Thailand To Reduce Traffic Death Rate By Half

webfact

Safety group calls for more action and budget to halve

By WANNAPA PHETDEE

THE NATION

Published on December 27, 2009

The United Nations declared the years 2011-2020 as the "Decade of Action for Road Safety" last November in Moscow, with the goal of reducing the number of people killed on the roads by 50 per cent.

Thailand also has set a target for reducing its traffic death rate by half within the next 10 years.

The Cabinet declared road safety as a national agenda in September, but it appears it will be hard for Thailand to reach such a high goal, according to a road-safety expert.

"The government announced its policy and master plan to start dealing with road accidents, but how can they reach their goal? Having only policy but not providing a special budget and resources to initi?ate or run road-safety projects is not enough," said Thanapong Jinvong, programme manager of the Road Safety Group Thailand (RSG) of the National Health Foundation.

In a meeting with Nation Multimedia Group reporters, he sought their assistance to raise people's awareness and encourage the government to act on its policies.

Currently, around 1.2 million people die and 50 million people are injured in road accidents worldwide each year.

Thailand's total death toll was over 10,000 killed last year, or 31-33 people daily. This daily figure doubled during New Year and Songkran celebration periods, to 50-60 people per day, according to RSG.

He said the government also claimed another near-future goal would be to reduce the ratio of road accident fatalities per 100,000 people - from the present figure of 17.7 killed per 100,000 population, to 14.15 by 2012.

"The number of traffic police officers - only 12,000 - is not enough to supervise motorists, especially during New Year and Songkran celebration periods. Police have a Bt3.6-billion budget for traffic officers to enforce the laws, but only Bt300 million goes towards operational costs to buy necessary tools.

That is not enough to buy hi-tech tools for traffic police at 1,450 stations countrywide."

"The total Bt800 billion budget in the government's Thai Khemkhaeng action plan is not paid directly to its road-safety policy," Thanapong said.

The Interior Ministry's booming campaign to set up many checkpoints nationwide during New Year and Songkran festivals was ineffective, because police and volunteers worked at the checkpoints mostly during daytime. Figures show most people died in road accidents at night.

Thanapong urged the media to report road accident news more widely than they are doing now. He asked them to investigate the real cause of fatal accidents. He said the media only reported what had happened, how much damage was caused and the cause of the accident concluded in the initial police report, which usually stated the driver dozed off or was negligent.

"After police concluded their official road-accident reports, less than 1 per cent were found to have been caused by drivers dozing off. Perhaps, accidents are [more often] caused by risky roads or below-standard vehicles," he said.

He wanted reporters to seek deeper information on fatal accident cases, reflect what is the real cause, and tell people which state agencies must take responsibility, in order to boost public awareness and encourage agencies to take more action on road safety to protect Thai people.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'reduce by half in ten years'

BB asks; why not set the goal as three years?

And then half again in five years after that.

Some suggestions:

Post cops or people hired by local police forces to position themselves at the following venues where at least half of accidents take place: intersections and 'blind turns'

It would take several people at each venue, examples:

>>>> At corners which everyone cuts too close, you'd need at least 3 workers.:

One person to take a photo of vehicle going over center line (often cars and trucks go over by one or two vehicle widths). One person to flag the driver over, and at least one to ticket the driver.

>>>> At intersections where drivers drive thru red lights (essentially every intersection in Thailand), you'd need a bigger crew.

One or more people taking photos of offending drivers, and several people flagging down and ticketing offending drivers.

Further suggestion: Offer each offending driver the choice between paying 500 baht on the spot (with receipt) or going to court and having to pay between 2,000 and 5,000 baht depending on the severity of the offense. Double for 2nd offenders. 3rd time within a one year period, and driver gets vehicle and license confiscated.

Thailand also has set a target for reducing its traffic death rate by half within the next 10 years.

By throwing half of the population out of the country.

