Police Chief: Possible Violence During New Year's Holiday

webfact

Acting Police Chief: Reports of Possible Violence During NY

UPDATE : 25 December 2009

Acting Police Chief Police General Pateep Tanprasert reveals that intelligence reports indicate possible violent disturbances during the New Year's holiday. Reports indicate that targets include Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009/12/25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The Police Chief is not a good actor.

No worse than a previous acting police chief's investigation of the mysterious '06 Bkk New Years bombs (following Mr Thaksin's ouster). The then acting chief was eventually sacked after blaming 'muslim militants' and generally not making any headway beyond offering 'convenient' red-herrings down blind paths...

"Two more bombs exploded almost immediately after midnight in the vicinity of CentralWorld. Three Serbs, two Englishmen, two Thais, and one Irishman were among those injured. The wave of bombings claimed the lives of three people."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Bangkok_bombings

Edit: *Not* suggesting there will be a repeat, rather there *is* a precedent, sadly. :)

Edited by baht&sold

Some can have a laff if they wish.

However, doubt the foreign tourists or Thais maimed (or those killed) in the '06 New Years blasts would share such a blase' sentiment...

The new acting chief would be irresponsible to ignore or not forewarn of any potential for violence. Let's hope he's wrong and be glad he's on alert.

Meanwhile, suggest all just get about their holidays as normal and try to enjoy.

Not fear mongering either but //edited by Admin// Thaksin squarely wants his loot back, pronto (and apparently there's no shortage of those willing to join in with hopes or promises to share in the spoils). Also, this time last year there wasn't an imminent date for confiscation of almost 2 billion USD in assets looming.

Confiscation verdict date was moved up yesterday to mid-Feb due to more witnesses etc being called. That's the final call.

Unfortunately, between now and Feb, it's coming. Tic-Toc...

Anupong confident no violence during New Year holidays

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda Friday expressed confidence that no untoward incident will happen during the New Year holidays.

"I think nothing will happen. I expect no untoward incident," Anupong said.

He said the security agencies will hold a meeting on Monday to decide whether the Army should deploy soldiers to help police keep security during the long New Year holidays or not.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

He said the security agencies will hold a meeting on Monday to decide whether the Army should deploy soldiers to help police keep security during the long New Year holidays or not.

Or do we have to read,to decide if their will be violence.Once again a sample of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is up to here in thai government.

I would think that having the military out in force would not be a plus. Do they have a credible threat?

The unfortunate decision to put the military out in force new year's holiday indicates a definite concern of a threat, if not actual intelligence of a threat (did I say 'intelligence'?)

As has been pointed out and as we know, New Year's bombings are not simply a threat or some sort of diversion - they are real. In the present situation and circumstances, the 76 bn loot, anything can happen.

As Anupong has better info that I do, I'd prepare for the worst, especially after the Pattaya bum's rush by the reds of Asean leaders off the roof of the conference center by choppers (enuff intelligently on standby) and the subsequent Songkran riots viciously precipitated by the reds.   

Tragically and unfortunately, past events mandate that the government presently take all proper anticipatory, precautionary measures against the money mad reds.

Publicus, I think we are mixing apples and oranges. The Red Shirts have shown that they are capable of violence, but there is no indication they have plans for New Year's holiday bombings (that I am aware of). I would also tend to believe that the government has sufficiently infiltrated their ranks to know what they are up to.

I am more concerned about other elements (regardless of color affiliation), including international terror groups that might have an axe to grind.

One of the problems that the government seems to have is it's singular focus on the reds and Thaksin. There are things which warrant attention. I hope they know what they are.

Publicus, I think we are mixing apples and oranges. The Red Shirts have shown that they are capable of violence, but there is no indication they have plans for New Year's holiday bombings (that I am aware of). I would also tend to believe that the government has sufficiently infiltrated their ranks to know what they are up to.

I am more concerned about other elements (regardless of color affiliation), including international terror groups that might have an axe to grind.

One of the problems that the government seems to have is it's singular focus on the reds and Thaksin. There are things which warrant attention. I hope they know what they are.

I like apples but don't care for oranges and you can take that as the literal statement it is. Metaphorically your statement may or may not apply, as you and I each have stated neither has sufficient information about the 06 bombings so must of needs be yield to the authorities.

None the less, as I recall and clarify if I'm too foggy, the police said the components of some of the 06 New Year's explosive devices seemed to resemble those used by militants in the South, and Thaksin denied and denied any role in the New Year's attacks. The police (reliable as they are!!!) also said it would be unprecedented for southern militants to venture as far north as Bangkok to conduct terrorist attacks, Had Yai being a sufficiently big enuff target for them in their 'zone' of operations on a number of occasions previous to the 06 explosions. 

Whether (or not) Thaksin was involved in those fatal explosions may be moot because we are facing a New Year at a particularly sensitive and timultous time, a New Year's celebration in the aftermath of a new constitution that Thaksin's people find objectionable, the aftermath of the airport occupation, the failure of two consecutive Thaksin proxy governments, the reds' astounding assault on foreign leaders of Asean in Pattaya, the reds' Black Songkran riots and among other menacing statements and actions, the most recently stated threat of Thaksin and the reds they shall demolish the Abhisit government. 

I learned something as a kid watching the "Mickey Mouse Club" on tv which had a theme for each day's program, one theme being "Anything Can Happen Day," a point proved valid time and again.  

Some can have a laff if they wish.

However, doubt the foreign tourists or Thais maimed (or those killed) in the '06 New Years blasts would share such a blase' sentiment...

The new acting chief would be irresponsible to ignore or not forewarn of any potential for violence. Let's hope he's wrong and be glad he's on alert.

Meanwhile, suggest all just get about their holidays as normal and try to enjoy.

Exactly, saying nothing is iresponsable.

It is also not illogical that trouble will be in the offing considering

the ticking 76 billion baht clock, with an early January alarm bell set.

I'm gonna sit at home and relax, avoid drunks,

and not go out or work for idiots with bad attitudes.