Looking For Work

sutyot

Just lost my job at a local company and looking for a new position.

I have nearly 20 years of teaching English as a second language to Thai students on a part time basis. Over the years I have taught listening/speaking, reading, writing and business courses.

My background is in manufacturing, marketing, advertising and sales.

My eductaion is made up of certificates and I don't have a formal degree, but have take TEFL courses online.

If you know of any part time or full time English teaching positions available for a reliable worker in Bangkok just send me a note.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

sutyot

Bangkok

You may find many of the job links on this page of our website useful:

http://seetefl.com/tefl-job-guarantee/

John

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I’d like to deeply apologize, AYC’s website is: http://www.aycthailand.com/

I accidentally wrote ayc without Thailand. AYC is an agency located in Bangkok and as far as I know they’re always looking for teachers. I’m sorry for any inconvienence. Happy New Year. I've got nothing to do with a yacht club......

Many thanks SEETEFL, Sisaketmike and Ilyushin for the advice.

Sisaketmike's suggestion has landed me an interview tomorrow. I really hope that it goes well.

Appreciate it very much Sisaketmike.

sutyot

I got some classes, but after speaking with some regular teacher's I have found out that the agent is getting over 50% of the daily wages.

Still looking for some English teaching work in Bangkok.

Thanks for the update. In a few months there should be a lot of job openings.

Best of luck.

Appreciate the support Scott.

Many schools will close for Summer soon and then some positions should be available in the next term.

Possibly some Summer Camp teaching will be available also.

"I got some classes, but after speaking with some regular teacher's I have found out that the agent is getting over 50% of the daily wages."

Are you saying they're going to take 50% of what they offered and you accepted to work for?

If they offered you a certain amount, and you agreed to work for that, you aren't losing anything.

What they charge the school they place you in is really none of your business. Your business is teaching. Their business is finding teachers to place in jobs that schools have contracted with them for.

If they offered you a certain amount, and you agreed to work for that, you aren't losing anything.

What they charge the school they place you in is really none of your business. Your business is teaching. Their business is finding teachers to place in jobs that schools have contracted with them for.

You seem to be suggesting that the OP should take a job with an employer he feels is unfair. That's just silly. The issue at hand is quite clearly not about agreement on a particular wage but rather fair business practices in general. I can't imagine many people would take a job knowing full well their agent was leeching 50% of their wages. Get real.

Let's make sure we keep it civil. If you are satisfied with an agency and they give you a work permit as well as other benefits that meet your needs, then go for it. If not, then move on. I've met teachers who work for agencies they very much are happy with. They enjoyed not being tied to one school 5 days a week all day long. They enjoyed the challenges as well. They are also in a good position, should they decide to settle down, to know what to look for in a school.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't think employers employ people for love or charity. For the agency it's their business. They are compensated by their client and then they sub-contract the work to a teacher. This is a service that happens in just about every industry and country in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
I got some classes, but after speaking with some regular teacher's I have found out that the agent is getting over 50% of the daily wages.

May I politely suggest that you learn the correct use of apostrophes before continuing to teach English? A normal plural noun does not take an apostrophe. It's basic English grammar.

Thanks

Still looking for a full time position or corporate work.

Got some substitution classes from an agent, but they cannot offer any other positions at this time.

One school I substituted at contacted me and asked about the status between the agent and myself. Looks like they want to direct deal.

Agents should get paid, but not 50% of the wages. I would be okay with 10-20%.

While I did the sub work, I was surprised to find out that most teachers do not have a degree or TEFL. They were all very professional, just lacking the documents.

The schools are in a bad way for enough teachers. Work schedules are 25-30hrs a week in the classroom. Wow!

sutyot

May I politely suggest that you learn the correct use of apostrophes before continuing to teach English? A normal plural noun does not take an apostrophe. It's basic English grammar.

Thanks

stumiller, Many thanks for the note. It was just a typo. Probably on the cell phone when I was typing.

If you have any other suggestions for a teaching job then send them on.

sutyot

The recruitment period will probably be starting in the next month or so. Right now, it's a rather 'dry' period for finding work.

Very true Scott.