"The number of traffic police officers - only 12,000 - is not enough to supervise motorists

I don't recall hardly ever if in fact at all seeing a regular police officer doing anything but supervising motorists or sitting in a Black Maria waiting for it to go off at a morlam concert. Only when they're called out. No roving patrols, no coppers pounding the beat, nothing.

My Thai friend was round mine watching the British reality police show "Road Wars" where the camera crew go out in unmarked police cars. He was rather impressed (due to the time stamp at the bottom of the screen saying stuff like "3 a.m" etc) that western cops were doing their stuff 24/7. As I pointed out most drug dealers, rapists, burglars, muggers and car thieves etc don't do their sh#t at 8 am outside Khon Kaen bus station.

in Belgium they used to have posted deaths ( morts) and accidents( same same) every few kms..that turned a few heads, as did the giant Michelin Man, a lumpy frosty the snowman. I lived in Belguim 2 years as a kid, and saw way more accidents there than in LOS, no kidding

in Belgium they used to have posted deaths ( morts) and accidents( same same) every few kms..that turned a few heads, as did the giant Michelin Man, a lumpy frosty the snowman. I lived in Belguim 2 years as a kid, and saw way more accidents there than in LOS, no kidding

1920's? 1930's? :)

They should start by introducing proper driver training and testing to get a license, the driving

test that Thailand currently uses is a joke, if you can park a car in a square than you can get

your license. They could also introduce driver training and road safety in schools.

A good place to start would be having police actually DOING their job , the problem there would be , that first they would need their job definition defined in no uncertain terms , any officer not at his job would be reprimanded and put doing a shit job for a while .

The first consideration would obviously be , that those in charge first learn what that classification is in real terms , like aprehend people instead of taking 'tea' money ? Seems to me that very few are interested in learning or doing anything constructive about road safety , who is going to enforce the rules ?

Just fine all the motorbikes with more than 3 people on it. There are many, especially at night with no taillight. That would be an easy start.

Here's some interesting statistics : UK population= about 60 million almost the same as Thailand's, fatalities on the road UK= 3500 per year Thailand =10000- more than 3 times as many. Why? Driver training, attitude to safety ie compulsory wearing of crash helmets on motorbikes and policing. The best way to improve Thailands bad record would be to train and test people on how to drive motorcycles, including how to look behind themselves once in a while, give large fines for not wearing a helmet. To put an age requirement on driving a motorcycle of at least 17 years. To fine anyone carrying infants or young children on motorcycles and to fine people who ride with 3 or more people on the motorbike. Just some ideas but it would take a lot more to change the Thais attitude to 'risk management.'

"The government announced its policy and master plan to start dealing with road accidents, but how can they reach their goal?"

*dis-qualify 50% of the current license holder - undertake new driving and road test.

*re-qualification drivers exam every other year

*purge and rid all old motor-vehicles without proper maintenance safety standards

*re-train the highway police force; eliminate corruption and roadside bribes

* installation of more digital camera's at troublesome intersections where high violations occur including bribes taken by officers

* enforce total auto insurance measures; no insurance = no car

* impound vehicles with serious infractions until driver conducts re-hab training and pay a significant fine

They could make a huge reduction in traffic deaths by enforcing SIMPLE laws. I avoid driving at night because of drunks on the road and because of vehicles going the wrong way on divided lane highways. Maybe the worst thing is the VERY large number of vehicles with no lights. It would be interesting to know the number of fatalities that occur after dark when the police are sleeping. Motorcycles with a drunk driver, no helmet and no lights are quite obviously at high risk. Until the police see fit to control the high risk group, there will be no reduction in fatalities. The UN is just blowing smoke as usual.

Reducing road deaths and accidents means changing the mindset of an awful lot of people.

Seeing as a large number of drivers/motorcyclists here haven't even got the basic common sense to look when pulling out of a junction, see nothing wrong with queue jumping and going through a red light when the other light has been green for about 5 seconds,, ride up the inside of a vehicle indicating to turn left when they're going straight, fail to give way to ambulances with their lights and sirens going, drive off at speed when they've caused an accident or a fender bender and take no notice of their 12 year old daughter (who can hardly touch the floor) carrying her 7 year old sister on the back of the bike riding off on the wrong side of the road at night with no light then reducing accidents to an "acceptable" level is a bit of a King Canute type situation I fear.

