Do Posters On Tv Forums Retain Copyright To Posts ?

orang37

I say (as clearly as I can): With the exception of the provisions of copyright law (fair use, copies for private use, education, etc., etc. ... whatever, the details may from country to country) the ONLY person who decides who may copy their work is the copyright holder, who may or may not also be the publisher.

But its those very exceptions that make up copyright law !! Thats like saying with the exception of accidents, manslaughter, old age, and suicide, all deaths are murder.

A person who abuses copyright law infringes upon the rights of the copyright holder.. Simple as that.. Your claiming otherwise is simply your miss understanding. You were firm in your black and white analysis (which you now back peddle from) and just as firmly wrong !!

If a person publishes a book, and then sells those books, he no longer owns the book, he owns the right to publish and distribute that work, but he no longer has full control over who may or may not copy it. The buyer of that book is perfectly entitled to copy it for many many reasons, many of which include redistributing copies, all without infringing on the work holders copyright, and without the rights holders permission. If he does make copies outside of the many valid reasons with the book he has now bought, it still is not theft, the book is his, its infringement on the rights holder.

Its actually not a hard concept to grasp.. Even tho you seem to struggle.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say (as clearly as I can): With the exception of the provisions of copyright law (fair use, copies for private use, education, etc., etc. ... whatever, the details may from country to country) the ONLY person who decides who may copy their work is the copyright holder, who may or may not also be the publisher.

But its those very exceptions that make up copyright law !! Thats like saying with the exception of accidents, manslaughter, old age, and suicide, all deaths are murder.

Exactly. But as MarkBkk is not looking at the thread anymore, we shall henceforth be deprived of the amusement provided by his heavy-handed, unorthodox interpretation of literary law (thankfully just before it approached tedium).

...Every revised version of the TOS should be announced and agreed upon by the website users...

That's a good point you make. I remember having had to select a box on some websites to confirm that I accepted the new conditions before I could complete my login. Those sites were for online banking, if I remember correctly. Of course, on ThaiVisa I do not risk losing my savings if I do not read changes of the conditions.

As for the the topic of Copyright in general, the Big Show in the world right now is the Authors Guild et al V. GOOGLE ... from the FAQ:

What is the lawsuit about?

This lawsuit involves the Google Library Project. In 2004, Google announced that it had entered into agreements with several libraries to digitize books, including books protected by U.S. copyright law, in those libraries’ collections. Several authors and publishers brought this lawsuit against Google, claiming that its digitization without permission infringed their copyrights. In response to the authors’ and publishers’ claims of copyright infringement, Google argued that its digitization of the books and display of snippets, or a few lines, of the books is permitted under the U.S. copyright law’s doctrine of "fair use." Instead of resolving the legal dispute over whether Google’s digitization and display of the books is permissible under U.S. law as a "fair use," the parties negotiated a settlement.

http://www.googlebooksettlement.com/intl/en/

• 4 weeks later...

False. Nothing modern and creative is in the public domain anymore unless the owner explicitly puts it in the public domain(*). Explicitly, as in you have a note from the author/owner saying, "I grant this to the public domain." Those exact words or words very much like them.

Website link to 10 COPYRIGHT MYTHS

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Heres a link which should answer a few questions

• 8 months later...

OK this has just stepped up a notch.. Now the Pattaya One rag, is making articles, quoting ThaiVisa forum members and attribbing their username.. And publishing it as news items..

Thats going too far and clearly not within their legal rights. As a media organisation they should know that.

OK this has just stepped up a notch.. Now the Pattaya One rag, is making articles, quoting ThaiVisa forum members and attribbing their username.. And publishing it as news items..

Thats going too far and clearly not within their legal rights. As a media organisation they should know that.

Do you have links of samples for that?

If they are, that's agreeably bogus of them to do so.

I think that this is terrible news for TV members.

I for one will be posting very very carefully from now on, If at all.

And I will certainly refrain from reccomending TV to my friends ans aquaintances.

Bad form Thai visa admin !!!!

