Thai Education Scorecard Good, But Can Do Better

webfact

ANALYSIS

Education scorecard good, but can do better

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA

THE NATION

Published on December 28, 2009

Despite many positive changes to the national education sector recently, Abhisit Vejjajiva's government needs to do more if Thai children are to receive quality schooling.

For as long as schools in remote areas lack capable teachers and adequate facilities and the university-admission system remains confused, the incumbent administration will have a record with little to boast about.

ut, the one-year-old government has made a fair start, through its determination to introduce 15 years of free schooling available to all children nationwide.

Families are not only spared tuition fees, their hcildren are also eligible for free textbooks, uniforms and learning materials. It is through such moves that educational opportunities are opening for underprivileged kids.

Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, who hails from the ruling Democrat Party, has also worked really hard for a second round of educational reforms.

Jurin's goal is to help create capable citizens who also have sound moral values, and are happy and proud to be Thai.

In order to achieve these goals in the next 10 years, the Education Ministry wants to attract hard-working and capable people to the teaching profession. It reasons that good quality teachers will improve the quality of Thai students.

On top of this, it has prepared many other projects to enhance the quality of educational services in the Kingdom, such as raising the ratio of computers to students from 1:40 to 1:10, as well as providing well-equipped libraries for at least 30,000 schools. The ministry has also launched a television channel - "Tutor Channel" - through which well-known teachers tutor students.

"In terms of education, I think the incumbent administration has scored four out of five for its efforts, but they only get three out of five for overall performance," Dr Varakorn Samakoses said. Varakorn was deputy education minister with Surayud Chulanont's government in 2007 and is a former dean of Thammasat University's Faculty of Economics.

He pointed out that though the Education Ministry had good intentions, its many plans had yet to deliver results. "The development of teachers has not really started yet," Varakorn noted.

To many critics, the 15 years of free schooling may not mean much to children in remote areas where educational services are not up to city standards. The Tutor Channel, though good, also reflects that tutorial sessions are needed as students aren't taught well enough in general classes.

The critics also lamented that relevant authorities, despite receiving many complaints, have failed to improve the university admission system, which has become increasingly confusing. There are now so many factors for university applicants to consider, such as grade point averages, plus the General Aptitude Test and Professional Aptitude Test.

Deputy Education Minister Chaiwuti Bannawat, who oversees the Office of Higher Education Commission (Ohec), has vowed to tackle this issue. However, his efforts have been rather fruitless to date. Most universities have ignored his plea that more seats should be earmarked for the central admission system than for direct admissions.

Dhurakij Pundit University's Paitoon Silarat also pointed out that the Education Ministry still has yet to raise the salaries for vocational graduates.

"We have been talking for a long time about how salaries should be based on skills and experience, yet this does not exist in the labour market," Paitoon said.

Deputy Education Minister Narisara Chavaltanpipat has long pledged to develop Thai Vocational Qualifications (TVQ) as a solution. So far, this solution is not yet in sight.

Chaiwuti is also criticised for failing to curb the dominance of state universities in the higher-education sector.

According to Paitoon, in the first round of educational reform it was agreed that private universities should cover between 20 and 30 per cent of students pursuing higher education, however only 10 per cent are with private universities these days.

Yet, Paitoon praised Jurin for his leadership and decisiveness.

"However I think he is focusing on too many things, which is why some main things have not received adequate attention," Paitoon said.

To ensure projects move on the right track, Chulalongkorn lecturer Dr Sompong Jitradub suggested the government listen to various parties on how to implement the second round of educational reforms.

He said the collapse of the ambitious plan to set up a national education institute clearly highlighted flaws in the country's educational system.

"Don't let just four or five people dominate reform otherwise it will be mired in flaws," Sompong said, adding that the first round required a huge budget but achieved little because just a handful of influential figures in the education sector were being listened to.

"For instance, offering pay raises to teachers for doing academic research has diverted attention from students," Sompong explained, insisting that issues such as this should be addressed immediately or state funding would be wasted.

For the 2010 fiscal year, the Education Ministry has been allocated 3.87 per cent of the country's gross domestic product and will

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

As usual vested interests do their best to derail progress for actual students.

But the government has made atypically large efforts at change,

and if ANYTHING improves it is progress that benefits some.

It is to be hoped that 'some' is a larger and larger percentage.

Edited by animatic

I have to say that the education system here, more specifically the curriculum, is farcical. No geography, no history, no dedicated maths or language skills.....

All they are doing (in my opinion) is training Thai kids to become Thai adults!!

It's all singing and dancing shows and paying homage to everything that is Thai. Yes, I realise we are in Thailand but ask any teenage student the capital of UK or USA and I would believe that less than 50% would know the answers to both.

A lot of kids don't even know the geography of their own country!!