Love Thailand. Love the people. But why do so many of them have to be so frigging thick as sh#t and selfish when it comes to operating a motor vehicle.

Edited by mca

easy : get a cop in every car, just behind the driver.

I'm not sure it will increase safety in the first place, but at 200 baht per driver mistake, they will finally make a decent living. In the meantime, that's so many wages that won't have to be withdrawn from national budget, and that can be invested in the 'hi-tech' equipment they're craving for.

Or go in the deeper pockets . . . :)

They should start by introducing proper driver training and testing to get a license, the driving

test that Thailand currently uses is a joke, if you can park a car in a square than you can get

your license. They could also introduce driver training and road safety in schools.

AGREED!!

It's funny that corruption causes road accidents but if you think about it, it boils down to this.

Police don't enforce or report anything if you grease their palms and you can probably buy a driving license for 1000 baht.

I still can't get my head around the crash helmet law either. I wear mine at all times but in my town I think you only have to wear them on a thursday or the week before the police get paid.

It will never change so I don't know why they keep going on about new crackdowns.

I went to a bar last night. It was packed with Thai's and farang alike. All were very drunk, even police officers were. And ALL drove home whether on motorbikes or in cars without a worry in the world.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year :)

Just fine all the motorbikes with more than 3 people on it. There are many, especially at night with no taillight. That would be an easy start.

Here's some interesting statistics : UK population= about 60 million almost the same as Thailand's, fatalities on the road UK= 3500 per year Thailand =10000- more than 3 times as many. Why? Driver training, attitude to safety ie compulsory wearing of crash helmets on motorbikes and policing. The best way to improve Thailands bad record would be to train and test people on how to drive motorcycles, including how to look behind themselves once in a while, give large fines for not wearing a helmet. To put an age requirement on driving a motorcycle of at least 17 years. To fine anyone carrying infants or young children on motorcycles and to fine people who ride with 3 or more people on the motorbike. Just some ideas but it would take a lot more to change the Thais attitude to 'risk management.'

To be fair, it should be considered what percentage of the population rides motorcycles versus cars in the UK for these kind of comparisons to make any sense. Obviously riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous. I suspect if this was factored in the statistics wouldn't be so startling. Not that I'm defending the driving habits on the roads of Thailand. I'm not. They are dangerous, very dangerous.

The Songkran festival must account for a large percentage of the total figure. Maybe they could start there?

Cheers, Rick

Hmmm....... Suggestion: What about pedestrians only inside demarcated and policed Muang/Towm/City/Ville for the party/etc entertainment during the major Thai booze-ups e.g.Songkran, New Year ??

Generates lotsa (vehicle investment would be nice) Moola for the public transport services as cars and bikes have to be outside the Town/City 'exclusion zone' during the Festivities....

Less dead relatives, innocents and all............ Win/Win.

Nappy Yew Hear for new decade 2010,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

I read a UN report a while ago that the actual figure for annual road deaths in Thailand is probably in the region of 24 thousand per year.

The main reason for such a disparity between 'official' statistics and actual deaths is that only deaths at the accident scene seem to be included in the 'official' figures.

Victims who made it to hospital but subsequently died or just didn't bother to get included in a police report will not show up in the 'official' body count.

My own wifes brother died after being hit by a drunk driver, he survived in a coma for a few weeks before dieing. There was no police report of his death. In fact the drunk driver who killed him paid off the police and no further action was taken.

The appalling death toll here can only be reduced by education of drivers and riders and the proper enforcement of rules and regulations.

I have my doubts if the will exists here to carry this past the annual crackdowns and token checkpoints at New Year and Songkran.

