Help A Fellow Traveller

FarangSerbia

I am 24 year old guy from Europe and will be visiting Thailand next year in February. I am not a guy who is much into going out (I would go out maybe 3-4 times while in Thailand), but chilling at a beach is a must. The main reason for my trip is definetly nature and sightseeing, I am really not into sex tourism. Thus, I won't visit places such as Pattaya, because I think its not worth going there for something else (correct me if I am wrong). However, I would like to spend a few days in peace and I think Phi Phi islands is the best choice for that, with the trips around nearby islands, ofcourse. Not to get into more details, here is my plan:

-Bangkok 4 days - other then visiting the city itself, I am thinking about Ayutthayi - is it worth visiting it? What else would you suggest around Bangkok? Maybe skip Ayutthayi, but go to Kanchanaburi instead? I am not too much into temples, but since I want to learn a lot about Thai culture, I can't miss temples ofcourse. On the other hand, I think I will be seeing so many temples, that only 1 of those 2 places will satisfy me.

-Chiang Mai 6 days - What to do / not to do here? I heared trackings are kinda lame, what about rafting? Long neck tribe? Any other places that shouldnt be missed?

-Phuket (I will stay there only 2-3 days, doesnt sound like a good place for me). I am totally out of info on Phuket, any national parks nearby?

-Phi Phi and other islands (which ones?) for 18 days. What is the best place for a "base" here? Phi phi or maybe Krabi? I would like to point out that I am very into paradise beaches and nature in every possible way which, ofcourse, will include snorkling, a lot of days trips etc. What not to miss here?

This is the rough plan, the only think I know for sure is that I will visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ko Phi Phi. I won't go home without seeing those places, but any other suggestion is MUCH appreciated. What would you change on this route? I am especially interested in National parks (hopefully without malaria mosquitoes ). Any suggestion for National parks?

Thanks in advance :)

3-4 days in Bangkok for temples and the Grand Palace is probably okay, although you can certainly extend that as well. There's so much here, just depending on how fast you like to move along and the depth of your interest.

I would do Ayutthaya separately. You could take the train up and spend at least one FULL day there.

There's another alternative. Since you're going to Chiang Mai for 6 days, you could go on down to Sukhothai, the oldest Thai capital. More rural and I think more interesting than Ayutthaya, although both is better since they are from different eras. Up in Chiang Mai at least go down to Doi Inthanon National Park and its waterfalls for a day. I've never been on a trek or rafting, and I have especially not seen the long neck tribes (some people describe that place as a human zoo that is deplorable, although others see it differently).

I like Phuket as a an area, and one cannot miss the boat trip out on Phang Nga Bay. Spend the day, pay them to take you on some of the smaller islands. One of the most beautiful places on earth! The Krabi area is not far away and very beautiful. You ought to look into that. Phi Phi, I don't know, but my impression from reading online is that things have gone downhill there...but again, that's second hand information.

Phi Phi is beautiful and has many options. The island center is quite busy though so if your looking for a quiet scene you might want to try Long Beach in Phi Phi for your room. It is a beautiful beach with some great snorkling right off the beach. You can even snorkle with harmless black tip reef sharks right from the beach. It is only about 5 min by boat to the island center so your still close to the action and loads of restaurants. Phi has great diving, sunset tours, hiking paths over the hills, and probably the best view point Thailand has to offer. DO NOT MISS THE VIEW PIONT. It is where a large amount of postcards photo's are taken from.

Other places I think are great are:

Koh Tao: Rolling hills with huge boulders. Perfect sunsets. Lots of trails that you can travel via 4 wheeler. A very natural feel to the place

Koh Chang: Big island where tourism has yet to spoil. Very laid back and beautiful. Quiet.

Railay Beach, Krabi: Kinda spendy at times but because you can only access this place via long tail (no big boats, no pier) it makes it very much like fantasy island. Rock climbing, snorkle, hiking. Super natural....monkeys will be throwing mango pits at you from the tree's. Ya Ya guest house is probably the cheapest lodging there unless you go just around the bend to Ton Sai Beach where everything is a bit cheaper and your still very very close.

Ok, have fun...

Pai, north of Chiang Mai, is well worth a few days, very laid back rural community, (but well organized for tourists) with: Waterfalls, Hot Springs, the Canyon south of town is worth a visit, especially at sunset... Just rent a motor bike or a bicycle to get around.

You can get a public bus from the public bus station in Chiang Mai, for about 60 baht, (perhaps a little more now) it takes about 3 hours & better than being stuck in a minibus...

If you want to see some spectacular caves, then it is worth the drive up to the Lom Lot (spelling?) Caves... it is a few years since I did that but perhaps 40 Kms north of Pai... but take a good jacket, if you use a motor bike, it's darn cold when coming back to Pai, over the mountain passes ... Part of the attraction at sunset is seeing millions of bats leaving the caves & the swallows returning... but you also need a few hours to be guided through the caves.... so plan to arrive around lunch time!

Happy travels!

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all for your suggestions! I will definetly look into Pai and Chiang Rai as well as Railay Beach and Koh Chang. Siam Rivers sounds tempting as well. Will be spending a night in Ayutthaya, sounds like its worth it!

If you going to bangkok in april...i suggest go between 13 - 15. Its the Songkran festival. My fav time of the year. Go Khaosan road and play some water...after that you can travel to pattaya and carry on the party. Enjoy...