I have to say that the education system here, more specifically the curriculum, is farcical. No geography, no history, no dedicated maths or language skills.....

All they are doing (in my opinion) is training Thai kids to become Thai adults!!

It's all singing and dancing shows and paying homage to everything that is Thai. Yes, I realise we are in Thailand but ask any teenage student the capital of UK or USA and I would believe that less than 50% would know the answers to both.

Why should they care what the capital of the UK or US is? Most will never visit and it has no bearing on their future. Also, if you want to see ignorance you should ask some U.S. kids questions about geography. There's even a tonight show segment where they go out on the street and ask adults walking around in Time Square geography questions and some of the answers are profoundly stupid.

That's just plain not true. There are required classes in history, language, geography, and dedicated math every year from primary 1 to secondary 6. The teachers may not be the best, but the curriculum is comprehensive, especially in mathematics.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

That's just plain not true. There are required classes in history, language, geography, and dedicated math every year from primary 1 to secondary 6. The teachers may not be the best, but the curriculum is comprehensive, especially in mathematics.

I have been teaching in Thai schools for over 6 years, both Government and Private. I agree about the comments about Mathematics but what about English? Most Thai English teachers that I have worked with cannot speak English and certainly can't teach it. If you dont believe me try holding a conversation in English with an 18 year old who probably has had lessons in English for over 12 years. You will find that most of them can't say a thing in English. The curriculum gives a very one sided view of history and world events and grossly exaggerates the contributions made by a few individuals. I wonder if those Thai Visa members making comments have actual experience in the schools in this country.

I gave up on the Thai Education System along time ago. I had a teacher that professed to have a masters degree in education ask me how I got from America to Thailand. Did I take a train or a bus? I've also had high school level teachers react with shock to learn that in America we don't eat rice 3 times a day. My personal favorite is the director of education for the first government school I worked for asked me if we had computers and internet in America. I listened as a science teacher explained to her 3rd grade students that the reason a peeled orange sinks in water and an unpeeled orange doesn't is because the white membrane inside of the peel. When it gets wet (a peeled orange) it gets heavy and makes the orange sink. I've stood in the doorway and listened as a teacher who has a masters degree is English ask her students "what is color my shirt? What is color the apple?"

I feel so sorry for Thai children. Most of them have lost the battle for a quality education, before they even learned to read and write.

It doesn't matter if Thai kids don't know the way to Aberdeen (who does?), but it does matter that they are interested. Surely part of schooling is not just the learning, but learning how to learn, and why its important to learn. IMO good teaching develops and nurtures the kids natural curiosity.

I have asked the usual quiz questions like 'how many countries border Thailand?' and received some worrying answers.

I am not an experienced teacher but I have volunteered at a number of schools and have some experience with teenage students.

I think the kindest I can say is 'patchy'. Given the chance, the kids are interested in the world around them, esp. about kids of their own age.

I have talked about global warming, recycling and 'the future' with mattayom4, and then found M6 struggling with basic grammar.

Many students I see are not 'thick', they are victims of some very narrow teaching, which itself comes from poor training at teaching college. Any solution is going to need a complete top to bottom approach.

I have been teaching in Thai schools for over 6 years, both Government and Private. I agree about the comments about Mathematics but what about English? Most Thai English teachers that I have worked with cannot speak English and certainly can't teach it. If you dont believe me try holding a conversation in English with an 18 year old who probably has had lessons in English for over 12 years. You will find that most of them can't say a thing in English. The curriculum gives a very one sided view of history and world events and grossly exaggerates the contributions made by a few individuals. I wonder if those Thai Visa members making comments have actual experience in the schools in this country.

I must agree about the woeful state of English language instruction in Thailand. Even with foreign English teachers most Thai students never really get a strong grounding in basics of the English language, and certainly not in the actual usage of the language. I am not sure why this is actually. It could be the students themselves and the values their parents and society instill in them. It seems that I learned more in 2 years of Spanish language classes in the U.S. than most Thai kids learn in 12 years of English language instruction. It baffles me.

With regards to history and geography they do have these items in their curriculum, but they also seem to be unimportant culturally and most Thai students seem to view them as irrelevant to their lives. Maybe they are right, especially in the upcountry regions.

Mathematics tends to be strong in most schools, at least in BKK. The level is generally higher than schools in the West, in keeping with Asian traditions.

Science topics will vary considerably from school to school. Unfortunately most schools don't have the budget to outfit a proper laboratory. This takes away from the practical understanding of science and effects the development critical thinking and analysis skills.

These are my impressions of the Thai school systems after working in them for 8 years as a mathematics and physics teacher.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

As far as i know, Thai 'teachers' only need a Bachelors degree to teach. Well........they do at our school anyway.

So, here you have someone who has been through the Thai educations system of rote learning, singing, dancing and colouring things in, who then goes to university to do applied/advanced colouring in and dancing, who then graduates, and then becomes a teacher WITH NO FURTHER teacher training required, and the wheel has turned full circle.