A reduction by half is just another example of the incompetence of the people who govern. Governments from Cities, to Provinces right to the top of the Central government should realize that their police force is at least guilty on half of all victims dead or maimed. Drivers Licenses can be bought anywhere. There are no decent traffic schools, in school children do not learn to ride a bicycle or motorcycle. The helmet rule is not really enforced in the provinces, while it would be so easy just to impound the motorcycle of repeat offenders for a couple of months. It would make sense to check lightning on vehicles and demand that people who work on roads show common sense by not marking a spot three meters in advance but 3 kilometer in advance. The list goes on and on and on, but ultimately comes down on a very bad Thai habit: GREED!

The police, the local administration, the company doing the road workers, the drivers they all have dollar signs in their eyes and they do not give a dam_n about the end results. Pick-up trucks filled with people, songtaews instead of proper buses. People are simply treated as commodities in Thailand. It is all inherent on the Thai system that is made up out of nepotism, greed ultimately accumulating in so many victims that they become simple statistics. Besides it is cheaper to kill someone in a road accident than to invest in for instance a proper bus or van. The average dead Thai cost hardly ever more than 50,000 Baht.

a 50% decrease shows the lack of will and the disrespect of human life. The target should have been 90-95%.

The numbers of who drives what vehicle has nothing to do with the statistical comparison , the cause of high deaths is THE OPERATOR , cannot call most of them DRIVERS , these people need to be FORCED to change , fines alone will not do it . Even here in Cambodia they have a similar problem , the police are confiscating motos , that is producing far better results than paying a fine . You tell me how many Thai you see going one hundred meters to a store and have to take the moto(too lazy to walk) , the bigger problem is THEY HAVE TO TAKE THE WHOLE FAMILY .

Barriers down the centre line of roads in the city would give a vast reduction in collisions , no corner cutting , but the police would need to STOP the wrong way motos and take away their machine for a while . Another thing would be to stop police controlling traffic lights that are already synchronised to improve the safety factor , they just make matters worse , anyway , talk all we like , but very little to nothing will happen until they pay the police a decent wage and reduce the corruption taking them away from their REAL purpose .

Announce that there will be zero traffic accidents starting today. Wave of magic wand; it's done. Next day, eliminate alcoholism and extra-marital sex.

.......and then we can re-import the Fugitive-No-1-in Waiting from Clambobia whilst we are at it to oversee Thailands very own Great Lurch Sidewards...... love it.

Nah, too Hollywood; endless re-runs, cable and repeats on Beeb (BBC) all night for millennia.

This Reality-TV style here in LanddOfSmurfs will grow and grow, IMHO, and end who knows where?

Safe Season and a Decent new Decade to All in 20Ten,

Brewsta :)

Always a Good discussion , "Driving in Thailand"... :D

Seems that every time a group of Farang from countries that have strict Training, Testing, Licensing and Law Enforcement, the topic turns to driving here. :D

I like the view I heard at a gathering the other day , where a woman compared driving here to playing a Video Game, with all the obstacles , from people walking carelessly into the roads, to vehicles driving at Sonic Speeds.. AND NO TRAFFIC CONTROLS or LIMITS.. :D

I personally drove about 10 Kilometers yesterday , and was cut off at least 8 times.. Two of the incidents were life threatening..

When returning to my country of origin, I need to take extra caution to stop driving like I am back in the LOS, paying attention to speed Limits , Cross Walks, School Zones, and the list just goes on.

Personally, I would guess that 10% of the drivers here are just moving Hazards, add in the 3 Wheeled Restaurants in the Fast Lanes, and the Telephone Addicts , and I am IMPRESSED that the Accident Rate is so LOW.. :D

In 16 Years , I have NEVER seen a Vehicle pulled over for speeding, and only twice for Running a RED Light..

BE Aware, wear your Seat Belt or Helmet, and you satisfy all the rules that are going to be enforced on the roads here in Chiang Mai.

On PARKING.. Now that your Vehicle is at a DEAD STOP, and Clear of obstructing traffic or of creating any hazards, you WILL Receive a Parking Ticket. ?? :D When paying this Ticket, there are no means of contesting it. :)

Just my KARMA for those times I passed the Restaurant on the Left I guess..

