Where To Buy Grade A Rice In Chiangmai ?

Oneman

Where to buy Grade A rice in Chiangmai?

May seem an odd question, because rice is everywhere around here.

Ah, but not the Grade A; the highest grade of rice -- that is proving difficult to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to find Grade A rice?

Are there any rice mills near Chiangmai which might offer that?

Here's the story behind the question:

On a recent trip to Chiang Rai I was served the best rice I've ever tasted.

Even my Thai assistant enthusiastically agreed it was delicious, and she's normally very critical of food.

So, after finishing the meal, I went to talk with the owner of the restaurant: "Suan Charin" -- on the road to Chiang Rai -- justly famous for pies, but they also serve Thai food.

The owner was visibly pleased when I complimented the taste of the rice.

He explained they buy it directly from a rice mill in Chiang Rai.

There is no brand name.

It is not sold in the markets.

But it is the best quality rice available ("Hom-Mali" Jasmine rice, milled and polished).

Returning to Chiang Mai, I started asking my network of Thai acquaintances, where to buy Grade A rice.

The question was beyond their understanding.

Thais think in terms of lowest price.

To ask Thais about highest quality, well, I might as well have been speaking Swedish, because they had no idea what I was asking, nor how to respond.

Until now, my approach to buying rice has been to simply select the most expensive available.

Whether at Rim Ping or at Makro, I look for the 5 kilo bag with the highest price, and put that in my cart.

So far, good rice that way, but nowhere near as delicious as this Grade A variety that comes direct from a rice mill.

If one eats a lot of rice, might as well be delicious.

Perhaps some others here feel the same.

So I am still searching:

1. Are there any rice mills close to Chiangmai?

2. Do any stores offer high quality rice, rather than the low price rice common in all the markets?

Thank you for any help.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

First, if what you said is true ("Thais think in terms of lowest price"), you are associating with a very limited class of people.

Second, have you tried simply asking for Hom-Mali (Jasmine) rice? We have no trouble finding it.

At this time of the year go find newly harvested type of rice Hom-Mali or not (locally called "Kaw Mai" "ข้าวใหม่").

I suspect you probably had those kind of rice.  It won't be expensive but it only last for a couple of months.

Thai old tradition realize this time of the year (cooler season) fish and rice taste best like the newlywed.

Edited by Maccheroncini

There is a rice mill just up the road from where I live, it would be about five kilometres before you get to Doi Saket on the left hand side of the Chiang mai-Doi Saket road. I don't know if they sell rice or just mill it. Incidentally have you ever looked closely at the rice sold in the super markets? I do every time I buy rice from Carrefore and invariably find weavels present, I point it out to the staff and they take away the bag I show them but do not even look at the remainder of the stack.

We buy Hom Mali Jasmine Rice. We used to buy it from a Rice Shop but the prices were no better than anywhere else. We buy the popular brand that comes in a very colorful bag with Chinese characters all over it. It is one of the more expensive brands.

Sometime you might try Mun Poo Fragrant Rice. That is my favorite and is all I eat at home.

I think it's a freshness thing, as Macherroncini was saying. Every now and again I get my hands on some fresh off the farm rice and it's is phenomenal - night and day different from what I've ever been able to buy.

Also - Oneman, I think the way you describe Thai people says far more about your character and wordly understanding than theirs.

At this time of the year go find newly harvested type of rice Hom-Mali or not (locally called "Kaw Mai" "ข้าวใหม่"). I suspect you probably had those kind of rice.  

I didn't know about ข้าวใหม่, but what you say makes perfect sense.

Now, I will search for that.

Thank you, Maccheroncini.

There is a rice mill just up the road ... about five kilometres before you get to Doi Saket on the left hand side of the Chiang mai-Doi Saket road. I don't know if they sell rice or just mill it.

Appreciate very much that information with directions.

Even if they don't sell rice in small amounts, would be interesting just to go to see a rice mill.

Thank you, PaulChiangmai.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

My local rice lady at Talaad Baan Tor (along the Ping) is from Chiang Rai... she has lots of the regular rice in the usual sacks but she always has 2 or 3 sacks of premium rice from her village area near Chiang Rai, including the most magnificent red rice. There's no comparison.....

I think it's a freshness thing, as Macherroncini was saying. Every now and again I get my hands on some fresh off the farm rice and it's is phenomenal - night and day different from what I've ever been able to buy.

The best rice I've ever eaten was some of this being served in cmsoulbrother's restaurant.