The student has become the teacher and because he is a product of the system, he has no idea if his methodologies are right or wrong.

At our school they are strong at science and maths, but none of the teachers have degrees specific to either subject, nor have they had ANY specific teacher training. hel_l, even a 6 week TEFL course would be of some help !!

I swear that i have seen dissertations from two Thai university students, majoring in English, who had 'beautifully' coloured scrolls and cartoon characters on each corner of their dissertation paper...........the contents of both papers were broadly the same as both students had copied from one another.

Neither student could hold a conversation in English other than mundane stuff like where do you come from etc.

They are now qualified to teach English in a Thai school.

I dont expect them to speak perfectly, but i would expect them to have more of a grasp of the language than they graduate with.

As far as i know, Thai 'teachers' only need a Bachelors degree to teach. Well........they do at our school anyway.

That was true in the past. Current law requires significant teacher education training in addition to a bachelor degree. Alternately a teacher may become teacher certified if he or she can demonstrate knowledge of the teaching profession by passing a series of Professional Knowledge Tests. These standards are being applied to all primary and secondary school teachers in Thailand.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Great topic. I have read some good posts. First of all, before you put down American education is there anyone who has been in a top rated US high school this year?

I have. In October, I was in a high school as a substitute teacher where the AP students were doing College Level Calculus. Some American school are excellent and on a par with the rest of the world, many are a total waste of the students time, the teachers time, and the tax payers money. I have been in those schools this year.

I have been in Thailand just three months and I can only hazard a guess.

Part of the problem as I see it is that many Thais hold English speaking people in contempt. I reject the terms, "foreigner, and farang" just as much as an Amerad

(American of African decent) rejects being called an n&&&&er. We,the people who are changing Thailand, are resented and that is very logical. People resist change.

So what you have is Thai nationals attempting to speak, and write English (a difficult and complex language) and the result is street signs with misspelled words,

English Language Schools with printed materials that contain grammar and syntax errors, and newspaper ads with mistakes. No one dares to correct them because that, well, just isn't done in Thailand, it seems.

They are not dumb, just, I think struggling to protect their culture, and their way of life. Most of them, I hope will realize, that the corrections are not meant to damage their rep, but too foster communication. Thais laugh at me when I speak Thai, and I laugh too, because learning Thai is fun for me.

Why should they care what the capital of the UK or US is? Most will never visit and it has no bearing on their future. Also, if you want to see ignorance you should ask some U.S. kids questions about geography. There's even a tonight show segment where they go out on the street and ask adults walking around in Time Square geography questions and some of the answers are profoundly stupid.

Why should anyone know anything? Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss. You ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies. Does this kind of culture seem familiar?

Why should anyone know anything? Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss. You ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies. Does this kind of culture seem familiar?

Absolutely right,anyone who teaches at schools must be aware of the constant brainwashing that goes on if you dont teach go into a school and look around you will soon see evidence of it. Then there is the compulsory Boy Scouts and Girl Guides complete with marching followed by military service for the boys. The schools do not teach the kids to think outside of the box because maybe the kids then would try to rise above their stations later on in life. A brainwashed public certainly suits General Anupong and his ilk.

I think you'll find that the Thai history taught isn't that comprehensive.

Then there is the compulsory Boy Scouts and Girl Guides complete with marching followed by military service for the boys.

Being a military cadet is optional and a good way to avoid the National Service lottery later.

UBC carries a number of Thai education channels (DLTV 1-15). A few days ago, a teacher was instructing his upper high school level class on the safe way to use an iron, a rice cooker, and a hot water heater. The whole presentation was a power point text presentation. No pictures, no hands-on, no video........just a male teacher droning on for 50 minutes. I'll bet the students were thrilled.

One: Not so long ago I happened to be at the campus of a well known Thai University. It was graduation day. I went to the German, French and English section and tried to talk with some of the students who had just graduated. Not one of them could have a decent conversation. Not one of the German students had ever heard of Goethe.

Many students for a bachelor's degree never study outside the class-room, or just make their homework. Students English e.g. never read an English book.

Anybody who lives on the Thai countryside will notice that most of the young children stay with their grandparents. Their parents are working in some faraway place. Most of the grandparents give these kids a lot of affection but see them like cherished pets. Since most of the grandparents are nearly analphabetics, these children lag already behind when they go to school. They spend most of their day sleeping and watching TV. I really wonder whether people responsible for education realise the consequences of this situation. Thailand for now has a very protected labour market, but that might turns against the country in a few years.

Three: I know a few primary school teachers. Some are motivated and regret the lack of means. Most of them complain about their extremely low salaries and try to make as little effort as possible.

