Briton Detained On Drug Charges

george

English tourist detained on drug charges

PATTAYA: -- Acting on a tip-off, Pattaya Immigration police raided a rented apartment belonging to Darren Joseph Handley, 32, an English tourist, and a Thai woman, Nucharin Arksonpradit, 25. The pair were smoking methamphetamine pills, also known as ya ba, when police arrived.

Police searched the room and found another six pills, a small pack of marijuana, five joints inside a cigarette packet, 20 blue pills, 100 needles and 10 bottles of liquid. The officers were unable to immediately identify the substances and later sent them for testing.

Handley told police that all the drugs were his, adding that some he bought in England before arriving in Pattaya on February 21 this year. Handley went on to say that he purchased the ya ba and marijuana in Pattaya for his own use and that was all that was left of his stash.

He said he had noticed that the dealer had not been arrested and asked how police managed to find him.

Police charged Handley with possession and use of class 1 and 5 illegal substances and Nucharin Arksonpradit with using a class 1 drug. Further charges are pending following an analysis of the other substances found in the apartment. Both were remanded into custody pending a court appearance.

--Pattaya Mail 2005-04-22

What a plonker. Just about anyone who can muster the sense to fill in a passport application form must know what happens if you do drugs in Thailand. But no, still they come, "its only for personal use", "why are you arresting me and not the dealer", (because you are easily spotted you prat) and so on and on.

Next we will have "My Thailand Prison ######"splashed all over the UK press, MPs pressing for his release etc etc.

The trouble is, the rest of us get tarred with the same brush. No wonder the Thais regard us as drunks, sex maniacs and junkies.

Good to get that off my chest......

English tourist detained on drug charges

Handley told police that all the drugs were his, adding that some he bought in England before arriving in Pattaya

puts himself onto a smuggling charge. :o

He said he had noticed that the dealer had not been arrested and asked how police managed to find him.

--Pattaya Mail 2005-04-22

Yeah, I wonder? :D

Will they ever learn?