Where Do You Feel Mexican Food Would Best Be Categorized?

Jingthing

Where do you feel Mexican food would best be categorized?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sour grapes. If the results were to your liking, you would be crowing. I, on the other hand, EXPECTED the results to go your way, and would have happily acknowledged and accepted them as the majority will of the members here.

What do you want, a poll about whether French food belongs in western or that Korean belongs in international? Mexican food is a global fusion cuisine and good arguments can be made to call it western and also good arguments can be made to call it not western. Thus, the controversy. Sorry the results do not meet your desires. Grow up.

post-37101-1262073920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should have had an option for Mexican food getting its own sub-forum. Pizza and hamburgers deserve the same.

That is a totally separate issue. If it interests you, starting a poll is open to all. Cheers.

Ok, a separate sub-forum in either Western, International or Thai food for all we care JT.

Come on now, tell us, who put up to this?

Should have had an option for Mexican food getting its own sub-forum. Pizza and hamburgers deserve the same.

That is a totally separate issue. If it interests you, starting a poll is open to all. Cheers.

Ok, a separate sub-forum in either Western, International or Thai food for all we care JT.

You seem to be attempting to muddy the waters and change the subject of a very clear question in this poll. It has NOTHING to do with the daft idea of creating new micro subtopics forums.

Who put me up to this poll? I dunno, El Diablo made me do it, OK?

post-37101-1262077069.jpg

Mexican Devil's Shrimp

Edited by Jingthing

You seem to be attempting to muddy the waters and change the subject of a very clear question in this poll. It has NOTHING to do with the daft idea of creating new micro subtopics forums.

Who put me up to this poll? I dunno, the devil made me do it, OK?

I dont think there is anything daft about sub forums. Ever try to find something on TV? Would certainly cut down the seemingly monthly restarting of old topics.

Take a look at the Western Food section, its 6 topics related to mexican food or restaurants. No wonder very few people go in there besides a few regulars.

My poll:

a) Jingthing knows how to create a valid and reliable poll.

b ) Jingthing hasn't a clue how to create a valid and reliable poll.

c) Jingthing has no interest in creating valid and reliable polls, just polls that support his presumptions.

Please explain why the content of THIS poll is not objective rather than resorting to personal attacks? I simply took the actual EXISTING food subforums and asked people to make a free will choice where they think that Mexican food BEST fits. I can't imagine a more totally objective poll.

Plus, I already told you, I expected this poll to go AGAINST my personal opinion. I certainly did not add any design elements in the poll to push it one way or another. I am very surprised about the clear results. The vast majority feel as I do that Mexican food fits BETTER in the international food forum rather than the western food forum.

Now, the only remaining question is whether the mods will respect the will of the majority of the members here, or not (even in cases where they themselves think international is the "wrong" answer). They are the bosses; we can only make suggestions.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not the one who brought up this subject you did, I do not care where any food goes in what category,

with the way the poll was set up, 39 some votes a six vote lead I would hardly call that a majority.

You hide behind the poll, so you do not have to engage in discussions, to buttress your position. You asked for reasons why Mexican Food was considered a western cuisine. I gave you some well documented points as to why?

Now your position is Mexico is a Western Country, But it cuisine is not a Western Cuisine. Sour Grapes?

I expected an educated,informed, documented answer to my post. I know now none exists.

By the way something stinks about that poll.

the site shows 480 views, 39 post.

Yet the vote is 17 Western, 24 international, 7 no choice -A total of 48 votes.

The vote Count shows 50 votes cast,

Why the difference in votes, 39 post, vote total shows 48 votes cast ((9 more than # of post) the vote count totals 48 and the vote total on the vote count is 50 votes casts.

Something smell bad, very fuzzy math.

Who is doing it, certainly not a regular member.

Cheers:

Kiko, you are being silly! Each member can only vote ONCE. Each member can VIEW the thread an INFINITE number of times. Nothing fishy. And a 15 percent gap in votes is a huge majority by anyone's definition. I already gave my reasons for why I think Mexican BETTER fits in international rather than western. Why repeat them just for you, someone who is clearly very emotionally involved in this topic, and for some strange reason, can't accept the results.

