in order that members can make up their own minds on this, not so straight forward, topic.

There was a great article in the Bangkok Post a week or so ago,about how the entertainment industry tried to ban the radio,as it would hurt the sales of sheet music.

All through the development history of new technology they have tried to stop it with court action,including the VHS recorder.

Yes Mr Merton - the first and last links had lots of good info on the file sharing community.

Personally I cannot see file sharing lasting on this scale for too long. Sure, there will always be clever bods who find ways around the law. And probably ways around the hardware limitations the US is now forcing on electronic equipment. But I reckon we have had it good for too long already.

And besides, these days (in the UK) there are good services that will deliver you a movie from a large archive along with a pizza, and a prepaid return envelope. I'd rather do that that DL a copy. For anything really good, I'd be happy paying for a nice top quality dvd with box and bumpf.... I just hope that the entertainment industry tries to compete with good products well priced and available, rather than sueing lots of little people.

The volume of file sharing dropped when people were able to buy 0.99 mp3s of good songs without having to pay $15 for the whole cd.

Personally, I buy all my music...once. If a cd or tape gets buggered I have no problem d/l a new one. I've agreed with SOCAN to pay royalties for streaming the music over internet radio, even though half of my material is public domain.

File sharing isn't illegal, what is done with the files may be, but that's the fault of the individual.

cv

Its all just a giant con by music company luddites. as bartender said they have been complainng for a long long time about new technology.

remember the video player was going to kill the cinema? chicken little has nothing on this lot. it would be intereting to find out what people are actually downloading, whether the majority is music they already own or its new stuff.

I just finished converting all my cd albums into mp3 format. Still got the singles and lps and cassettes to go - that is what i will be downloading. I paid for the original, i am therefore entitled to store and use that in any personal way i see fit. For the industry to suggest otherwise is big brother.