Aluminium Welder Wanted

my friend I

And help we try to do.

Unfortunately, not once in my life have I required to get aluminium welding done, let alone in Chiang Rai.

In his position, if no help is forthcoming on the forum, I'd drive along the Super Highway until I saw a likely looking workshop then I'd go in and ask.

And help we try to do.

Unfortunately, not once in my life have I required to get aluminium welding done, let alone in Chiang Rai.

In his position, if no help is forthcoming on the forum, I'd drive along the Super Highway until I saw a likely looking workshop then I'd go in and ask.

I have been looking without any result. Got plenty of laughs tho.

I don't know anyone that does. However, the guy that supplies me with my CO2 gas and other welding stuff sells Argon gas and TIG machines. I'll ask him tomorrow who his buyers are for the Argon and post here with whatever answer he gives me.

Okay, good man. Here's the skinny based on info from my supplier:

Leaving town on the super highway headed to Mae Sai, cross the big river bridge and start looking on your left. Before you get to the first intersection with traffic lights after the bridge (the turn to Rom Kok Resort), there is supposed to be a big shop on the left that advertises in English. My fella said that the sign says "Stanless". He wrote that down on a paper. I asked him if he meant "stainless" for stainless steel and he said he meant "Stanless". I dunno about that. He says the sign also says "P. D." They weld stainless and aluminum as well as typical steel. According to him, it is a big shop and it is obvious from the road that it is a steel fabrication place. He didn't have a phone number for them.

If this doesn't pan out, let me know. I use another major shop on the opposite side of town. That guy has a shear, a break and a roller and he has a lot of contacts in this area. He knows everyone that does anything with metal and steel here. He's kind of out of my way today but if you need more help, I'll go have a cup of coffee with him in a day or two and get some more answers.

There are two big steel shops on the way to the new bus station. Both are open buildings and you can see the steel-working machines inside and both are AFTER you have left the city proper. The guy I do business with and knows all of the folks in the business is in the first one, which is a big orange colored building. Both are on the right as you are headed to the new bus station. The first one (orange building) is right across the street from a gas station. Can’t recall the brand of that station. Great people in there. They do all of my shearing and bending. They also sell me all of the scrap strips I need, which is a lot cheaper than buying the flat strips in any of the retail shops in town. I get it at about half the price. Anyway, that is the shop that I will go to for more answers if the first answer doesn’t get you what you need. If you’re in that area, feel free to stop in and ask them. They don’t speak English but if you have a Thai with you who can translate, you’ll be fine.

Sorry about any typos. I’m in a hurry. Finished a nice steel bed for the mother-in-law and I’m trying to get it painted today while the sun is shining.

Anyone proficient in TIG welding on stainless should be able to turn down the amps on their machine, and using a long, thin strip of the aluminum you're welding (for the same alloy, for good bonding.) just do the same thing they do with stainless. If they did one test weld, they would probably have it down. (Amps WAY down)

• 3 months later...

no this will not give you a good weld!!!!

stainless uses dc

aluminum uses Ac

there is a massive difference in welding aluminum!!! you need to use a rounded electrode and then with your filler rod control the arch. this is two handed control of the arch where stainless is very simple!!

an easy way around this is to find some "techno weld" it is classed as a weld but you only need to achive a temp of 350 c meaning you can do this with a standard plumbers tourch.

you tin (coat) both surfaces then heat and press together, this weld is in many cases stronger than a TIG weld.

I hopes this helps

I was in a past life a coded TIG welder on stainless pressure vessels and pipe work. so was classed as an advanced welder, as for welding aluminum that is a true art form!!!! personaly I kept some techno weld in my tool box for those moments when a weld was needed!! I know snap on use to stock it, dont know where in Thailand you would get it though

Anyone proficient in TIG welding on stainless should be able to turn down the amps on their machine, and using a long, thin strip of the aluminum you're welding (for the same alloy, for good bonding.) just do the same thing they do with stainless. If they did one test weld, they would probably have it down. (Amps WAY down)

• 1 year later...