Edited by Jingthing

This is one of the more bizarre tangents I've seen and I've been watching it since it popped up in the Western food forum, but people are tired of us destroying threads by dragging them into "What is real Mexican food?" debates. I'm sure jingthing doesn't mean it this way, but since I'm one of the long-time debaters in the Mexican food threads and I've been eating it my whole life, I'll just say it: Just because Mexicans aren't white and don't make everything with potatoes and bread and cheese doesn't mean they're not Western. Mexican food s Western. Everything from outside Thailand is International. Most of all, which forum what thing goes in doesn't matter at all.

I agree this issue doesn't matter very much. However, there are lots of Mexican topics. People obviously aren't going to put them under Thai. So the other choices are western or international. I have stated my reasons why international is the better fit in this situation. I acknowledge good arguments can be made for either choice, but I think a definitive choice should be made, and then enforced, to keep things easier and clearer for the members. This isn't about race. A huge percentage of Mexicans are indeed "white" and mixed race; that isn't the point. Its about the culture of the food.

Back to poll, yes, I do think the results of this poll should be honored, as opposed to purely subjective opinions of mods (who they themselves are split on this question).

Edited by Jingthing

There is a bias concerning this poll ,the choices , the wording, The general forum instead of the food forum..The targeting of only Mexican food!

The indication that a couple of Mods back the change of forums.

The number of post you post, influences the outcome.

The number of US members far out number the number of Mexican members.

This poll is about as fair as an Iranian election!

Cheers:

Uh, which mods "backed" the change of forums?  If you mean me, well, I rather explicitly stated that I am fine with it in Western as that is where it seemed most people seem to think it should be. As a posting member, I think the taxonomy of Mexican cuisine, as well as many US cuisines, would put it out of the western camp and into somewhere else.  And as a member, I think I am entitled to an opinion.  As a mod, I stated that it would most likely remain in western unless it was demonstrated that most posting members would prefer it in international.  So once again, I ask, which mods backed the switch?

As far as the poll going in general, why not?  It has since been moved, and I am fine with that, but if it was in the food section, as we have no general food section, only the three sub-sections, where was he supposed to put it?  

I could not find the poll in its new category, I have to go back to general topics and click on the old poll.

I also would like to see the OPs answer the mods question ?

What 2 mods are you referring to!

I also was asked a question, to what I am inferring, when I stated the poll votes do not add up, if 55 members voted and there are 52 on the vote count .There are only 4 possible choices .

What happened to the other 3 votes?

Thats what I was referring to!

I also would like to ask what is the Criteria "The Mods" are going to consider RE:what constitutes a majority vote!

At the moment the OP is crowing about the great majority of the voters favor his position, a 5 vote lead , not including the 3 missing votes.

One post on Mexican food, (On Tacos and Salsa) has 300 post, another (Best Mexican Restaurant in Bangkok), has 257 posts.

The poll is not being taken in the food forum, where the members that will be effected, that post on the subject are, Why?

How many members are registered in Thai Forum ?

What percentage of those members will be considered a majority by "The Mods" that are going to make the decision on moving the forum?

Why is the vote considered non -bias, by moving it around to different forums?

I think those are valid questions, What criteria is to be used in the decision.

That is my answer to the Mods question!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Give it a break, bub. This isn't like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories or the supreme court, Bush versus Gore.

Majority vote decides, of course.

You have a week to make rational, coherent points to try to persuade people in a positive way. Go for it.

Edited by Jingthing

we got to stop this funny bizniz and have just two subforums: thai food and non-thai food and have ongoing threads for mexican cuisine like Random Posts or the Hotbum/Good Ass Thread in Bedlam...yew could doll it up with lotsa fotos too...

I ain't much qualified to judge about Thailand as I don't live in BKK and the only decent mexican meal that I've had in the past 20 odd years was at a cafe in Santa Cruz, CA in 1999 at 8 in the am...chorizo an' eggs, rice an' beans and a stack of fresh corn tortillas, they didn't have no Superior beer, unfortunately...some farm worker types lounging in the background..

how many mexican food related threads are active on TV at the moment?

