Changing Jobs In Thailand

I am a 47 yr old Canadian male. I have been working for a 5 star hotel in Phuket for the past 18 months. The Hotel's HR Dept looked after all my visa and work permit issues. I left the Phuket Hotel on Dec 5th and moved to BKK to start a new job with a different company on Dec 7th. I have a NON-Immigrant B Visa Stamp (not a decal) in my passport and the multiple entry NON-Immigrant B visa expires Dec 31, 2010. Just under 1 year from now. My tourist visa has also been renewed by HR and is valid til Feb 22nd 2010.

My question is, Do I have to leave the country to obtain another Non-Immigrant B Visa to start working for the new company in BKK. I have all the documents from the new company here in BKK and I have to decide if going to Laos is the right decision.

I have heard many different stories and I know someone on this forum should know the correct procedure.

Thank you, rolleyes.gif

No, you have a valid multiple non-B. This does not become invalid when you lose your job. Only when you are on an extension of stay based on your employment do yo have to leave the country.

With all the documents and the work permit you might be able to get a one year extension of stay from immigration, so you don't have to leave the country every 90 days. You would need to report your address every 90 days.

But how can you have a valid non-B and a tourist visa? Can you scan your stamps so we can check, something is not right here.

That is not a multiple non-B but a multiple re-entry permit, which is something different.

It seems you were on an extension of stay on a non-immigrant B, valid till 31 December 2010. That permission to stay expired when you lost your job.

Edit:

The other scan is of your 90 day receipt and not useful.

Did you left the country after you lost your job?

You are currently on overstay since Dec 5 (last day of work). The fine is 500 baht per day. You also seem to have been working illegally since December 7 from your post. Did you apply for a work permit?

Believe you may have just moved on the 7th and did not actually start work yet? You will need to obtain a new non immigrant B visa prior to the work permit being issued. If your exit is not questioned you need to be sure to enter using your new visa rather than that invalid re-entry permit.

Best is for you to apply for a work permit, if your new employer didn't do that already. With the receipt from teh labout office that you will get a work permit you can than apply for a new non-B visa abroad.

As has been pointed out, currently you are illegal in the country and working illegally, unless you have a work permit for the new employer.

You are currently on overstay since Dec 5 (last day of work). The fine is 500 baht per day. You also seem to have been working illegally since December 7 from your post. Did you apply for a work permit?

Believe you may have just moved on the 7th and did not actually start work yet? You will need to obtain a new non immigrant B visa prior to the work permit being issued. If your exit is not questioned you need to be sure to enter using your new visa rather than that invalid re-entry permit.

What is a multiple Non B visa? In my case, my employer wants to cancel my employment from his present company and re employ me in his different company. I if cancel my present job and wp, then what will happen my 1 yr Non B visa which I'm holding right now?

Thanks

I already have all the legal documents to apply for a new Non Imm B Visa. Everything is in Thai & it looks like about 50 pages. This is the procedure I followed when applying for the same visa 2 years ago. My major concern is the border. Will I be held up at the border and inconvenience the other expats I'm traveling.

What should I expect at the border.

Edited by portico504

Check if you find a paper between the documents that is called WP3, without one you will not get a new visa. If applying in the region, you will need one.

As for your concern, if immigration spots your overstay they will simply ask you to pay it. It might mean a 10 minute delay. Immigration will not spot the overstay on its own.

If Immigration spots him leaving without the extension of stay being canceled he may have to return to do so/pay overstay before being allowed to exit the country. But I suspect the fact he has a re-entry permit will likely avoid questions.