There is a program for Nonthaburi schools which starts next month. I was asked to an interview and short listed again for a second interview. One Thai teacher at the university which is managing the program informed me there were 250 teacher applicants for the next term.

Wish me luck on my search!

sutyot

"I got some classes, but after speaking with some regular teacher's I have found out that the agent is getting over 50% of the daily wages."

Are you saying they're going to take 50% of what they offered and you accepted to work for?

TeryLH,

Yes, I agreed to teach several days for a teacher that had to make a trip to Laos. Also, I agreed to the daily wages and did the work, but after finding out that the full time teachers were only getting 50% of the budgeted amounts made me reconsider the next job. It is rather high for the entire duration of the contract, don't you think?

sutyot

TeryLH,

Yes, I agreed to teach several days for a teacher that had to make a trip to Laos. Also, I agreed to the daily wages and did the work, but after finding out that the full time teachers were only getting 50% of the budgeted amounts made me reconsider the next job. It is rather high for the entire duration of the contract, don't you think?

sutyot

50% of 60,000 might be adequate. 50% of 30,000 would be tough going. 50% of 100,000 would be heaven.

It's good to read that professionals are getting the recognition along with the TEFL/degree holding no-hopers once again. I'm almost inclined to get back into it again if that's the truth.

TeryLH,

sutyot

50% of 60,000 might be adequate. 50% of 30,000 would be tough going. 50% of 100,000 would be heaven.

It's good to read that professionals are getting the recognition along with the TEFL/degree holding no-hopers once again. I'm almost inclined to get back into it again if that's the truth.

As I understood that the school had budgets for 60,000 per month per teacher. Everyone seemed to be getting along well with each other. The teachers all want mostly just a stable job, enough income and good work environment. No problems between the teachers that I could see.

sutyot

As I understood that the school had budgets for 60,000 per month per teacher. Everyone seemed to be getting along well with each other. The teachers all want mostly just a stable job, enough income and good work environment. No problems between the teachers that I could see.

sutyot

Mr/s Sutyot, 30,000 is enough to live well enough to teach effectively in Bangkok once you're settled. 50% of a gold mine is worth a lot more than 50% of a joke.

If I was offered such a position, (and providing it didn't include coaching soccer practice or boy scouts at 16:30 every second afternoon), then I'd sign the contract and just concentrate on doing the job as best I could, but don't be too complacent, for agencies have an habit of pulling the rug out from under the teaqcher/student relationship without notice, so keep your options open if you can.

sutyot

Mr/s Sutyot, 30,000 is enough to live well enough to teach effectively in Bangkok once you're settled. 50% of a gold mine is worth a lot more than 50% of a joke.

If I was offered such a position, (and providing it didn't include coaching soccer practice or boy scouts at 16:30 every second afternoon), then I'd sign the contract and just concentrate on doing the job as best I could, but don't be too complacent, for agencies have an habit of pulling the rug out from under the teaqcher/student relationship without notice, so keep your options open if you can.

SeanMoran, I understand and appreciate the post. I am looking at it closely.

Starts 7.30 and goes to 3.30, 5 days a week, approx. 20 hours a week English and 2-4+ hours Science, Computer or Math. In addition, gate duty and other required programs. Just spoke with the school and they have offered 2 hours additional teaching after regular school day at baht 400/hr.

Mr. sutyot

Edited by sutyot

Starts 7.30 and goes to 3.30, 5 days a week, approx. 20 hours a week English and 2-4+ hours Science, Computer or Math. In addition, gate duty and other required programs. Just spoke with the school and they have offered 2 hours additional teaching after regular school day at baht 400/hr.

sutyot

If you can trust that the money will be in the bank at the EoM, then go for it. It sounds like an honest offer of stable employment, at first glance.

Remember that 08:00 is the time for the National Anthem, so your 7:30 start is most likely preparation time before classes are likely to begin at 08:30, (assuming it's like a government school). Most importantly, they've offered you some sort of good payment for after 15:30 classes end, and if I was in your shoes, I would trust these people more than the average offers of work I've had in my time in Thailand. Beware, but go with the opportunity.