DEFENSIVE Driving Techniques, awareness of the Unexpected, and Concentration will let you leave here alive , IF YOU CHOOSE TO DRIVE.. :cheesy:

By the way , my 18 Month old Vehicle has received 8 Dents, 7 while parked, 1 by what I assume was an intoxicated Motor Cycle Drive who Scurried off as quickly as possible.. :D

I ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF DRIVING IN THE LOS.. PUTTING the Beloved Police in Charge of Controlling Traffic may lead back to similar incidents that occurred when they ran "THE WAR ON DRUGS".. They actually give Guns to these Ibiots... BE CAREFUL IN THE NEW YEAR. :D

Some 80% of all road accidents reportedly involve motorbikes

Around half of all motorbike riders and passengers do not wear helmets

Approx half of motorbike riders are children, who do not have driving licences

SOLUTIONS

1)Get serious about breaches of the law. Never mind 100/200bt fines. Minimum 1000bt first offence, 5000bt second and then 10,000 + 6 months disqualification

2) Bring the schools onside. Hundreds of underage kids ride bikes to school every day, often with 2 or even more passengers. Usually traffic police stop cars and wave them across intersections! The school principles should not allow any under-aged child access to school premises riding a motorbike.

3) As well as all the crap taught at Thai schools, devote half an hour a week to instruct pupils how to ride bicycles, motorbikes etc.

4) Punish any parent/guardian that allows unlicenced under-age children to use a motorbike

These put into effect (no extra costs involved) would greatly reduce the accident and death rate.

Seems that every time a group of Farang from countries that have strict Training, Testing, Licensing and Law Enforcement, the topic turns to driving here. :D

I like the view I heard at a gathering the other day , where a woman compared driving here to playing a Video Game, with all the obstacles , from people walking carelessly into the roads, to vehicles driving at Sonic Speeds.. AND NO TRAFFIC CONTROLS or LIMITS.. :D

I personally drove about 10 Kilometers yesterday , and was cut off at least 8 times.. Two of the incidents were life threatening..

When returning to my country of origin, I need to take extra caution to stop driving like I am back in the LOS, paying attention to speed Limits , Cross Walks, School Zones, and the list just goes on.

Personally, I would guess that 10% of the drivers here are just moving Hazards, add in the 3 Wheeled Restaurants in the Fast Lanes, and the Telephone Addicts , and I am IMPRESSED that the Accident Rate is so LOW.. :D

In 16 Years , I have NEVER seen a Vehicle pulled over for speeding, and only twice for Running a RED Light..

BE Aware, wear your Seat Belt or Helmet, and you satisfy all the rules that are going to be enforced on the roads here in Chiang Mai.

On PARKING.. Now that your Vehicle is at a DEAD STOP, and Clear of obstructing traffic or of creating any hazards, you WILL Receive a Parking Ticket. ?? :D When paying this Ticket, there are no means of contesting it. :)

Just my KARMA for those times I passed the Restaurant on the Left I guess..

DEFENSIVE Driving Techniques, awareness of the Unexpected, and Concentration will let you leave here alive , IF YOU CHOOSE TO DRIVE.. :cheesy:

By the way , my 18 Month old Vehicle has received 8 Dents, 7 while parked, 1 by what I assume was an intoxicated Motor Cycle Drive who Scurried off as quickly as possible.. :D

I ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF DRIVING IN THE LOS.. PUTTING the Beloved Police in Charge of Controlling Traffic may lead back to similar incidents that occurred when they ran "THE WAR ON DRUGS".. They actually give Guns to these Ibiots... BE CAREFUL IN THE NEW YEAR. :D

Great summary- and alive to tell the tale also. Impressed.

Happy soon-to-be 20Ten and stay safe.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

............ They actually give Guns to these Ibiots... BE CAREFUL IN THE NEW YEAR. :)

And as for those smiley-trippy Ibiots with Firearms aplenty.......scary... :D(

Edited by Brewsta