Hi.....do you know if these brazing rods (techno weld, HTS-2000 etc) will give a strong enough bond to use them to repair an aluminium motorcycle frame...??

no this will not give you a good weld!!!!

stainless uses dc

aluminum uses Ac

there is a massive difference in welding aluminum!!! you need to use a rounded electrode and then with your filler rod control the arch. this is two handed control of the arch where stainless is very simple!!

an easy way around this is to find some "techno weld" it is classed as a weld but you only need to achive a temp of 350 c meaning you can do this with a standard plumbers tourch.

you tin (coat) both surfaces then heat and press together, this weld is in many cases stronger than a TIG weld.

I hopes this helps

I was in a past life a coded TIG welder on stainless pressure vessels and pipe work. so was classed as an advanced welder, as for welding aluminum that is a true art form!!!! personaly I kept some techno weld in my tool box for those moments when a weld was needed!! I know snap on use to stock it, dont know where in Thailand you would get it though

Okay, good man. Here's the skinny based on info from my supplier:

Leaving town on the super highway headed to Mae Sai, cross the big river bridge and start looking on your left. Before you get to the first intersection with traffic lights after the bridge (the turn to Rom Kok Resort), there is supposed to be a big shop on the left that advertises in English. My fella said that the sign says "Stanless". He wrote that down on a paper. I asked him if he meant "stainless" for stainless steel and he said he meant "Stanless". I dunno about that. He says the sign also says "P. D." They weld stainless and aluminum as well as typical steel. According to him, it is a big shop and it is obvious from the road that it is a steel fabrication place. He didn't have a phone number for them.

If this doesn't pan out, let me know. I use another major shop on the opposite side of town. That guy has a shear, a break and a roller and he has a lot of contacts in this area. He knows everyone that does anything with metal and steel here. He's kind of out of my way today but if you need more help, I'll go have a cup of coffee with him in a day or two and get some more answers.

There are two big steel shops on the way to the new bus station. Both are open buildings and you can see the steel-working machines inside and both are AFTER you have left the city proper. The guy I do business with and knows all of the folks in the business is in the first one, which is a big orange colored building. Both are on the right as you are headed to the new bus station. The first one (orange building) is right across the street from a gas station. Can’t recall the brand of that station. Great people in there. They do all of my shearing and bending. They also sell me all of the scrap strips I need, which is a lot cheaper than buying the flat strips in any of the retail shops in town. I get it at about half the price. Anyway, that is the shop that I will go to for more answers if the first answer doesn’t get you what you need. If you’re in that area, feel free to stop in and ask them. They don’t speak English but if you have a Thai with you who can translate, you’ll be fine.

Sorry about any typos. I’m in a hurry. Finished a nice steel bed for the mother-in-law and I’m trying to get it painted today while the sun is shining.

Maybe you can help me as well? I have a klong at my house and want to have a simple steel bridge so i can walk across it. It needs to be about 5 1/2 meters long and about 70 cm or so wide and strong enough for my 100 KG fat butt to walk across without breaking it...for weird reasons i can not put supports in the middle so it needs to span the entire 5 meters laying flat on the ground on both sides...sounds simple but....one guy came out and quoted me 6000 baht which sounds kinda high to me...i went to two other shops hoping to at least get a ballpark quote to compare but they didn't even want to attempt it. The guy who quoted me 6000 baht is talking about using 3 inch steel....i tried to explain to him that i don't care if it is new steel or scrap steel as it is just a little bridge and i just want something that will last a while that i can walk across once or twice a day....but not sure if he understood..

So...what would you do? Do you think one of the shops you mention might be able to make something out of some scraps or hopefully a little less than 6000 baht? Or is 6000 a reasonable price? Thanks for advice as I don't really have a clue.

Turn of the "think baht" process and work it out in dollars or pounds.

6000B for that type of job sounds very reasonable to me.

Ok..i just don't know steel costs which was why i was trying to get a second quote. I have no idea if new steel is a lot more than it would be if they made it of "scrap" steel. Doesn't much matter to me which they use.

Why don't you give Kandahar a PM or email?

He's an experienced tradesman who often does steel work at home so would certainly know suppliers.

I mean to call and see him myself and find out why he's not around but have been gallivanting around the wretched planet again and haven't been able to find the time.

Why don't you give Kandahar a PM or email?

He's an experienced tradesman who often does steel work at home so would certainly know suppliers.

I mean to call and see him myself and find out why he's not around but have been gallivanting around the wretched planet again and haven't been able to find the time.

OK good suggestion..will do.