I also hope that whilst you may feel more comfortable teaching English to Mattayom 5-6 classes, that unless you really know your chemistry and your calculus, strive for the Mattayom 1-3 classes for science and maths. I know that I would be out of my depth teaching calculus to senior high-school students, but just remember the words of the master English grammer sensei Richard Murphy who said, "All you have to do is stay one lesson ahead."

We teach best what we most need to learn - Richard Bach. Illusions.

---o0o---

Yes, I spelt grammar wrongly - only the Great Allah can be perfect. :)

Edited by SeanMoran

sutyot

If you can trust that the money will be in the bank at the EoM, then go for it. It sounds like an honest offer of stable employment, at first glance.

Remember that 08:00 is the time for the National Anthem, so your 7:30 start is most likely preparation time before classes are likely to begin at 08:30, (assuming it's like a government school). Most importantly, they've offered you some sort of good payment for after 15:30 classes end, and if I was in your shoes, I would trust these people more than the average offers of work I've had in my time in Thailand. Beware, but go with the opportunity.

I also hope that whilst you may feel more comfortable teaching English to Mattayom 5-6 classes, that unless you really know your chemistry and your calculus, strive for the Mattayom 1-3 classes for science and maths. I know that I would be out of my depth teaching calculus to senior high-school students, but just remember the words of the master English grammer sensei Richard Murphy who said, "All you have to do is stay one lesson ahead."

We teach best what we most need to learn - Richard Bach. Illusions.

---o0o---

Yes, I spelt grammar wrongly - only the Great Allah can be perfect. :)

SeanMoran, Many thanks for the words of wisdom and support. I am seriously considering the position.

More will need to be discussed with the school before I makeup my mind.

sutyot

Currently I have 3 TEFL course certificates from i to i TEFL UK program online. I understand many school will not accept online TEFL. Intensive Course, Large Classes and Business English. Just over 20 years teaching full and part time for primary and secondary schools, colleges, universities and language schools. No degree, but some hours.

The school mentioned a 3 day cultural course for the Nonthaburi Project managed by a university. There seems to be many problems with this program. I have not heard any particular mentions, but many say it is a bad run. Anyone taught this program before?

For the governement school in Bangkok, they will accept the online TEFL and no need for cultural course. They have also seen my demo teaching and waved the degree. If the director signs a contract then they can hire me from what I understand.

Most of the teachers that I spoke with were getting a letter from the school to issue a non-immigrant B visa and then doing the same every 90 days.

SUTYOT

I breezed through the posts, so please correct me if I get something wrong.

But any company taking 50% of the salary is ludicrous! I think it's better to get out there on foot and submit CV's in person, or strike a deal with the school, pay you 45K and no 3rd party.

30K/month in Bangkok is going to be tight, especially since you are getting 30K for 24hrs of work, plus gate duties etc. I made 5k less a month for 15hrs, no gate duties, and in by 8 out by 3 in Chiang Mai.

if you were getting the full 60k I would say the work load is a breeze for the pay.

and stay far far FAR away from anything involving Ramkanghaeng.

I am not sure, but is this the program you are interested in:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ramkanghaeng...le-t310167.html

Scott, Thanks for the link to previous discussion on Nonthaburi Project.

This is what I have on the program that I was interviewed for last month.

Title : Updated! The Nonthaburi teaching project-For Native English speakers or westerners.

Next Interview to be scheduled Position : YOU:Bachelor Degree holders (ONLY) Description : Chulalongkorn University will be your Employer,but you will teach with in one of the government schools in Nonthaburi and Nonthaburi-Bangkok. Work permit and visa will/has to be done for all. You will be required to do the Thai culture course if not yet been done.The contract will commence 1 st of November .The teachers are welcome to sign up for the November semester,11 months contract. 10 % of your salary will be paid out on your last salary of the semester.Salaries as 40.000 for Native English speakers (UK,USA,CAN,NZ,AUS and South Africa). European's will be offered 35-40.000/month.Contract runs to September next year.During the holiday's Match and April the teacher will get paid a summmer salary of 10.000x2 other months full paid as.

Only invited:Bring originals and copies of,Education qualification,CV,other important documents,The CHULA application form, Passport and a photo graphs to attach the application form,dress well.

SUTYOT