Heres the link

Edited by Monkeypants

This is a bit worrying, you're right. Is it the print version or online? Or both? If online, do you have any links to hand?

I think that this is terrible news for TV members.

I for one will be posting very very carefully from now on, If at all.

And I will certainly refrain from reccomending TV to my friends ans aquaintances.

Bad form Thai visa admin !!!!

Heres the link

Thank you for posting that example and yes, it just seems wrong, irregardless of whether it is specifically legally wrong or not.

Please let us know how things go with your thread getting deleted as you requested.

Kuhn G. is right -- you can do many generic searches these days re: Thailand and TV.com info appears at or near the top of the list ... if your notion is that -- for privacy or some other reason -- you are willing to post info about yourself on TV and expect that it will remain solely on TV and that it to go no further, sorry -- the spiders have already taken care of that.

if your notion is that -- for privacy or some other reason -- you are willing to post info about yourself on TV and expect that it will remain solely on TV and that it to go no further, sorry

Thats not the point.

The point is that IMO Thai visa should not allow another source to quote me, without first asking me, or letting me know that it will be printed somewhere else with TV's permission.

Common courtesy at the very least is missing.

The thread I started on Chicken farming on the Farming forum has a lot of personal info which I divulged at the request of other members and for other members to benefit.

I would be rather annoyed if TV willingly knew it was going to be published elsewhere without my knowledge.

This site is run by members for members, without members there would not be a TV,

so TV, listen to your members please!

I think you are confusing TV.com with Monkeypants.blogspot.com where you can claim copyright over anything you post and also control who can reply to your posts -- as for your personal info, unless in was in a private memo (PM) it really wasn't personal; and as per forum Rule 15. not to post anything invasive of a person's privacy I guess that could include your own.

I was not aware that TV would or could willingly allow it to be published somewhere else,without my knowledge. Thats the point.

Everything you post openly on the internet will be published elsewhere by design. If you don't like that fact you should consider stop posting.

The point is that IMO Thai visa should not allow another source to quote me, without first asking me, or letting me know that it will be printed somewhere else with TV's permission.

Just a quick question on this point, is your real name "Monkeypants"?

Everything you post openly on the internet will be published elsewhere by design.

I am unable to understand the "by design" part of your post.

I assume it to mean that the very fact that it displayed on here anyone can pick it up and take it anywhere.

But the point is, should TV willingly allow it without the OP knowing nothing about it.

Shouldn't TV have a moral obligation towards it's members to let them know?

Sorry,

Am I missing something here.

Edited by Monkeypants

Everything you post openly on the internet will be published elsewhere by design.

I assume it to mean that the very fact that it displayed on here anyone can pick it up and take it anywhere.

But the point is, should TV willingly allow it without the OP knowing nothing about it.

Yes, we spend lots of work and effort to get the forum topics listed in search engines and across all social networking sites. Fully openly with no secrets attached.

All open sites want and build their software to get external traffic and organic traffic from the search engines. Again, if you don't like it you could always refrain from posting on the internet.

I would be flattered if my posting nonsense was put in a column. :whistling:

But can "Monkeypants", or other board names, legally own copyright to a post? Surely that would have to be in the name of an individual, not a silly board name?

Also, does Thai Visa actually own Pattaya One? If not, when does it see the Above Bawd in Pattaya column? How could it know what was being put into it to notify anyone?

I am wondering why some people are getting so worked up about this - posting on the internet, in a public access forum, posting under silly names?

Goodness. Get a life folks.

Straight from the forum rules

Privacy Policy for thaivisa.com

The privacy of our visitors to thaivisa.com is important to us.

Anyway I have said all I am going to say on this subject.

Thanks for your clarification TV.

Edited by Monkeypants

I put in a Google search of Saha Farms Chicken (no quotes) and your TV post on 'Contract Chicken Farming' (that you asked to be removed) came up #6 on page 2... so it is out there anyway whether it is removed or not.

... Cache is King.

Edited by jazzbo