Most cuisines are obvious -

Thai

Western

International

Some are not. However, there aren't many POPULAR cuisines in Thailand that are not obvious. Mexican is one of them. There are of course others, but none as popular as Mexican.

So I disagree that separating western and international is useless. Also consider the vast majority of members on this board are from western countries. Surely western food deserves its own category.

Also consider before there was the international category, many people were posting OTHER Asian cuisines under Thai, which was all wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

:)

we got to stop this funny bizniz and have just two subforums: thai food and non-thai food and have ongoing threads for mexican cuisine like Random Posts or the Hotbum/Good Ass Thread in Bedlam...yew could doll it up with lotsa fotos too...

I ain't much qualified to judge about Thailand as I don't live in BKK and the only decent mexican meal that I've had in the past 20 odd years was at a cafe in Santa Cruz, CA in 1999 at 8 in the am...chorizo an' eggs, rice an' beans and a stack of fresh corn tortillas, they didn't have no Superior beer, unfortunately...some farm worker types lounging in the background..

how many mexican food related threads are active on TV at the moment?

I agree with your suggestion, That if there is to be any changes, To be fair to all concerned. That there only be two food forums,

Thai Food

Non-Thai foods

As This Forum is Thailand Based.

Cheers:

That is a separate topic. If you feel strongly about promoting that idea, why not start a new thread and do so? Or better yet, you may want to start a poll as you seem to be have very strong opinions on designing polls, here is your golden chance!

This thread is clearly defined, how to categorize Mexican food using the EXISTING forums.

I will be there to disagree with you there; but this is not the place for that.

Edited by Jingthing

This is not an Ethnocentric Forum, It is a Thai Forum.

If there is to be any changes, it should not Discriminate against one National Food "Mexican".

To make the Thai Forum free of any type of Discrimination, It should be changed to Thai Food, Non-Thai food.

As the International forum has very little activity and Its inclusion in two combining both non Thai food forums. All foods that are non-Thai should be include, in that forum.

International Forum dose not include only other Asian Cuisines, It Should include all non-Thai Cuisine. Thats what international means!

As you stated that the Mods will make the Changes ,If any. Not the vote on this poll!

Cheers:

I dunno...we got indian curries and british-indian curries and authentic mexican as opposed to tex-mex/cal-mex and all the comments are from western expats, as the non-authentic version is what is mostly discussed on the forum...

to an extent I can buy the indexing argument put forward by one of the mods to facilitate easy access to info on locally available cuisine...but we have a search facility that serves as a reference desk of sorts...

sheesh...the vodka's run out, I'm goin' to bed... :)

If there is to be any changes, it should not Discriminate against one National Food "Mexican".

Sorry, that sounds paranoid. This isn't about discrimination. It is about whether to classify Mexican, a fusion cuisine that has elements of western European cuisine MIXED with various other non-European influences in the western or international food forums here. That is all. The subject only came up because Mexican is so popular and its classification is not as obvious as other cuisines. For example, French is obviously western, Korean is obviously not western and not Thai, thus international.

Under the current classification organization of the food forum, ALL national cuisines go in one of the forums. For the ambiguous ones that are not obvious, they can end up in different forums. If there are other POPULAR ambiguous national cuisines that you would like to discuss where they belong, please speak up. Again, no discrimination at all against the wonderful country of Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

Mexican food ranks right up there with with all other sustenance foods that poor people eat. Tortillas and beans hardly classifies on an international cuisine list.

Spoken like a true Brit. :D

Of course, offal, shepherd's pie and Scottish haggis is what great cuisine is all about! :)

I'm not a Brit. I'm a Canadian. We are more likely to dine on salmon, halibut, prawns, crab, or one of the many kinds of wild meat: roast venison, moose, wild sheep, caribou, elk, or even beaver. I've always enjoyed eating beaver. It's non fattening. :D

Then we can toss in wild berries and sweet corn. :D

good one i enjoy beaver too. seems nobody picked up on your wit