Four: Within the next years an enormous amount of money will be spent on new toys, educational materials, seminars and advisers. Most of this money will go down the drain since the essential element, motivation of both teachers and pupils, is lacking completely.

Five: the solution is easy and not complicated, there are examples enough in the rest of the world. But as long as the will to educate or to be educated is not present any attempt will fail. My conclusion is that this is exactly what the powers that be want.

Actually, Thai math curriculum is last in all SE asian nations according to the OECN. in less than 6 years thailand has gone from first in math and science to 7th and 11th out of all SE Asian nations and the curriculum is at least 3 years behind standards set by ASEAN. and other international education firms.

Actually, Thai math curriculum is last in all SE asian nations according to the OECN. in less than 6 years thailand has gone from first in math and science to 7th and 11th out of all SE Asian nations and the curriculum is at least 3 years behind standards set by ASEAN. and other international education firms.

Have you read the Thai math curriculum? Have you read the IB Math curriculum? Have you read the IGCSE/A-Level Math Curriculum? Have you read the AP Math Curriculum? I have read and taught all of the above both in the classroom and privately. I assure you that the level of the math curriculum in Thailand is as high or higher than the others. I don't mean the Basic Curriculum from the MoE. I mean the suggested Additional Math curriculum as promulgated by most Thai schools. The content of coverage is about the same in all four systems, but the level of difficulty of the problems within any particular content area is generally much higher in the Thai math courses.

Moreover the proof is in the pudding. How is it possible that EP students in our school roundly beat competitors from ISB, Ruamrudee, and a few other international schools in two separate math competitions last year? Remember that all students in an EP are native Thai speakers, which reduces their ability to learn mathematics in English. It is also the case that students from our Thai only program routinely outperform students in our EP at mathematics. If A > B, and B > C, then it must follow that A > C. Now I realize my school may be an anomaly, but there are several public Thai schools that are broadly recognized as far superior to the school I work for. I would, however, agree that Int'l schools are more successful in that a higher percentage of their students meet the expectations of the curriculum.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

EDITORIAL

Thai children deserve a much better education

By The Nation

Published on December 31, 2009

Our schools still practise thoughtless rote learning; it's time to change the system

Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit seemed to pass the test in his first year's performance. Education experts gave him a good rating but noted that he could have done better. They said that although the 15-year free schooling system was implemented, real educational reform has not started yet, as the development of teachers is still a fundamental problem

Some commentators say that the free schooling system may not mean much to children, especially those in rural areas where education services are not up to city standards. The extra-curricular tutor channel reflects the fact that additional lessons are needed because students aren't taught well in general classrooms. But the tutoring channel far from fully addresses the problem of low standards of education.

Thai students are taught to remember textbooks verbatim, without much analytical input. Thais read less than students in other countries, and they are not required to read good books such as literary classics, which should provide them with a good foundation for reading and writing.

Tutoring courses offer quick tips for students to pass tests, most of which are multiple choice. Thai students are rarely required to write essays. This is despite the fact that writing helps students to organise their thoughts, and essay writing is essential for students to excel in higher education.

Focusing on the quality of teachers has proved to be an effective method to kick-start educational reform elsewhere. For instance, in the US, the "Teach for America" programme provides an opportunity for new graduates from top US colleges to teach public school students for at least a few years. This has been successful in improving teaching quality, as dynamic teachers enter the public school system with a fresh attitude.

The salaries of Thai teachers are so miserably low that many have to find sideline jobs to survive, instead of focusing their energy on teaching their students well.

Aside from parents, teachers are the most important mentors in shaping the next generation of Thais, but the payment they receive is so low that it fails to attract quality graduate students to the profession. It's no surprise that teachers dedicated their energy to their privately paid tutoring classes after school hours.

Jurin has said many times he wants to reform the education system by, for instance, turning Thailand into an international education centre by setting up study centres in colleges. Ideas like this are admirable, but the focus on educational reform has so far been on the physical side of colleges. But reform will only produce results when it focuses on the students' enthusiasm to study.

The Education Ministry plans to launch tutor channels with exceptional teachers to reach out to more students. But the tutor channel does not address the requirements of young students who need classroom contact with teachers so they can interact and seek guidance. The presence of good teachers is also essential in instilling moral values in students, as well as the benefits of learning.

The ministry must also try to reduce class sizes in our schools. The average size of classes in Thai schools is 50 students. Under such circumstances, teachers cannot possibly give proper attention to all students. Smaller classes would bring more energy to the learning environment and encourage the active participation of students, as opposed to being left out in the slow pace of learning in big classrooms.

Thai kids are entitled to good and equitable education, but it will be a huge challenge for the government to accomplish this goal. The New Year marks a symbolic start of a brighter future. Let the efforts start in schools, as our children deserve much better than what they have now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation December 31, 2009

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/12/31...on_30119503.php